2001 Kia Rio from North America

Summary:

I would not buy another KIA model in my entire life-very unhappy

The main problem that I have had with this car is stalling out in idle mode. (Meaning, I am either at a stop light or sign and the car cuts completely off. Thankfully, after turning the car off and into Park and then restarting, the car starts back up-but it is very nerve wracking when this happens, because I don't know if and when the car will no longer start back up.

General Comments:

It is roomier than other cars, such as the Toyota Echo.

The seats don't go that far back and I have bonked my head on the roof of the car numerous times (while getting into and out of the vehicle-not recommended for short people.)

Car does not travel smoothly at speeds higher than 55 m.p.h.

As a new car buyer, I would not recommend this car to other people due to mechanical issues that are un-solveable.

Review Date: 28th March, 2006

28th Mar 2006, 16:01

Sounds to me it's a simple fuel injector cleaning. What has Kia done about your problem?

2001 Kia Rio LS 1.5 from North America

Summary:

I would buy and recommend the KIA Rio

The trailing arm in the rear is cracked. The dealer wanted $900.00 to fix it. I have been driving it for a year like that. Why fix it now!

There isn't a lot of room inside. But it is a smaller car.

General Comments:

I drove this car to Ottawa (600 ks away),it was wonderful. Last summer 5 of us drove to Orlando Florida (5000 ks there & back).Very easy on gas. I spent $200.00 US.Can't go wrong there. It was a very nice trip all in all.

It handled the mountains very well for a small car & motor.

Review Date: 5th February, 2006

2001 Kia Rio from North America

Summary:

Friends don't let friends buy Kia's

There were 4 recalls on this car. It needed a new transmission at 28,000 miles. It had a timing belt that skipped teeth, stalled for no reason, the engine light would come on every few months, and it made very loud noises when I went to start it when it was too hot outside or too cold outside.

General Comments:

This car did give me a lot of grief, but at least I had the warranty to fix the problems.

Review Date: 2nd December, 2005

2001 Kia Rio RS 1.5 from North America

Summary:

I will never buy another Kia.

The first year of owning this car I had to have the back bearings replaced, I was traveling at the time to the US.

I could never stop the car from shaking after 100km/hr.

Wears tires out like I wear out my sneakers. Gas mileage was great in the beginning, but a month after it got harder on fuel. The second year I had to replace the plug wires. I had only 50,000kms on it. It is not covered on warranty, and they are $100 for four! The Air bag light comes on and off. The engine light came on three times before I hit 70,000kms. The gas light is on and I have a full tank.

General Comments:

At least the warning lights work!

Review Date: 31st July, 2005

2001 Kia Rio Upgraded Package from North America

Summary:

Good, but not great

The driver side front car door jammed failed at 45,000.

The car shut off for no reason 3 times in the past 9 months.

Car shakes with A/C on.

Paint chips very easily.

General Comments:

I brought my 2001 Kia Rio used 9 months ago. So far it has been really a good investment.

It drives very well and get good gas mileage. However, the car shakes badly when the A/C is on full blast. So far, I have had no major problems with the engine.

The only major problem I had with the car is when my driver side front door jammed all at once. I was able to open the door to drive, but I could not get out. I had to take it to the car dealership. I was told that all kias (including used cars) were still under 5 yr/ 60,000 mile warranty. However, I had to pay for the door myself due to the fact that it was not due to normal "wear and tear".

It`s a decent car even for a used car for the true needy.

Review Date: 16th July, 2005