2007 Mazda 6 GT 3.0 V6 gas from North America

Summary:

I love this car, and am content with some quirks, but I'm worried...

I will start by listing the current problems:

- A mysterious oil burning issue in the engine bay when hot: last night, I confirmed this fact while inspecting my headlights outside of the car while running. I clearly saw the faint smoke seeping out of the bay. Upon opening the hood, I got a strong whiff of the smell. I can't tell what oil it is, but it's something regular, so perhaps an oil drip somewhere.

- Engine bay is WAY too hot for my liking. I mean, I can nearly burn my hand if I touch the engine cover for over 10 seconds. When I open the hood, the heat that comes out is enough to nearly cook an egg. I read that a fan module recall is a fix, but the local dealer said that no recalls are registered. I was considering adding a separate fan for the bay... it's cramped in there. I think my cooling fan is running well though, not sure.

- The car consumes oil more than I'm used to: I top it off nearly 750ml every 1000 km. I replaced the PCV, but still thirsty.

- The car is sluggish when accelerating at low RPM, between 1000 and 3000. I mean slow like a Smart Car. Idle is smooth though, so I don't know what's causing this. Been like this from the beginning.

- Rear hatch doesn't hold upright during winter. Replaced the struts and still sags in winter.

- Clicking metal sound when taping (even very slightly) the brake pedal. I followed the sound, and it looks like there's a broken spot weld in the unit behind the steering wheel. Annoying and cannot fix... yet.

- Rear defrost tab broken and placed in a very cramped area. Too difficult to re-attempt to fix. Will try those windshield repair shops.

- I rust proof it yearly and do extra proofing afterwards, but these things rust quick.

- Drinks lots of gas. I'd say approx 10 to 12 L per 100 km.

General Comments:

Considering that the car is 10 years old, I must say that I'm a happy camper. The car drives really sharp, and looks very peppy and inviting. The black on black leather really makes this car shine.

I'm just concerned about the quirks that it has, and after reading about issues with this generation, I'm kind of worried if this car will have a serious problem down the road.

Some people say that the interior is left to be desired, but let me tell you, I have seen Benzes and Audis with interiors that shock me. The Mazda 6 is very decent.

I can't see myself selling it because there's nothing out there like it: stylish, sporty, V6, manual, peppy, and affordable (don't have the money to get a 2013 TL V6 SH).

So the bottom line: I'm glad I bought this car, and you should consider getting the exact same car as mine (I heard bad things about the automatics, and years 2003 to 2006).

Review Date: 30th August, 2017

1st Sep 2017, 09:50

Re: the oil burning - it's likely a worn gasket or O-ring - my 2001 BMW hatch periodically does that, and I can smell burnt oil at times when I brake very, very heavily, but being a longitudinal mount narrow 4-cyl engine, it's an easy fix. I've had a Galant V6 which is so cramped that the mechanic told me to just keep topping up the coolant unless it gets really serious, because to get to some of the hoses is a lot of labour.

From how you describe the engine being so tight on the Mazda, it may take time to find where the oil is leaking from. On a European car, 750-1000mL per 1000km can be normal (yes - it's ridiculous, but it's in the manuals), but not for a Japanese car. That's on the high side. Perhaps the engine wasn't run in correctly when it was new.

Re: the sluggish acceleration - have you changed the fuel filter? It appears you otherwise like the car; perhaps you may need to get a mechanic familiar with the car to go through it and first check the oil issue, then plug it into diagnostics to see if anything is causing the sluggish performance.

2007 Mazda 6 TS 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Decent car, all things considered...

General wear and tear - new brakes, some suspension parts, etc. Minor cosmetic rust on arches.

General Comments:

A nice car to drive, very spacious and comfortable. Modern and quality interior is very upmarket. Looks as good as new when I bought it at a few years old and 20,000 miles on it. Now on 85,000 and still looks much the same, aside from the rusty arches - a known weak spot on these cars. Nothing serious though - purely cosmetic and can be touched up - don't let it get too bad.

On the outside the car looks great with alloy wheels and dark blue paint. Rear visibility is a little limited, but you get used to it.

1.8 petrol engine pulls fine and does near 40 MPG as expected. Would prefer the 2.0 petrol though for the sake of more performance. Have been advised by friends with the diesel version of this car to avoid the diesel like the plague - lots of reliability issues on that engine.

On the whole though my Mazda has not caused me any major trouble and I would recommend it to anybody. Had a Mazda 626 in the 90s and that clocked up mega mileage without serious issues, so I hope this car proves to be the same.

Review Date: 29th September, 2016

30th Sep 2016, 14:21

Is the rust issue on Mazda 6s really that bad? Kind of reminds me of the problem Mercedes had with some cars in the late 90s - I think it was due to cheaper paint, so cosmetically they looked real bad after only a few years, but it was not as bad as it looked - the chassis frame and all other important parts stood up against rust as good as any car.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts failing MOTs with severe rust on the underside... which on a 2007 car is unacceptable if that does happen in my opinion. Yeah that was a while ago now, but this is still a modern car by anyone's standards, so it should hold up.

1st Oct 2016, 17:48

I had a 2005 facelift Mazda 6. Superb car in many ways and looked great too. However, rust was awful for such a young car. Japanese cars always have been bad, but all the underside was rusting away... advisory after advisory about it on the MOT. Gutted as it was looked after well. Shouldn't be surprised though as my 2003 Mazda MPV needed £800 worth of welding to get through its MOT also. Perhaps my previous Volvos had just spoiled me... 20 years old and no rust on any of them. If you look around, almost all Mazdas from 2002 - 2006 are rusting somewhere on them...