2001 Kia Rio Reviews - Page 6 of 21

2001 Kia Rio LS 1.3 petrol from Romania

Engine and transmission 1.3 petrol Manual
Previous carNissan Micra

Summary:

A good car for small many

The only thing that got bad is a strange beating noise coming "PROBABLY" FROM steering gear. I went to kia service they sad its not a defect yet.

General Comments:

A very-very handsome car, comfortable, petrol saving, not causing big problems, practical.

Review Date: 18th September, 2006

2001 Kia Rio from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Distance when acquired19080 miles
Previous carFord Aerostar

Summary:

I am a very satisfied Kia customer

The original tires are very cheap. I had a sidewall blowout while going around a corner... they were very thin corded tires. I immediately put on Toyos.

General Comments:

I bought this Rio used for less than $5000 and have put nearly $60,000 miles on it over they last three and a half years without a problem. I commute 57 miles a day and get 37 miles to the gallon. I am extremely happy. So much so that I went out and bought a Kia Sedona van.

Review Date: 14th September, 2006

2001 Kia Rio 1.5 litre from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 1.5 litre Manual
Previous carMitsubishi Lancer

Summary:

Don't let your good car get wiped out by a taxi!

This is a tiny piece of crud. I only bought it because my previous car a wonderful never fail me Mitsubishi Lancer got wiped out by a taxi. Well first things first. It was extremely hard to get into gear, once it was in first gear it was hard to get into second gear... and so on.

I took it to the dealer where I got it, mind you driving half way across town in second gear because it refused to go into third. The dealer is a smarmy bugger, didn't believe me, jumped in the car and couldn't get it even it first (victory to me!). In the end under warranty it got a new gearbox and clutch.

Second thing, I was driving to pick up a pizza, and clunk bang, all this metal falls on the ground, oh gee the Kia disease has struck again, this time it was the clutch plate CABLE!!! It's the sort of thing you don't even think about in a car. Anyway that got replaced and it's been so so since then. But, I don't know how the Australian Government even let Kia sell their rubbish here. The name says it all K_illed I_n A_Ction!!!

General Comments:

Rattles a lot.

Sounds like a house with no furniture, hollow and empty.

No guts.

Cheap Korean crap.

Plastic wheel caps whirl around waiting to fly off and injure an innocent passer by.

Review Date: 8th September, 2006

2001 Kia Rio rs 1.5 from North America

Distance when acquired120000 kilometres
Previous carGeo Tracker

Summary:

Seriously?

Third day of purchase my driver side door lock stopped working, repaired it then stopped working again. Then my passenger side door locked stopped working leaving me not being able to lock my doors. My hand brake jammed up and broke. My engine light came on after a couple of weeks of purchase. One night I went out to my car and smelt a heavy odour of gas and decided to start it anyway who knows I could've blown myself up! A friend told me not to fill it up past full because its probably a hole in the tank. After about 1 one year the car won't start right away after a couple turns it will. This went on till today. Then one day not to long ago the engine of the car seems to lose power and I mean horespower, in second gear with the pedal to the metal Miss Daisy would've beat me to the finish line! Then as quickly as it came it would leave (the power or torque or whatever). Not to normal to me. And this problem persists to today. Right now my car won't start and I'll have to lose a day of work to go waste money at the garage. thanks Kia!

General Comments:

Never in my right mind would I ever recommend this car to anyone. In fact, everyone I can I tell not to buy Kia.

Review Date: 30th August, 2006

2001 Kia Rio 4 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

Good for driving in town, but not much else

My spark plug blew shortly after I got the car. This problem was fixed and a routine malfunction.

The ignition wires were chewed by mice, but this was the mice's fault.

The check engine light comes on periodically and the car shakes at stoplights and when you drive over 60 miles an hour.

General Comments:

The car is really nice for driving to school and work, but I don't drive it on highways because it frequently doesn't go that fast.

When driving with 5 people in the car there were issues with gear changing. It would not go faster than 50 miles an hour.

The car stalls in the rain.

Sometimes the key gets stuck and it is difficult to turn the ignition.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2006

24th Apr 2006, 09:51

I would have that acceleration with passengers aboard problem fixed. I had a 1980 Tercel with a small engine and I was still able to cruise at 65 with five people aboard (which was rare, but I did it).

I can't fathom two decades after my Tercel was built a more advanced car couldn't do the same thing.

19th Apr 2007, 21:24

I agree, it sounds like there's something seriously wrong. I managed to wring my Rio out to 115mph, admittedly with no passengers, a tail wind and cool air! Shaking at stop lights could be caused by a faulty pedal box - a common problem. Have you had a wheel alignment and checked the rims for cracks?