2002 Land Rover Discovery II SE 4.0 V8 from North America

Summary:

It's a blast as long as you know stuff will break

Spare tire mount.

Door lock actuator.

Alternator & battery.

ABS/TC/HD lights/sensors.

Sunroof mechanism failed.

Horns failed.

Assorted electrical & mechanical issues.

General Comments:

I had a Mustang GT previously, so I obviously wasn't getting anywhere in the weather, nor could I haul anything.

I got the Land Rover wanting the best in off road capability, but somehow forgot to look at maintenance.

Oops.

Had a lot of problems early, and took it to the dealer where they proceeded to handcuff me to the waiting room table and violate me from the hindquarters in a most disrespectful manner, while extracting large sums of cash. How rude. I nearly got rid of it because I couldn't handle any more $1500 bills.

Then I found a local mechanic who had a good reputation with foreign cars. Automatically my bills were cut in half. I've been religious with all routine maintenance since I bought the vehicle.

What I've learned:

1. Don't ever, EVER, take this vehicle to the dealer. Find a reputable local mechanic. I drive 20 miles to the mechanic to get service because the dealer is twice as much.

2. Don't ever forget rule #1.

3. Stuff will break. This is no Honda. Expect strange things breaking and expect to pay for it. I expect to pay $1200-$1500/yr now in maintenance and repair bills. It's in my budget now.

4. It IS kick-ass off road. Took it to a buddy's hunting cabin about 5 miles off road and over a stream, and it was a blast! Also had about 50 inches of snow this winter and I was the only one on the block climbing over 30" snow banks and up the steep hills in my neighborhood. Booyah! Didn't even think twice about taking it to the mountains during a shutdown snowstorm for serious snowboarding, when everyone else was sipping hot chocolate at home.

Overall, I'm happy once I figured out how to hack it as a LR owner. I work from home and only put about 8500 miles/year on it. I was going to get rid of it in a few years, but figure I might as well just keep it until the engine blows up and then part it out.

Review Date: 14th June, 2010

26th Aug 2010, 10:06

Great honest review! Thanks for posting, I'm considering this exact vehicle, and appreciate the review!

15th May 2011, 21:46

I also have a 2000 SE. A lot of the sensors provide erroneous reports and then after a while the lights go off, thus you don't have a problem.

It is very important to follow the maintenance schedule to the letter. My Jeep Cherokee in the past year cost more to fix then the LR. You may pay slightly more at the dealer but the work is guaranteed (only bring to dealer for complicated items). If the problem comes back up to 3 months later the repair is on them, they also provide a brand new vehicle loaner when your vehicle is being repaired so I'm a happy customer.

I've had the vehicle for 4 years and my repair and maintenance was around 2K over this period. Also, don't be afraid to get a Rave manual and do some the work yourself. The engine is based on 1963 GM technology. You can also get a lot of parts off eBay real cheap.

2002 Land Rover Discovery SD V8 from North America

Summary:

This is a piece of crap vehicle

Rear door leaked.

Rear window wiper broke at 35,000 miles.

Front window leaked from day one.

AC drain lines plugged and leaked inside the vehicle.

Manifold bolts rusted off around 35000 miles.

Left rear wheel well rusted away from quarter panel at 35000 miles.

Engine top end had to be rebuilt at 75000 miles, and we also found out the time that the dealer had rebuilt 14 others in the previous 10 months and cost $5800.

The windshield wipers cost $45 and only last 6 months.

The rear door latch rusted along with the hinges even after being lubricated with a marine grade lube on a regular schedule of maintenance.

Transmission stops working in cold weather.

Rear light gaskets leak and short out bulbs.

General Comments:

My general comments?

If that list doesn't say junk vehicle then I don't know what would.

This vehicle was nice until we hit the 30,000 mile mark when the vehicle started to fall apart.

I tried to get help from the mfg., but they had no cares and just said the vehicle was out of warranty.

They even went as far to say that all of the engine repairs were separate and maintenance issues... Hmmm, they all had been serviced at the same dealer.

I can't believe there is not a class action law suit.

Blue Book says trade in value is $5000ish, dealer says...$2500 after they rebuilt the engine for over $5000.

And god forbid you bring it in with the engine defect; they offer you $500 for a trade in.

Review Date: 29th November, 2009

29th Nov 2009, 20:08

Land Rovers are very strange in that most everyone I know who owns one has had a decent experience with theirs, but I've also seen several come into my mechanic's shop with some horrendous problems. One of my relatives has driven theirs well over 150,000 miles with no major problems, save for a sagging headliner, and my mechanic had a Range Rover with over 100k that was reliable for his wife. One of my cousins, however, ordered a Discovery brand-new and was always running back-and-forth to the dealer for repairs.

13th Dec 2009, 15:22

Land Rovers in general have atrocious resale value. At one point I wanted to buy a 1998 Discovery, but with a weak dealer network (closest being about 100 miles away) and lack of readily available parts in general, I thought, no way. The look and image it projects is nice, but...