1996 Lexus LS Reviews - Page 4 of 5

1996 Lexus LS 400 4.0 V8 from North America

Model year1996
Engine and transmission 4.0 V8 Automatic
Previous carLexus LS400

Summary:

Much better than Mercedes and BMW!

The CD Changer - when I bought the car, the CD changer was not in running condition. It was showing an error. I got it checked by a local electrician, he said it needs to be replaced. I got it checked by the Lexus dealer, they said the same thing. I bought a used, but in good working condition cd changer from ebay. After replacing the cd changer, it was still showing an error.

Same thing happened to my friend, who owns a 1995 LS400. Lexus has some kind of weird thing with CD changers. If you don't get them replaced by the dealer, it will never work again.

All LS400s have weak alternators. This is my 4th LS400 and I have replaced the alternator for all of them.

General Comments:

Beside the above problems, the car is just simply amazing. It's beautiful, roomy, elegant, and very affordable. The resale is good too. It's the best value for money. It gives you the elegant class for a very reasonable amount of money. A very durable and easy to maintain car.

I recently drove the 2001 Mercedes S500. Except for its suspension, there was nothing better than my LS400. This week I am planning to trade in my 1996 LS400 for a 1998 LS400.

Thanks LEXUS, for making my decision so easy in buying a new car.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2006

6th Oct 2008, 22:10

I have a 91 Lexus LS400. Constant power steering pump and alternator problems abound. This is not good as it can leave you stranded without much warning. Watch for dimming lights, slow window wipers, flickering dash or dash lit up like a Christmas tree. If these signs exist look for a populated exit and pray an auto parts store is near. I bring a metric tool set with me at all times and a small floor jack kept in the roomy trunk. Nice driving car, but not real reliable.

1996 Lexus LS 400 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent distance112000 miles
Previous carMercedes-Benz S-Class

Summary:

Low maintance

I had to replace front end ball joints cost around 500 dollars. Minor oil leak near dipstick cost 100 dollars.

General Comments:

This is my first Lexus after many years of driving 3-series Beemers. I am finished with the Germans. My next car will be a late model Lexus.

Review Date: 18th August, 2003

1996 Lexus LS 400 4.0L V8 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 4.0L V8 Automatic
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Amazing

Nothing at all.

General Comments:

I love my LS400. It's an extremely comfortable car, with a very well thought out design, both inside and out.

The interior is very spacious, and all the controls are placed in perfect positions. For example, the stereo's volume control is a very large knob that is placed in the prime position so that the driver does not even have to look down to find it. The seats are very comfortable, covered in buttery smooth leather. The rear seat has generous space, and miles of leg-room.

The Nakamichi car in the car is simply amazing. It reproduces any type of music faithfully and accurately, ranging from classical to rap. The stock 8" subwoofer plays a major role in the greatness of the system. The CD changer is located in a prime place, in a box above the spacious glove compartment.

On the outside, the car is very handsome and elegant. The stock 16" wheels are shod with V-rated tires (rated for up to 149 mph), and are quite sticky, and help the big car to handle surprisingly well. The car exhibits lots of body roll, but grip is very good for a large luxo-sedan. The trunk is huge, easily swallowing 2 very large suitcases.

The engine is a work of art in itself. The engine compartment is very clean, with black plastic covers helping to keep it looking very good. The 4.0 liter V8 engine produces a healthy 260 hp, and 270 lb-ft. of torque. This gets the big car from 0-60 mph in a good 7.1 seconds. The car can hang with other, more performance oriented cars such as a (naturally aspirated) Nissan 300Z, or a BMW 328i sedan.

Review Date: 8th September, 2002

26th Apr 2003, 07:15

Come come now. I also own a Lexus LS 400 (95) and overall am extremely happy with it. In fact I bought it used because of its comfort, smoothness and reliability and yes, because of buying used, its value. Personally I like the exterior styling and suspension more in Audi's and BMWs, but feel they are overengineered and just have too many repair problems, therefore the Lexus.

But huge trunk space? Absolutely not. My former car, a first generation Acura Legend Coupe had much more trunk space, however, leg room for rear passengers was almost nonexistent whereas legroom in the Lexus is superb. A true touring car for 4 people. That being said, unless you are a boy racer, I would definitely recommend the LS400 to anyone, An awesome car. Only other thing I would like to see improved would be for it to have an extra inch or so of head room.