1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 4.6 Liter V8 from North America

Summary:

Good car, but the problem with the manifold has caused me to look at other luxury cars.

The air suspension went out requiring replacement. The air suspension was replaced with the steel coil kit. It is far superior to the air suspension even when the car was new.

The plastic intake manifold cracked requiring an expensive repair job that cost $1,400.00. I have since filed charges against Ford Motor Company with the Texas State Attorney Generals Office and joined a class action lawsuit.

General Comments:

The car rides very comfortably with the new steel coil suspension I had installed.

Very good fuel mileage for a car of this size and power.

Acceleration is good, but I would prefer about 40 more horsepower.

The leather is still is supple condition after 129,000 miles and the car still looks showroom new.

Review Date: 7th September, 2004

26th Oct 2004, 10:53

So where do I get in on this class-action lawsuit against FOMOCO about the cracking intake manifolds?

6th Jan 2005, 21:45

I am a Texas resident and I have not been able to locate any class action suits against Ford Motor Company regarding the cracking intake manifold issue. There is one suit pending in California and one in Mobile County, Alabama. If anyone has any information about how to join an existing class action suit in Texas against Ford Motor Company please provide us all with the attorney's contact information.

1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 4.6L from North America

Summary:

Luxury at its Finest!

When I first bought the car, after about 3 months the transmission started slipping. After about 4 months the transmission went out on it, I purchased a brand new one, and haven't had a problem since.

Now I have a alarm problem, every time I get in or out of the car, the alarm goes off... also if the car is just chillin there, it will go on and on! I'm taking it to the dealer ship tomorrow, I will post what it is later!

General Comments:

Excellent car though, really comfortable, looks beautiful, and i love it!

Review Date: 17th August, 2004

12th Feb 2005, 15:26

I have the same problem with my 1997 Town Car. The alarm starts honking the horn after a few hours of just sitting. Sometimes, I can turn it off with the key fob, but sometimes I have to disconnect the battery. The dealership says it is probably a bad sensor. They replaced one, but did not fix the problem. I don't think they know what they are talking about in this case. If you have a solution, it would be most welcome.

22nd Aug 2005, 19:40

My alarm on my 97 is acting up. It goes off for no reason at all. Its spooky!!

22nd Sep 2005, 22:07

My alarm was going off also, the ignition switch was changed and that fixed the problem. Best American car ever built!

8th Mar 2006, 10:08

My sister has a 1997 Lincoln Town Car and the alarm goes off all the time and we have taken it to 2 dealers and they can't seem to find the problem, any help?

19th Jul 2006, 06:45

My alarm goes off too. The speaker wire is unplugged so it's nothing more than just flashing lights. :P.

Great car!

17th Apr 2011, 15:33

The horn on my 1997 Lincoln Town Car honks periodically once or twice a week for no reason at all.

Please give me some solutions to my problem.

18th Apr 2011, 23:32

Most regular gas now has "ethanol" added, which may cause pinging issues in older engines.

1997 Lincoln Town Car 4.6 from North America

- Cruise Control did not work from the beginning, but was "just" a matter of the wheel control button.

- Wind Shield Wiper control box malfunctioned and had to be replaced

- Driver Power Window Regulator broke, was replaced by dealer and broke again only 13 month later...

- Brake Booster makes tin canning noise

- Air Conditioning Control Flap Actuation failed.

- Air Intake Valve got stuck had to be replaced.

General Comments:

- Comfortable Car.

- little oil/coolant consumption even after 140k miles!

- wonderful suspension

- highly reliable engine

- smooth ride.

Review Date: 30th September, 2003

9th Aug 2005, 05:37

I love the way they name parts. Air Conditioning Control Flap Actuation. Made to sound very expensive "actuation" and it is. I know, I replaced it on my 95. It's a gate actually, but I guess you already know that since you replaced it. Ford has bad gates. EVERY Ford I ever owned not only the LTC gate went bad. Ford should build a better gate to prevent all those MUSTANGS getting out.