1984 Mazda RX7 Reviews - Page 2 of 3

Year of manufacture1984
Engine and transmission 12A Rotary Manual
Most recent distance202300 miles
Previous carFord Crown Victoria

Summary:

Absolutely Fantastic Zoom Toy!

Clutch slave cylinder was going out on the car. Car has a major oil leak. Rear tires were balding. A/C needed to be recharged. Sony AM/FM/CD works once in awhile.

General Comments:

Overall, I love this car. My first car was a 1982 RX7 GS (in 1988) and I sold it after only 7 months because I was clueless about rotaries. This car is great with the exception of the oil leak. It looks like the gaskets between the irons are leaking because the oil isn't coming from the oil pan. I replaced the clutch slave cylinder for around $25, no biggie. I bought two new rear tires for the stock wheels for around $50 each (installed). I had the A/C recharged at my shop, but it turns out there's a leak somewhere. I bought a 12a with 5spd transmission off E-bay for $38.50 and it was running fine until the fuel pump blew and it had only 90K on it [what a deal huh?!]. When I get time, I'll rebuild it, swap it for the leaky one in my car and rebuild it so I'll always have a good spare! I've got ideas on what I want to do and the great thing is, I can take my time! I only paid $700 for it! It took me 6 months to find this car and I'm not about to let it go, the paint's pretty good, no rust, interior looks great with the exception of the sun fade in the rear hatch tub area, carpet is in excellent shape! My wife hates it because it's only a 2 seater and we have 2 kids, but it's MY toy! I will never let it go, unless I have a 3rd gen in as good a shape for $1000!

Review Date: 11th October, 2005

1st Oct 2006, 18:56

You and I have very similar rides. I have a 1984 GS model with the 12A motor. It is a great little zippy car, but they do have their problems. My relay switch for the fuel pump blew, there was an oil leak under the oil cooler, the carpet in the back hatch is sun eatin, the hatch springs are shot, it over heats, and its cold natured. There are so many problems with it it spends half its life in my shop, but when its not it is the best little car. I love driving it and I would not trade it for anything (but the 91-95 model)!

1984 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 1.3 B from North America

Year of manufacture1984
First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 1.3 B Manual
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carMazda RX7

Summary:

20 years of low up keep costs, high reliability, speed,handling- best sports car for the money ever

Replaced clutch at 170,000 miles.

Drive line started shaking at 190,000 miles. Cost me $25.00 for a used one at an auto wrecker.

General Comments:

The car has gotten faster with each passing mile. The 1.3B motor is bullet-proof. The motor began to hit it's stride at 150,000 miles.

The car has never failed to start as long as the battery was good.

It's nimble and can burn the tires in the first three gears and chirp the fourth gear. In fifth gear it has power to pass even in the mountains.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2004

11th Dec 2010, 08:40

Cool.. looking for an 84. Thanks for posting the review. I feel more confident to buy one.

Sincerely, Junior.

11th Dec 2010, 16:43

I'd think again about the first-generation RX-7. Mine was one of the most unreliable, poorly made cars I ever owned. It was also full of squeaks and rattles, and was nowhere near as fast as most 4-cylinder compacts I've driven. It leaked oil, and was often very hard to start. It was a constant headache.

4th May 2011, 02:17

My experience is amazingly similar. I purchased this 1984 GSL-SE new and have done all my own maintenance. Amazingly easy to work on if you own the Mazda factory shop manual.

I now have over 200,000 miles now and only had to replace the clutch once and 1st gear for drive train. Replaced rear disk brake calipers, muffler, and a bronze bushing in the wiper assy, rubber components in the front suspension, and that's about it!

What a terrific car it has been!

Greg Young.