2004 Jeep Liberty Limited from Puerto Rico - Comments

13th Dec 2012, 12:30

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty. I have loved this vehicle, but I have had numerous u-joints replaced, front and back, more than once.

Also, the motors on both back windows, and now my mechanic has told me that the motor is gone due to sludge. Why? I have changed the oil every 3000-3500 miles for the last 6 years I have owned it.

I am mad. I have about 150,000 miles on the Jeep, and no money to replace a motor or buy another car. I want to be included with any lawsuit that is filed. It is plain to see there is a problem. No more Jeeps for me - I am going back to Nissan!!!

14th Dec 2012, 11:12

Sorry to hear about your engine, but I owned a Pathfinder and a Liberty - I'll take a Liberty over a Pathfinder every time.

17th Jan 2013, 22:23

Here's my story regarding my 2002 Liberty.

Four years ago I changed the original 3.7L engine, which had 323,400km (194,000 miles), with a 2003 used engine with 180,000km (108,000 miles). The original engine had a bad number 2 cylinder (compression was down 70%). That was a $4000 expense.

Now, today that second engine has died at 332,000km (199,000 miles). My options are, put in a another used engine at 108,000km (65,000 miles) at a cost of about $4000. Or option 2, try to find another pre-owned Liberty in the same price range, or option 3, wait until mid June when Jeep introduces the redesigned 2014 Liberty with a 3.2 liter engine and nine speed auto transmission, that they claim will get far better gas mileage than the 3.7L ever did or will for that matter (i.e.: it's a gas hog).

So there it is folks, that's my story.

18th Jan 2013, 13:58

You're not doing too badly to have gotten 200k miles out of two consecutive engines, considering the problems that other people have had. If you have run up 300k on the rolling chassis and drive train, it would seem that you have gotten your money's worth. It may be time to stick a fork in it, breathe a sigh of relief, and move on to something that will hopefully be more trouble-free.

4th Feb 2013, 20:12

My 2009 Jeep Liberty Limited 54000 miles, has had the serpentine belt replaced, water pump, spark plugs, wires, and coil replaced in the last months.

In the last month it has been in the shop 1 day every week. The sensor says I have a misfire; it misfires every week. I get it checked, reset, and then the next day the check engine light dings again.

It overheated last week when it was 2 degrees out; some air bubble in the fluid line was throwing the sensor off, making it think it was hot. Nothing better than turning off your heat when it's freezing out.

I am ready to cry. Where do I sign up for a class action suit?

5th Feb 2013, 10:04

I've always had good luck with my Jeeps, both Wranglers & Libertys (I've owned 3 of each), but my "Certified" 2007 Liberty Limited is always in the shop for one thing or another too, and it only has 53,000 miles on it. If it weren't for the extended warranty, this Jeep would have wiped me out by now, but even with the warranty, the cost to diagnose each problem & the deductibles are killing me anyway. In hindsight, I guess should have purchased something else this time.

6th Feb 2013, 07:37

A follow-up to my comment about my 2007 Liberty being more troublesome than my other Jeeps. It was in the shop yesterday - one of the reasons was that the check engine light was on - the reason given was low battery voltage? Huh? This is a new battery put in less than a month ago, and when the original battery was still installed it was cranking slow and obviously on its last legs - now with the new battery I'm told that it set off the "check engine light".

Something tells me that I either have a defective new battery, or the light will suddenly come on again and I will be given a different reason next time.

9th Mar 2013, 13:29

Did you fix the problem, because I have the same problem?

9th Apr 2013, 23:31

Our 2003 Jeep Liberty's engine seized today. The mechanic said one of the engine rods had locked up in two places, and would likely require a rebuild or a completely new engine. We are at about 125,000 miles. There were no oil or oil pressure issues, nor did we notice any overheating, so the cause is at this point unknown.

10th Mar 2014, 00:28

At this time I'm replacing my engine due to the oil pump going out and no sign of warning!!!

Add another comment