1996 Lexus LS Reviews - Page 3 of 5

1996 Lexus LS 400 4.0 from UK and Ireland

Model year1996
Year of manufacture1996

Summary:

The LS400 is the best car in the world

Brought my dream car with 89000 on the clock, and absolutely nothing has gone wrong with the car.

In the following months, there was a very minor rattle coming from the gear stick area. After weeks of inspection, can you believe that it was actually coming from the cigarette lighter. The cigarette lighter was rattling in its holder (and I was thinking that it was coming from the transmission itself!!! thank god it wasn't). So I just forced a small piece of card into the gap between lighter and holder, and no rattling now!!!

General Comments:

The car is fantastic; that's the first thing that comes to mind.

You have to remember that Lexus is all about luxury, quietness, and technology, and not so much handling. I know that the car does receive criticism in that aspect of driving. I have driven Mercedes and BMWs, and have to say that no car is as luxurious as the LS400.

It met all the expectations I had about the car. No car is quieter, I just can't stress that enough. The acceleration is extremely smooth and rapid, but not instantaneous, except when you put it in sports mode, when it can give some sports cars a run for their money (when you consider that the car nearly weighs two tonnes).

The rears seats are extremely comfortable, and I do actually prefer to be driven than driving the car (it's that comfortable). Just being seated in the car gives you the feeling that this is a very special car. The stereo is absolutely fantastic, and is actually designed to produce near perfect concert sound. Sometimes I just get into the car to listen to music. To get the best from the system, use original CDs than burned discs from a PC.

I think that a lot of people cannot comprehend that Lexus had what it took to develop a world class luxury car in their first attempt and succeeded at that. I understand that some people make opinions of the car without even driving it. I'm sure that if those anti-Lexus people gave it a chance to find out the actual purpose of the car (i.e providing a quiet ride, comfort etc) I'm sure they won't be disappointed (that's if they approach it with an open mind).

Review Date: 22nd August, 2007

1996 Lexus LS 400 V8 4.0L from North America

Model year1996
Year of manufacture1995
Engine and transmission V8 4.0L Automatic
Previous carLexus LS400

Nothing really went wrong on this car. I did regular maintenance on it. That is all.

My previous car was a 1991 LS400, which is currently being driven by a relative. Vehicle has over 243000 miles on it and it simply "asks for more" NO PROBLEMS with it at all - NONE. It rides today same as it did in 2001 when I first got it.

General Comments:

First Lexus LS400 has been released in 1990 after only 4 years of development; Mercedes has been in business some 81 years or so, and BMW even longer.

First model of Lexus ever released was an LS400. This car is very much over engineered. Early LS400's have gone to as far as 600000 miles and they are still on the roads today. This is probably the best built car ever.

Some say it is a boring car comparing to let's say Mercedes-Benz. I think you have to get behind the wheels of both of those cars to understand what I mean. I disagree that Lexus is boring. Even though I've had many high end cars, including Mercedes and BMW's, I will stick to a Lexus.

It is not a car that you will show off as much as in a Mercedes, but you will not let any car mechanic make money off you; this is the most reliable car ever built.

Some say: well, my power steering went out or alternator or A/C compressor... yes they did, but never on a car with less than 150000+ miles.

Having a good friend at a Lexus dealer who is a tech there, I was told that those cars are simply "bullet proof" (eg. its drivetrain is virtually unbreakable).

Well, enough of my opinions here; buy one and judge it for yourself. I'm 100% positive that you will not be disappointed with it, even if it has over 150000 on the odometer. I really mean it. This is truly an amazing vehicle.

Review Date: 7th August, 2007