2001 Kia Rio Reviews - Page 5 of 21

2001 Kia Rio BX 1.5 from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture2001
Previous carVolvo 240

Summary:

Cheap and Nasty - Unrefined.

Accelerator is very sticky for no apparent reason.

Clutch is not smooth yet no problem is clear.

Spark Plugs and Leads at approx. 80k's.

General Comments:

After driving a very sluggish and heavy volvo, there is little improvement in this car. It is quite bluntly, gutless.

In city conditions there is excessive roadnoise, and when country driving it is terrible. The cabin is very poorly insulated from road noise.

The car produces a lot of rattles and squeaks on relatively smooth roads.

It is one of the most uncomfortable cars I have ever ridden in. There is practically no interior room and the seats are like sitting on stacks of bricks.

The clutch is long and sloppy and the accelerator is tight and sticky. This mated with the rubbery gear-box which gives little feedback makes the car quite hard to drive unless you are very used to it.

Handling is extremely poor, and I do not feel safe cornering at any reasonable speed in this car and find myself slowing traffic.

Having said all this, the car can be fun to have a bit of a thrash around in.

Visibility is good, making the car easy to park.

It is very cheap to run and is a car that you really have to drive.

As a first car, while perhaps not the safest, will give a great base level of actual driving experience, uninsulated, making them safer in the long run.

BUt I would never buy another Kia.

Review Date: 30th January, 2007

19th Mar 2007, 00:42

I think this review is a little bit on the side. Agreed that the Rio is "cheap'n nasty" but why did you buy this car in the first place? Uncomfy seats, sluggish, no sound insulation? Agreed, but any of this should be apparent after a five min test drive. This car is for the people that need the most basic transportation and I thought that this was apparent? I mean, nobody buys these clatter boxes because they are luxury cars.

25th Sep 2011, 07:18

Agreed. I have a 2007 Kia Rio, and I have never had any issues with it. In fact, someone hit the front of my car and it held up well. I have over 120,000 miles on it, simply because it was bought to drive all over creation. For crappy and nasty, I do see a lot of people with these cars, so they must be doing something right. I have no issues with the Rio!

2001 Kia Rio from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carDodge Caravan

Summary:

Cheap

Factory tires suck. I replaced them with decent tires and they've held up fine.

The paint scratches very easily. Around 70,000 miles the car wouldn't turn on at all and the battery went dead because of the alternator.

I had the transmission replaced at 50,000, but it was under warranty.

Automatic transmision has trouble switching from second to third gear. Also, sometimes when I put the car in reverse, the engine stalls.

General Comments:

I can't imagine that the people who buy a KIA expect the car to be great. For $8,500, who would?

It is very noisy on the highway. Also on the highway the car gets blown around like it's in a tornado.

Hubcaps are very noisy.

When you turn the heat or A/C on, the whole car vibrates.

However, it is awesome on gas. Every serious problem I've had has been under warranty.

Most of the people who bought this car didn't do any research on it. I knew it was a cheap car when I bought it, so I expect that it has problems.

I would not recommend buying this car used!

Review Date: 3rd October, 2006