1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature 4.6L V8 from North America

Summary:

Good runner, poor quality on body parts

The clear coat was peeling off the car.

The front power windows & motors went out yearly.

The headliner started to fall.

Replaced the rear airbag springs & compressor.

The plastic intake manifold split open at 98000 miles (thank God for warranties).

General Comments:

The car was a great runner & performer.

The low quality of the paint & window components were annoying. $400 for a window regulator & motor in each front door every year got to be very annoying.

The annoying details are what led me to get rid of the car.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2010

1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature 4.6 from North America

Summary:

The last true American rear drive

Transmission chatter. Drained torque converter and solved problem.

Emergency brake locked up.

Right front window regulator.

Rebuilt front suspension.

General Comments:

This is a well built full frame rear drive car that has been pretty good to me for the past 3 years. Has 137000 miles, and runs strong.

The problems listed above have been a minor issues to me because I do my own work.

You can't beat the ride, I've had 2 Cadillacs, and this car has a much better reliability history, and ride quality. However it could use wider tires, bigger brakes, and rack and pinion steering. Be careful driving in the rain!

Review Date: 24th October, 2009

1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive 4.6 from North America

Summary:

Outstanding

Cruise stopped working.

Replaced drivers door hinges.

Transmission slips a little.

General Comments:

This is my third Town Car. I also owned a Mark VIII. Nothing beats a Town Car, it handles wonderfully. I love the ride, especially on the highway, it just floats. Driven to Ri. twice and Ohio twice from Atlanta.

I found this car on some property I bought. I had the local PD run the Vin, it was abandoned and after $100 lien and release, it was mine.

Replaced the battery, and it hasn't stopped running since, no mechanical problems. Well the trans shudders, and when I fill it up with 93 octane, it performs exceptionally well.

Review Date: 26th April, 2009

27th Apr 2009, 23:02

Make sure you replace the transmission fluid with Mercon V fluid.

www.crownvic.net

1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series 4.6 from North America

Summary:

I love it

The intake manifold went out shortly after I bought the car @ 83K miles.

A miss developed shortly after changing the intake manifold. Observed arching under the hood after dark. Changed plug wires to correct. Also changed plugs, filters and PCV's as standard tune-up procedures.

General Comments:

This is a beautiful car. Very solid and quiet. It handles the road very well, a little lofty, but that’s a Lincoln Town Car, it’s not a sports car. Took a bit to get used to (I also have a Toyota Supra) so you can imagine.

The leather interior is very soft and everything leather should be. I drive this car daily to and from work about 20 miles each way. I’m getting 21mpg overall average. I have gotten 26 on the highway, but normally run about 24/25 on the road.

I put a trailer hitch in the car and pull my 1500lb boat with it. Loaded the boat with another 800lbs of gas and gear, four adults in the car with another 200lbs of gear in the trunk and got 18mpg on a 2000 mile trip to Canada.

The auto leveling air suspension is wonderful. This is a luxury utility machine that will take my family on many a camping trips, etc. My big truck @ 11mpg will stay home, only to be used for the heaviest of chores.

The engine impresses me all the time. This big thing moves when you need it to. The transmission shifts smoothly and confidently, a true flag ship. Breaking isn’t great, but it is a 4000lb car.

If you buy one that has been cared for, you won’t be disappointed. I changed the intake manifold my self at a cost of about $200. Costs upwards of $1000 to have the dealer do it. You can buy the reinforced manifold for about $165. It has a cast aluminum coolant cross over pipe which is what goes out on the plastic manifold.

Review Date: 29th August, 2008