1993 Mazda Protege Reviews - Page 5 of 5

1993 Mazda Protege DX ohc I4 103 hp 1.8L from North America

Year of manufacture1993
Engine and transmission ohc I4 103 hp 1.8L Automatic

Summary:

Great deal!!

-The entire exhaust system had to be done after, one hour. I didn't get the car from Mazda, so there wasn't any warranty. I guess the guy fixed the problem so it wouldn't show at first sign.

-After a month we had to replace the left rear bearing because the handbrake cable got stuck and it caused one spring to pop-out and literally ate the bearing's edge.

-after 3 months, I went to my uncle's garage to put on my winter tires, and he had to replace to two front disc, and pads on all wheels.

General Comments:

First off, I am 17, got the car when I was 16.

I have currently lost my licenses because yes, this car can take you up to 185 km/h, i know, the cops, told me.

I don't like the automatic transmission, I got a DX because the car was about 1.5k us (2.7k Canadian $) and it had very low mileage.

The car still performs pretty well, I like it as a first car and I can easily outrun my friends tercel, swifts (1993 and 1998 one), accent, and yes a 2001 automatic golf Cabrio. (guess because that car is heavy)

At home, my mom owns a 2002 manual protege 5 and I drove this car for some months before owning my own so, i guess this may be why my car seems slow.

I don't know if these are stock, but my car came with 13 inches, and this may be the cause to the poor handling.

There is easily enough space for 5 adult.

The car, overall is comfortable, and performs pretty well... until you drive something else.

Review Date: 18th November, 2003

14th Jul 2006, 02:39

What do you mean by,"Until you drive something else." Like what?I know there are a lot of other nicer cars, but compared as price to performance ratio, this car kicks butt.

1993 Mazda Protege DX 1.8 from North America

Year of manufacture1993
First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carChevrolet Beretta

Summary:

A well taken care of used one can be a great car

Bought with extended warranty and Mazda had to replace the engine with new one almost immediately after I bought it used due to broken a piston arm. Car trembled too much before AND AFTER the new engine. 3 Mazda dealers said that's common problem with many Proteges and can't be fixed. New mounts only helped a little. Not an engine mount problem and mounts only hide the problem while the mounts are new.

Replaced clicking CV joint (axle).

Leaking radiator was replaced with after-market one and no problems since.

Starter replaced once.

A/C compressor worked but made loud noise and I was told would break soon. It was replaced under the warranty.

General Comments:

Car is a 94 model year, made on 10/93.

Car is quick and nimble. Fair A/C.

Paint not as bad as I've heard of Mazdas.

If bought from person who took care of it, it can be a good buy.

Crashed on 12/2000. I'm looking for cheap Protege body in good condition for the engine I have. E-mail me at jorgana@yahoo.com if in Florida.

Review Date: 26th March, 2001