1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 Elegance 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

What a fantastic car

Nothing.

General Comments:

What a wonderful car.

Reading other peoples' reviews, I must have the best C180 in the world. If you treat this car with care and put the best petrol you can get in it, not supermarket stuff as I did once, which did give me some running problems, the 1994 is in my mind the last of the well made Mercs. The metal is thicker, the carpets are thicker, and now after 20 years it has no rust at all.

It still drives like a new car, and I have driven a few as part of my work, and always look forward to getting back to my Polar White Merc with its white interior. My man that MoTs and services this fantastic car, tells me he has cars in that are only five years old that are in a condition that this Merc puts to shame.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2014

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 Elegance 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Pleasurable and comfortable to drive

Fuel pump at 250,000 miles.

Oil leak from crankshaft oil seal at 200,000 miles.

Wiper motor at 220,000.

Radiator expansion tank blown at 180,000.

Throttle body faulty at 378,000.

Main fuel line fractured at 290,000.

General Comments:

My father's car from new, and well maintained throughout.

It is still powerful and very quiet to drive.

Apart from above faults, and brakes and tyres, this vehicle has been incredible.

Review Date: 29th June, 2013

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 Elegance 1.8 liters from Costa Rica

Summary:

Reliable, safe and good looking old car

I had to change the PMS (engine computer) and the throttle body after I bought the car, almost at the same time. I bought them used from ebay.co.uk for 180 pounds, because the dealer wanted more than $5000 for both. I changed myself both parts (very easy), and the engine has been working flawless since. I found that this is a common issue with this car, as well as the engine harness, probably changed by the former owner.

Complete tune-up, transmission and rear axle fluids changed, brakes, genuine used antenna. In general, parts are inexpensive from dealer and available.

No problems from engine, transmission or suspension. The car has been very reliable. This car has no air sensor, so one less thing to worry about.

General Comments:

The car is a little underpowered because the engine has no torque below 3000 RPM, but it can run easily at 120 kph on the motorway.

The interior (mb-tex) looks like new, and the Elegance package, along with the exterior metallic green, makes the car looks great.

This car handles like a go-kart, but the suspension and the seats are quite stiff; don't know the reason.

Before buying a C180, I would recommend looking for a C220. The engine has more power (122 hp vs. 150 HP) and torque, no engine computer (ECU) issues (they use different computer), and the gas mileage is the same for both.

Review Date: 30th December, 2009

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C200 2.0L from Uganda

Summary:

If I needed to buy a car again, I would buy this model

Leakage on from passenger side during rain storm that happened a day after I got the car from it's first Service B. (Carpeting torn at dealership during correction of leakage).

Jerk in gear changes from first to second, and second to third.

15 year old engine wiring harness and ignition harness insulation is worn.

General Comments:

The car is very reliable and comfortable.

Quite fast if you want to, I think 0-100 km/h in about 12 seconds, but a bit slow in urban traffic.

Good braking system and ABS.

Handling is very good, on turns, bends etc.

Firm on the road, solid suspension.

Ground clearance is quite good. Bottom of car not flat like newer models, so exhaust system not easily scratched when on poor roads. And the rubber sprayed base helps too.

Fuel consumption 8-10km per litre of unleaded. Now using V-Power, 3rd tank and consumption is equally good.

Consumption is best on re-fueling once the tank reaches 1/4.

Review Date: 30th June, 2009