2008 Mazda 3 I Touring 2.0 liter from North America

Summary:

Misery. Take 2 Advil before you sit in here for a few hours

Within the first 2 months of owning the car, it died on the expressway. It eventually died on me, again while driving on the expressway.

When the air conditioning was on, the RPM would flutter and almost go down to zero. The car almost stalled numerous times. I took the car in and they had to redo the computer system on the car because the air conditioner was taking away juice from the engine. I previously had a '98 Dodge Stratus (which I bought in 2002), and it never died on me, until I purchased this car.

General Comments:

The car was good on gas.

It is impossible for the average Joe to change the oil; Mazda has a plastic protector with a hole to get at the oil filter, but the filter is not by the hole and it is impossible to use a wrench to take off the filter. I had to cut a bigger hole in order to do my own oil changes.

The car is a dog on the road. Car came equipped with Autostick and I had to shift the car down to 3rd gear in order to pass someone on the expressway. A horse has more pickup than this car.

The seats are not comfortable. I sat in the back and tried to sleep and couldn't because my back hurt so bad from the seats. Even other guests in the car mentioned the same thing.

No leg room in the back. This car should only be a 2 seater.

Trunk is small.

Headrests in the back seat cause trouble seeing out the back of the car.

I would not recommend anyone buy this car. After having it 9 months, I decided to trade it in and go back to an American made car. If you want comfort and reliability buy a Dodge. That is what I ended up doing.

Review Date: 29th November, 2008

28th Jan 2009, 18:23

"If you want comfort and reliability buy a Dodge..."

You CAN'T be serious. I haven't seen a Chrysler without a major problem since 1983.

1st Mar 2009, 10:05

I am looking for a smaller car for my wife, and we are considering a used Mazda 3 for our grocery getter. Chrysler and Dodge have come a long way in the past few years thanks to the technology gleaned from Mercedes.

I bought a Chrysler 300C in 2005, (every mags car of the year) and have driven it hard for 90,000 Km without a squeak, noise, leak, or any mechanical problems whatsoever. I have done nothing but changed the oil. It performs like a 70s muscle car and has all the bells and whistles of a loaded of a Cadillac, for half the price. It still looks as good, and performs as well as the day I left the dealer. All this is from a guy who in 1983 swore he'd never buy another Chrysler again. You must not have driven a Chrysler since 1983. They're baaaaaack, LOL!

2008 Mazda 3 GS 2.0 from North America

Summary:

This car is a good buy relative to the price and options

Nothing yet has gone wrong, although I do get a funny smell through the air vents when I go through a car wash with the AC on.

General Comments:

The car has decent handling, but it does feel a little top heavy into the corners; perhaps the wheel base could have been a little wider. I expected more out of a car with 16 inch wheels on it.

I do not recommend the 4 speed auto, the gear ratios are terrible. It accelerates quite well in first, but loses all power when it shifts to second, the RPMs just drop way too low. I should have got the model up with the 5 speed auto, but was not willing to spend another 4k.

The interior and exterior are both really sharp looking, the instrument cluster has very cool blue LEDs that light it up at night.

The seats are not the most comfortable for a taller person; I found them to be short on the legs. I also still have to reach for the wheel when my seat is positioned all the way back with the telescopic wheel adjusted towards me... great head room though.

The sound system is decent. The volume jumps dramatically from 34 to 35, the base goes flat sometimes when listening to MP3s. Aux plug under the arm rest is a nice touch, but I am still wondering why it didn’t come with bluetooth.

The cruise control is terrible on hills, it fluctuates way too much.

I really like the auto head lights and auto windshield wipers.

Review Date: 5th November, 2008

26th Oct 2009, 17:03

The 4 speed auto is decent up to about 40-45mph, then really putters out because it shifts into 4th way too early. Generally when I want to pass someone on the highway/freeway, I drop it into manual and shift into 3rd. In third I was able to drive 80mph over the rockies in Idaho and still had a little oomph left.