1997 Lincoln Town Car from North America

Summary:

Best American car, period!

When I got it, the seller noted two defects, the keyless entry buttons didn't work (the remote did work) and the passenger side mirror could not be controlled electronically up and down.

Since then, the sunroof stopped working, the intermittent wipers stopped working and the shift lock became flaky (sometimes it won't go out of park when running). I am living with the above defects.

One air suspension bag began to leak, and that I couldn't live with. I bought the air spring (bag) with a 3 year warranty for $89 and it is easy to install. A street mechanic charged me $50.

This is an old man's car. Don't buy it for handling and performance.

General Comments:

The best car I have ever owned. The ride and comfort are unmatched in any other American car, or even by luxury foreign cars costing under $65,000. You can drive 700 miles in one day, get out of the car totally refreshed. With most other cars, you need a few hours to recover.

The gas mileage on the road is quite good, 25-26mpg, but in the city, it is an atrocious 13mpg.

The Lincoln Town Car has a relatively low resale value. As a used car, it is one of the greatest bargain's in the world. A reasonably good one from 1993-1997 can be picked up for $1500-$3000.

Review Date: 15th November, 2007

1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive 4.6 from North America

Summary:

The best American car and close to the top of all cars

Nothing.

General Comments:

The most comfortable car I have ever driven. Two days after buying the car, I drove with three passengers and a full trunk from Baltimore to Chicago, 700 miles. It took 11.5 hours and was a pleasure. No one was worn out after the trip. The car averaged 25 miles per gallon on 87 gas, I was cruising between 74-79 miles per hour (I drive no more than 9 miles over the limit, OH is full of state troopers on the turnpike). The greatest thing about the car is the price. Used Town Cars are a bargain.

Review Date: 25th August, 2006

1997 Lincoln Town Car 4.6 from North America

Summary:

Overall, an excellent choice for a used car

Radiator at 140,000.

Alternator at 135,000.

Rear air struts/bags. Regulator at 172,000.

Water leaking from intake manifold at 173,000.

Note: There has been a settled class action lawsuit concerning leaking manifolds. See this link: http://public.fotki.com/trsi/ford_intake_recall/manifold1.html

General Comments:

The car has been better than average in all areas. I would buy another more than likely.

Review Date: 21st January, 2006

1997 Lincoln Town Car collector signature series from North America

Summary:

This car is perfection

Manifold 86,400.

Signal module 86,700.

Check Air suspension light keeps coming on 100,300. Tested for leaks none found.

General Comments:

This car rides and handles like a million bucks. Pristine in and out. There is no wear anywhere on the inside and the rag top is still in perfect condition. I also have a 95 which is in the same condition. The 97 for some reason gets miserable gas mileage. I have compared to other Lincoln Town cars and my 97 mileage is really bad. By far the most luxurious car built in 1997. Far surpasses any Cadillac or Mercedes for looks and comfort.

Review Date: 20th January, 2006

1997 Lincoln Town Car from North America

Summary:

Even so I Love my very gorgeous Lincoln

On the highway my car overheated and I took it to a Lincoln dealerdhip in Oklahoma City, for diagnostic and repair. The repair/replacement of a cracked exhaust manifold (cost:$1279.00).

When I received my car it seemly idled rough. I was going to pull back into the dealership and it began to run smoothly when I was on the street so I continued on the way back to Colorado. A friend was driving and never noticed anything amiss.

Upon arriving home I noticed my car running rough again (although much more pronounced). And again it was at a low speed, as we had stopped the car to back it into the driveway. I took it into the local Lincoln dealer for diagnostic and repair. Shock set in as I was told my engine needed replacing. I have been told that due to the crack in the manifold, the coolant probably leaked into my engine area and overheated resulting in the bent rods and crack in the head.

General Comments:

Faced with a $6300.00 repair bill to replace the destroyed engine.

I do not know if I should pay this additional sum or just give the beautifully cared for and in great condition in all other areas car, away to charity.

It only has 62000 miles on the odometer.

Review Date: 11th November, 2004

9th Feb 2006, 21:03

It's not your fault. It's the fault of the manifold which was recalled by Ford because they were made of plastic. I had the very same problem with my 1996 town car. DO NOT LET FORD FOOL YOU. This is something that ford has to make right. Keep your car, but make them flip the bill.

Chris