2000 Land Rover Freelander 1.8 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Back to the drawing board

The motor blew up from a stone hitting the cam belt, as the dealer sold me the car without a side guard. And no engine mount. Waited 1 month to get it back.

The headers burnt the splash guard; had to wrap them with heat bandage.

2 engine mounts snapped on the right side of the motor. Replaced for $30.

Now has a loud noise in the motor. Sounds like the tappets.

Hill descent control light will not go off (Amber). I've never used this.

Traction control light will not go off (Amber). I've never used this.

ABS brake light will not go off (Amber). Just came on with the other lights.

Top radiator hose just blew up yesterday, and now my throttle keeps sticking, therefore revving the motor out of control.

General Comments:

Appalling engine design, hard to get at the oil filter, hard to get to the thermostat.

Hard to get parts, they cost an arm and a leg to buy.

The vehicle has no rust in it, and the windows work good.

The good thing is I have a mechanical warranty.

The bad thing is I'm not sure if it is going to cover all the problems?

Review Date: 12th April, 2015

2000 Land Rover Freelander 3 Door Soft Top Wagon 1.8L petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Cosmetics - thumbs up. Mechanics - a complete and utter nightmare

Three weeks after owning this vehicle, it required a new clutch and all new brakes.

It was very difficult to find reverse and 2nd gear, if at all, until the clutch was replaced.

The brakes made an awfully loud squealing sound until it was discovered they were down to bare metal, so new pads and discs were required.

At 104,000km (approx), the head gasket blew, resulting in the engine over heating. A new headgasket and new head were required, costing me $2,430.

This problem with the head gasket happened THREE MORE TIMES. The last time resulting in water mixing in through the entire engine, including the oil, and oil going in to the water.

My 'lovely' Land Rover Freelander was running on just two of its four cylinders when I was told by my trusted mechanic that my engine was completely unusable, and I would need a whole new one. The bill for which was just starting at $3000. And that was being conservative.

There was, of course, the chance that this issue could happen again with the new engine.

Needless to say, the car that I paid over $10k for is pretty much being thrown in the dump.

All of this happened in the first three months of owning the vehicle.

Trust me, do not buy one. Ever.

Oh, and the thermostat never worked properly. I didn't know my engine was over heating until there was smoke coming out from under the bonnet.

This car was on the back of a tow truck more often than it was on the road. Seriously.

General Comments:

To be fair to Land Rover, the interior is extremely comfortable. Everything is within reach and the flat dash is very handy.

The car was a relatively quiet, smooth drive from what I got to experience for the very little time that I was driving it.

But that being said, I miss my little 2004 Daihatsu Charade like you wouldn't believe. Never had a problem with that little champion.

Review Date: 11th August, 2009

2000 Land Rover Freelander 1.8 K series petrol from UK and Ireland

Inferior to similar Japanese competitors

Within a very short time a substance resembling Bailey's Irish Cream started to materialize in the coolant expansion tank. This alarmed me somewhat, but I pretended to ignore it. Within a couple of weeks though the coolant in the 'sealed' cooling system started a disappearing act. Despite a thorough inspection, there were no leaks in hoses etc. and the problem got worse until I was filling the cooling system with up to a liter a day.

About this this time there appeared signs of coolant in the oil as well. The lubrication properties of the oil were being reduced, and when a slight knocking was heard from one of the camshafts, I decided to stop driving it. It is vital for me to be mobile and I spent a large sum on a Japanese SUV which runs like a dream. In the meantime I have read all about the woes of the K series engine in the Freelander and have obtained an upgrade kit. I intend to do the work myself when the weather improves. I simply refuse to pay Land Rover's repair costs. So, Land Rover, you have lost a customer for ever. I shall buy Japanese from now on.

General Comments:

Very nice styling and comfortable. Handles well.

But badly let down by a design flaw leading to the coolant loss/head gasket problem.

Review Date: 16th December, 2008

6th Apr 2010, 02:01

Have you done the upgrade? Did it work?