1989 Lincoln Town Car Reviews - Page 4 of 8

Year of manufacture1989
First year of ownership1993
Engine and transmission 5.0 Litre Automatic
Previous carLincoln Mark VII

Summary:

Most reliable, best car for the money

Normal replacement of brakes, shocks, tires, battery.

Transmission rebuilt/replaced twice due to TVR cable plastic connector breaking (now has a brass fitting).

One recall. Ignition switch replacement.

Air shocks wear out at 50,000 miles.

Car sat, not used for two years, at which time the fuel level indicator quit.

All Lincolns have A/C selector switch failures.

Glove box doors on all will warp under heat and sun.

Radio sound goes out when car is warm.

High beam switch works occasionally.

General Comments:

This is the fifth Lincoln I've owned and the best yet. I used to trade every 4 years, but when Lincoln went to air suspension, I stayed with "old Reliable". Had a MK7 with air suspension and it was a real pain to fix.

Gas mileage has always been great for this V-8. Twenty in the city and 25 hi-way at 70 with a/c on. Wife has gotten as good as 27 at 60mph on a trip from Texas. Still good, remember, this car now has 215,000 on it. No oil leaks.

Ride is like sitting home on your living room couch. Interior is crushed velour, burgundy, holds up well under mostly Texas sun its entire life. Glove box door will warp early on these cars.

Never had to get into the engine or drive line, except for the transmission repairs. Air conditioning still running on original R-12.

I wish every car I've owned were as good as this one. My sister always had Cadillacs that fell apart. I test drove one, and went back to Lincoln.

Read a story, back in early 90's of a livery service in NYC having 98 T.C.s and only 2 Cadillacs. Owner used the Lincolns as they stood up to 24hr a day running, NYC streets, and picky customers. He did change all the shocks out to KYB's as they don't break. Wouldn't consider getting rid of one until it was well over 250K in mileage. I agree with him 100%.

Review Date: 22nd May, 2008

9th Nov 2009, 14:21

I also have a 1989 Lincoln Town Car. I have posted a review for it on here, but what I don't understand is I have also had to rebuild my transmission, but when I look at the Crown Victorias/Grand Marquis on here of that year or close to that year, no one seems to have that same trouble. I also have a 1988 Ford F150 - the transmission is fine, I don't get it.

31st Oct 2012, 20:33

Buy a Ford AOD transmission rebuild kit; they're only like $200 at the most. When you get the tranny serviced, give them the kit and have them do it. You'll wind up only paying for the labor. Repair shops make a killing by marketing themselves as the only people in the world with the stuff to rebuild these things.

But honestly the truth is, early Ford AOD transmissions are bad. Probably the worst transmission ever made by Ford. The concept was good, but the execution was sloppy. Ford should have just bought and designed their own version of a better GM tranny. By the way, these downsized Lincolns, while great, utilize a lot less heavy duty parts than the Lincolns of the past. The Ford C6 tranny, was used in trucks in the '70s and was almost bulletproof. In '92, a newer, electronically controlled AOD was introduced and it corrected several problems. In '95, another, better AOD tranny was introduced, and by then most issues were solved. Nowadays, these AODs are among the toughest automatics around.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 302CI from North America

Model year1989
Year of manufacture1989
First year of ownership1989
Engine and transmission 302CI Automatic
Previous carFord Thunderbird

Summary:

Lincoln did good

Replaced transmission twice @ 115000 & 310000.

Power steering pump @ 500,000

Alternator (three) last @ 516000.

2nd black paint job on 10/1/2007.

Passenger side window motor about 5 years ago.

General Comments:

I've asked my mechanic should we rebuild it. His question, how does it run, my answer is fine. Burns about a quart of oil between oil changes, still gets 17.5 MPG in town 22MPG hwy. His answer "when it breaks we fix it!! I drive this car daily and everything still works.

Review Date: 1st October, 2007

3rd Oct 2007, 02:24

Wow, the most miles I have seen on a Town Car is 551,000 and that was on a 2003ish model. Do you have pictures of this car?

18th Jul 2009, 01:30

Good for you!!! They don't make car as beautiful as this anymore. I plan to keep mine running as well. Good luck and happy motoring!