2000 Land Rover Freelander 1.8 from Australia and New Zealand

The worst car ever built

Original owners head gasket blew at 50,000 kms.

My head gasket blew at 97,000 kms.

Clutch pedal sprang out at 95,000 kms for the first time.

Engine mounts broke and came loose at 95,000.

Constant vibration at 60 km per hour.

Fork in gearbox broke at 113,000 kms causing clutch arm to break. Entire new clutch plate also put in.

Rear window goes down by itself with no-one in the car.

Multiple engine leaks.

Fuel pump stopped at 110,000 kms and was replaced immediately by a brand new faulty one, which stopped working within an hour while I was in the middle of nowhere.

General Comments:

This is the biggest lemon I have ever seen. It has cost me over $7,000 in repairs alone plus expensive services. When it goes it is great to drive and looks fantastic; however it really is a terrible car. Land Rover should be ashamed that they ever put this car on the road. A car that has only done 113,000 kms should never have this many problems. What a piece of junk. Just traded it for $5,000. I feel sorry for whoever buys it next.

Review Date: 27th March, 2008

2000 Land Rover Freelander di 2.0 diesel from UK and Ireland

Expensive British engineering

Exhaust back box at 86000 miles

Viscous coupling at 87200 miles

IRU at 87230 miles

Sun roof jammed at 87400 miles

Wiper switch broken at 87450.

General Comments:

This is the most unreliable car I have ever owned. It is also the most expensive to repair.

The cost so far in under 12 months is almost £3000

I would not buy another Freelander and would advise anyone who is thinking of buying to think again.

The IRU unit alone was over £800 and over £250+VAT labour to fit it.

Viscous coupling at £476+VAT and £80+VAT to fit it.

All the above are apparently common problems.

I'm just waiting to see what will be next!

I will keep you informed of the next "common problem"

Review Date: 2nd August, 2007

23rd Mar 2008, 09:07

Well the heated rear window has now given up the ghost and the rear window won't drop the half inch so the rear door will open. But all is not lost as I am getting a new car at the weekend. It is NOT a Land Rover.

2000 Land Rover Freelander XEI 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Good car despite what some may say!!!

Only thing that has gone wrong was a leak above the tailgate - fixed by me with a bit of mastic!

General Comments:

I chose to ignore all advice to the contrary and bought my Freelander a year ago. I have to say that so far (touch wood) it has been an excellent vehicle to own.

I have had one problem, being a leak from above the tailgate. There is a piece of plastic above the tailgate which is held on by a plate behind it. The plate is held on by five bolts, one or some of which were letting in water. A bit of mastic around the bolts and washers solved the problem.

Apart from that I love this car. As it does not have the huge centre console of the Discovery and Defender there is a good amount of space; rather than the cramped right arm that the drivers of these vehicles suffer with. This is also true for passengers, being a rugby player I’ve got some rather large friends and I can easily fit four of them in with me.

There’s loads of room in the boot for my dog (a German Shepherd, Rotwieler cross) or an even larger load with the seats forward.

With the petrol engine it’s a bit of a drinker (25mpg) but its also fairly quick, all things considered. It handles well without a great amount of body roll and despite what some say, will cope with off road use (as long as its not the Rockies).

I love this car and will buy another Land Rover (hopefully a Range Rover) when it’s time to say goodbye.

Review Date: 30th November, 2006