1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 2.8 from North America

True understated luxury on a budget

Too soon to tell.

General Comments:

This little car is an interesting one. The engine fills the engine bay quite well, yet it appears easy to get to the things that may need replacing.

It seems to be able to isolate you from the outside world well enough to forget the speeds you are traveling at. Especially the higher speeds. It's not a super cushy ride, but it also doesn't have that sound of riding in a tin can as so many other similarly sized cars of the same era. When closing the doors, it just feels like a well built machine.

Cars with struts tend to transmit more noise inside the cabin. This one has some of that, but nothing too obnoxious, and it's far better than so many others.

Give it some throttle, and while it won't pin you to your seat, it will move.

There's a difference between quick and fast. This one isn't a rocket when accelerating to the higher speeds it's capable of, but I'm convinced that once you get just into the triple digit speeds, it will gladly hold its own... all day. It is after all built in a country that has the autobahn.

Fast would describe it, but not quick.

The brakes are really good. I tried standing on them from about 60MPH. It WILL give you a head-rush as it slows and stops so quickly.

The interior has held up great for a 21 year old car, and it also feels solid like the rest of the car.

The bottom line is that these are first impressions, and this far, it feels like a well engineered, understated automobile that isn't meant to be flashy or impress anyone with gimmicks.

Review Date: 19th October, 2015

25th Oct 2015, 03:31

Good review. Please keep us posted as things develop.

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 Esprit 1.8 gas from North America

Most reliable car I've ever owned

The car has required 2 oil changes and 1 windshield wiper blade.

I have to add 1 or 2 cans or r134 to the A/C system every spring. It hasn't needed any other maintenance in the 2+ years I've owned it.

This is my 9th Mercedes, and this, by far, is the most reliable one yet.

General Comments:

Besides being maintenance free, it gets great gas mileage. A bit underpowered and no frills, but still fun to drive. I think it would be their best seller if they would release this stripped down model to the US market. Manual windows and manual seats are problem free. The cloth interior held up very well for a 20+ year old car.

All three of my children drive it and they are rough on cars. I bought it as an extra car while the children are in town, but now I drive it and let my E320 sit.

Review Date: 21st March, 2015

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 Elegance 1.8 from UK and Ireland

What a fantastic car

General Comments:

What a wonderful car.

Reading other peoples' reviews, I must have the best C180 in the world. If you treat this car with care and put the best petrol you can get in it, not supermarket stuff as I did once, which did give me some running problems, the 1994 is in my mind the last of the well made Mercs. The metal is thicker, the carpets are thicker, and now after 20 years it has no rust at all.

It still drives like a new car, and I have driven a few as part of my work, and always look forward to getting back to my Polar White Merc with its white interior. My man that MoTs and services this fantastic car, tells me he has cars in that are only five years old that are in a condition that this Merc puts to shame.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2014

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 Elegance 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Pleasurable and comfortable to drive

Fuel pump at 250,000 miles.

Oil leak from crankshaft oil seal at 200,000 miles.

Wiper motor at 220,000.

Radiator expansion tank blown at 180,000.

Throttle body faulty at 378,000.

Main fuel line fractured at 290,000.

General Comments:

My father's car from new, and well maintained throughout.

It is still powerful and very quiet to drive.

Apart from above faults, and brakes and tyres, this vehicle has been incredible.

Review Date: 29th June, 2013