I bought a used 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, and have it for about a year. No problems, worked great til this past week - dead battery, replaced it instead of charging it, it was at its 5 year life.
It overheated - the fan wasn't turning on, after looking on here and several other sites, I found someone with a dead battery and the fan dying when it overheated. They stated it was the fan control relay under the passenger side headlight (under the plastic).
2 bolts, remove headlight, hard to pull out, don't be gentle, work it left and right side. Cut the plastic left rear of the plastic casing, the fan control relay is under the plastic there (5/16 to take it off 2 bolts).
I replaced the fan control relay for about 50.00 at Napa and it runs fine now. Also a lot of people I talked to seems like a common thing to happen.
Thank you and hope it helps more people.
I bought my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado not even six months ago. It has 70,000 miles on it. The low coolant light always comes on, but the coolant is full! Somehow it is not getting to the engine. I feel like I have replaced every possible cause of the problem under the hood, but the low coolant light is still coming on. Today my oil gauge was on 0 and the temperature gauge was at 260 (A/C ON). There was a really loud noise coming out from my Jeep that sounded like a motorcycle. I had to pull over and let my car cool down. Then I drove home with the A/C off. I am so disappointed with the quality of Jeeps. I can't believe how many people have the same problems with overheating/coolant. I am selling my Jeep this week as soon as I get this problem fixed!!! No more Jeeps!!!
I am a retired lady who bought a 2000 Cherokee Laredo 4 cylinder with 87,500 miles in April of this year. I drive this vehicle an average of 15 miles per week, since I only live 2 miles from my part-time job. I use the AC very little.
On the 3rd day of driving the low coolant light came on and it started loosing coolant. I have had it in for repair for this problem six times and it is still loosing coolant. The dealership's repair shop pressure tests it each time and says there is no pressure loss. However, they have replaced the sensor and replaced a hose with a "pin-size" hole.
I also had to have the car towed when it wouldn't start, and they had to replace the battery cables. In addition, as I was driving in the city one day, the car started to lose power and smoke was pouring out of the car. Luckily, I was near the dealership and they had to replace the right brake line.
Yesterday, I started having problems with the car starting. I am having to pump the gas pedal quite a few times for the engine to kick over. I am afraid each time that I get in the vehicle that something else will be wrong or that I will be in an accident because of car problems.
I can't afford to purchase a new car and I can't afford to keep paying for repairs. I am frustrated about all of the problems that I am having. Is there any recourse for us to have something done about the major problems with this model? If so, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
We have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo also, and have the same coolant issue. We have replaced the water pump and oil sending unit because that too was freaking out the oil gauge. It would drop to 0, and then when we accelerated it would pick back up. Once we replaced the oil sending unit, that no longer was an issue. Only the coolant and over heating is now an issue.
The best thing anyone could tell me was sell the Jeep. The engine ended up going. It was at 180K when it happened. We always smelt burning fluids, but no leaks. The oil looked normal and so didn't the transmission fluid. The jeep started to make a low knock, which got louder over a course of a week.
Hi everyone, I own a 1999 JGC, 4.0 I6, with most of the problems listed on here. Here are a couple of the ways I was able to fix SOME of the problems... and no, I am NOT a mechanic. These repairs were completed in my home garage, with basic tools.
Brake warp - After 2 COMPLETE brake overhauls (calipers, pads, discs) within a 2 year period, using standard Mopar parts (why do they continue to sell these defective parts???), I switched to Akebono calipers, pads, discs, and brake lines used in the newer GC's. 43,000 miles later and I haven't had a single issue yet.
Overheating - I had replaced the fan relay with less-expensive "parts-store" brands and also a Mopar relay from the dealer, but they quickly burned out, and the overheating continued once again... and again, and again. After talking to a Mopar dealer months later, he informed me that they had a change in suppliers and the new relays were not as problematic as before, so I purchased one (about $70) and installed it. Now my cooling fan engages/disengages as it should, and no more overheating.
I realize this posting won't help everyone with their GC problems, but hopefully it will help someone.
I have been having the same problem with overheating and coolant loss for two years and no one can find the problem. Have had two water pumps, a new radiator and radiator hose replaced and still showing low coolant. Oil pressure is over as high as it can go on the gauge.
Am terrified of breaking down or the engine blowing. Please any suggestions anyone or should I just get rid of it. 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6-cylinder for sale CHEAP.
I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee; same coolant problems after my Jeep went to the dealer for a radiator fan recall. 2 years of running hot, 1 water pump, 1 radiator, 1 thermostat, 1 coolant temperature sensor.
Now it's time to cut a hole behind headlight to change a relay - what a fine engineered junk!!! Who knows if that will solve the problem.
If I leave the sensor unplugged, watch the engine light stay on, not know my temperature, and my fan will stay on.
I have a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Brake problems to the max on the rear end passenger side. Had the rotors replaced and the caliper squeaks with each rotation of the wheel. Mechanics have told me the axle is bent, but I don't remember any incident that would have bent the axle. Coolant problems... had the water pump replaced a couple of years ago and that seemed to solve that problem. However last summer, the fan stopped working and it overheated when at a stop light or similar thing. The dealership said there was a short in the fan motor... sounds like the relay problem you folks have had. Today, I was out and about and noticed a huge drop in oil pressure. The gauge usually runs at about 40-45 and when I would slow down or idle the needle dropped to 0 or just a bit above... another problem you folks have had. I would like to get rid of mine too! LOL.
M. in Nebraska.
Next page of comments >
Copyright 1997 - 2013 CSDO Media Limited Advertise on this site