1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C200 Elegance 2.0 from Germany

Summary:

Very comfortable, reliable car, of old Mercedes-Benz quality

I own the car for roughly nine months only, so to date no major faults occurred.

Windshield wiper (has that giant one-arm wiper) got stuck at around 160,000 km, which was a rather uncomfortable feeling, driving on the autobahn at about 80 mph. Good luck the rain wasn't that heavy. Roadside assistance fixed the problem quickly, as the wiper suspension just needed a little oil.

ABS warning lamp goes on when starting engine under higher outside temperatures. Probably has something to do with the sensors, since the ABS works perfectly well.

General Comments:

Those old C-class Mercedes are extremely reliable, compared to the current versions.

The 2.0 with 136hp is a little sluggish with the automatic transmission, but goes up to about 130mph. Acceleration at higher speeds is rather good.

I don't know if this is true for all C-classes with automatic transmission, but my accelerator is a little stiff, especially from standstill.

The trunk is huge for a saloon. The seats are as new, considering the age (11 years) of the car.

Review Date: 12th September, 2005

20th Jan 2006, 08:13

Hi I have a 94 c200 elegance mine is stiff to.

15th Feb 2011, 20:58

The stiff pedal is linked to a switch, for example UAR pushing a switch at full throttle, or you could try WD or oil?

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C-180 1.8 4 cylinder Gasoline from Indonesia

Summary:

Affordable executive express

When the car was purchased:

1. Mirror adjuster wouldn't work (faulty switch replaced)

2. Faulty headlight switch (crunchy rotation; pulling mechanism for fog lights would not stay pulled) - replaced

3. Minor oil leakage from engine - gasket replaced

4. Worn ball joints, tie-rod - all replaced

5. Engine cable harness diagnosed as faulty - replaced

6. Worn under body joints & parts - replaced, replaced and replaced.

General Comments:

I had always been fond of German cars before I bought my first one, which is the C180 I'm commenting here.

So far my choice has been a very wise one indeed, because she's proved herself as one durable, reliable, easy-to-maintain and comfortable ride. That is, after a big overhaul was done to sort all problems simultaneously.

Regardless of its age, it still gets the proper respect at certain places. And it holds its value well in the used-car market. Styling is still fresh after all these years; I've put 18" wheels and lowered springs which improved looks and handling significantly.

Handling and braking are slightly below BMW's standards, but they are still far superior too many others.

Acceleration is poor though. Fuel consumption is between 7-10 km per liter, which is acceptable considering Jakarta's traffic. Another complaint would be the lack of rear headrest, which apparently occurs only on early Classic models.

Spare parts are readily available at aftermarket shops and are not expensive at all.

In short, I'm glad I purchased a Mercedes and will always try to do so.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2005

10th Dec 2006, 21:20

Could you specify each cost of the replacement?

27th May 2009, 00:37

Hi... I'm the original reviewer. I forgot how much they cost me (I sold the car 4 years ago) but I do remember that the engine harness cable cost the most at about $200 excl. labor. The other pieces cost somewhat less.

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Elegance 1.8 Liter from France

Summary:

A nice ride with a major fuel transfer problem

Major problem with the C180 duel fuel tanks and fuel transfer between tanks. Have taken car to dealer twice for repairs and twice to private mechanic. However, the car still runs out of gas with about 25 liters in the "secondary tank". No one appears to be able to fix this problem. I have been stranded on the hi-way 6 times in the last 3 years.

General Comments:

It is a good solid car except for the fuel transfer problem. The C180 is a little underpowered, but once it gets up to speed it is a pleasure to drive. The A/C is excellent the the paint and body still look great.

Review Date: 5th November, 2003

3rd Jun 2009, 03:22

100% Agreed, my 1994 C180 Classic, having the same problem. After replaced new fuel tank in 2005, I was happy thinking that this problem never happened again, but suddenly in September 2008 the same problem happened again. Fuel flow not running smoothly due to under carriage fuel hose burst, even the parts replaced. None of the Mercedes mechanic around my state knows how to resolve this problem, but advised me replaced a new fuel tank. All possible methods to repair, changed fuel pump, drain out tank and servicing failed to resolved this problem. I love my car, but I cannot afford to spend Malaysian Ringgit 3,000 for another new fuel tank. My friend suggest me to operate the fuel tank and do some modification, as his mechanic already resolved the problem with his classic Alfa Romeo. I am looking forward to doing so.

9th Jul 2009, 03:01

I also got the same problem with fuel tank. Mine is W202 C220. The car shut off like running out of gas, but the gas remains about 1/2 tank. Googling for this, the only clue is about the pressure in tank. http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/180686-ran-out-gas-twice-half-tank-left.html post#14.

But no info on how to fix it.

16th Feb 2010, 20:48

W202 Mercedes car, stopping with still a half tank of fuel. Fuel sender units is the problem. When the car is running, sender units are suppose to balance the fuel on both sides through siphon action. When this does not happen, one side of tank runs dry while the other side is full, and the car stops. Check for blockages at fuel return, or else change both sender units.

8th Apr 2012, 23:00

I'm having the exact problem with my C Class. Do you have a part number??