1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 4.6 liter V8 engine from North America

Summary:

Love it, Ford is the best

Nothing really has gone wrong with the car so far, as I just got it, but I do know that the previous owner said the air ride system went, and they replaced them with OEM Firestone air bags and a new compressor. I don't know if these are really OEM or not, but they still work great none the less.

General Comments:

I love the car. Would buy another one in a heart beat.

I am 17 years old, and this is my second Town Car. The other one is an '89 with 89000 miles on it, and I bought this '97 so I didn't have to put miles on the '89.

However, I never drove it in the snow, but people tell me they go great in the snow, but I don't know about the 97's because I know they are much lighter; if you know about this, please advise me.

But other than that, I love it, love the old one, and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2009

13th Oct 2012, 23:57

I have owned 3 Lincolns, 2 of them 97's. They are absolutely horrible in the snow because of the uneven weight distribution. A heavy V8 in the front and light weight sheet metal in the rear. Pick up a set of snow tires just for the rear, and put about 250 pounds of sand in the trunk, and you'll be fine. The softer composition of the tires with the additional weight are an affordable quick fix to the issue of ice and snow.

21st Jan 2013, 03:19

I agree! Slow down and be an alert smart driver! Money can't buy that!

1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series V8 4.6 from North America

Summary:

I would buy 2 more LTC for backup if I could

So far nothing has gone wrong with my Lincoln Town Car. When I bought it, everything worked perfectly. Power everything. Air bag suspension was replaced with coil springs when I bought it.

General Comments:

I have wanted a Lincoln Town Car ever since I was a child riding in my uncle's Lincoln. So I decided to sell my 2002 Ranger and take the plunge. I bought my Pearl White Jack Nicklaus Signature Series Town Car for $1800. Came to find out the engine was replaced with a new engine and it is in great condition.

I love this car, so far it's been really great and the best ride I have ever had. All of my friends LOVE riding in my car and can't believe I paid $1800 for a beautiful car, pure luxury and reliability as solid as a Honda. Unfortunately for them, they're making $250 month payments for their brand new car. This is a steal!

Review Date: 15th February, 2009

17th Feb 2009, 16:49

$250 a month for a brand new car doesn't sound bad to me at all. I pay $350 per month for my Buick and it was used.

19th Feb 2009, 19:10

Well I just mean having a car payment in general kind of sucks.

22nd Feb 2009, 17:02

I agree, but unless you are wealthy there's not much option if you want to drive a decent newer car.

1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive 4.6 from North America

Summary:

A very comfortable and quiet car that gets good gas mileage

I recently purchased a one owner Lincoln Town Car that had 54003 miles on the odometer. I verified the mileage to be correct by checking with the selling and servicing dealer as well as checking it on Auto Check. So I know the mileage is correct.

The other day I was driving the car on the highway about 65 miles an hour and the engine starting missing. I took it to the mechanic and he found there was no compression on the number 3 cylinder. I watched the check being performed and am satisfied the repair is needed. I don't know the exact amount of the repair but the mechanic estimated the repair to run about $1900.00; a valve spring broke, the valve dropped and was hit by the piston causing the valve to be damaged.

I am completely happy with this car even-tho I have only owned it for a short period of time. I don't blame the former owner; at this time I blame the manufacturer because I have now talked to another mechanic that has seen this problem happen several times on the 4.6 engine.

I previously owned a 95 Lincoln Town Car with the same engine that went 215,000 miles without major problems and I expected the same out of this 97. I love the good mileage I have gotten on the highway, about 25.3 and it is very quiet and the seats are very comfortable. It is an old fashioned design, but I didn't mind that so much.

Since this failure was so sudden and unexpected and not due to abuse, I now wonder what the chances of it happening again as soon as it is repaired. Right now I've lost confidence with this engine and I am going to sell the car. I know other owners have had problems with the manifolds cracking, but I thought that was the only major problem with these engines.

Sorry Ford, I am going to pass on any of your products on this engine in the future.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2008

5th Aug 2008, 01:34

I am on my third Grand Marquis and I have never heard of a valve being damaged on a 4.6, either your mechanic is ripping you off or you just got a bad one, I am sorry to hear about that.

7th Aug 2008, 01:02

You should get a 2nd opinion on that repair...