2007 Mazda 6 TS 2.0 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Very nice

Nothing.

General Comments:

This is a very good car, looks great and goes well, it is by no means a fast car, but the 140+ horsepower turbo diesel engine is faster and more economical than anything I've driven before. I'd heard modern diesels were good, and my god they have come a long way since the 80s/90s.

This is a 2007 model Mazda 6, last of the old shape before they changed to the current model. Being a TS, which isn't a base spec, but not a particularly high one either, it has decent equipment, is comfortable with electric windows/mirrors, air on, cruise control, all things you expect from a modern family car.

Compared to its rivals, the Ford Mondeo and the Vauxhall Vectra, I'd say the Mazda is just as good if not better. I've had Mondeos, Vectras, and even an old Mazda 626 from the 90s, the previous model to this car, but it would be unfair to compare it to those cars, which were good in their day, but outclassed by the newer generation of cars.

I test drove other cars while looking for this car, had a few grand to spend for once, and decided on the Mazda for its low mileage and condition, but it did also drive better than similar cars I test drove. I hadn't really had a modern car before this point, so obviously it left a good impression on me.

At time of this review it is 5 years old, but it's still as good as a new car to me; as I mentioned before, in the past all I could afford was £600 runabouts from the good old 80s/90s. What impresses the most is the engine as I mentioned at the start, with its 6 speed box, it's quick and economical, and averages 47 MPG or more, which is what you need in these tough times, when fuel is around £1.50 a litre!

In short, any Mazda 6 built from 2002 to 2007 with low mileage and service history - I'd say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Review Date: 8th May, 2012

6th Apr 2014, 09:00

I wrote the original review here for this car almost 2 years ago. I have since sold the Mazda... expensive problems with injectors, DMF (clutch) and DPF (diesel particle filter)... this car was driven correctly, serviced on time and still gave these 3 expensive problems.

Don't get me wrong, my comments still stand, the Mazda 6 (02-07) is a fantastic car, but a little research and my own experience show the diesels are to be avoided. Main dealers very expensive, but some independents don't know this car well (don't know why - this model has been around since 2002!).

I'd have a 1.8 or 2.0 petrol in a heartbeat, but a diesel - never again. The cost of repairs far outweighs any savings made by the fuel economy, thus defeating the purpose of a diesel! Very disappointed.

2007 Mazda 6 Sedan 2.3 from North America

Nothing has gone wrong with this car.

General Comments:

This car's handling is superb. I drive about 30 miles every day, and I enjoy every minute. I have owned an '89 626 and a '00 626, and I can truly say that Mazda has made the 6 a true sports car.

I do miss the oscillating A/C vents from the '00 626, which I got many positive comments from my passengers, and I wish they were on my 6.

I am noticing that when I press the accelerator, the car sometimes lags. I will perform a transmission flush and get back to you, to see if this could be the cause.

Review Date: 18th December, 2011

2007 Mazda 6 Mazdaspeed6 2.3 turbo from North America

Summary:

Nice car, lousy service

Engine smokes at idle.

Keyless entry system rarely works.

Excessive tire wear.

General Comments:

For the most part, this car is all it is advertised to be. A fast, great handling sedan. However Mazda's customer service and warranty claims process is hostile and self protecting.

Review Date: 6th October, 2010