1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 petrol from South Africa

Summary:

Absolute joyride

Since I've owned the vehicle, it's cost me an annual service and power steering pump seals at 200 000km.

General Comments:

It is lovely car to drive, pull-off is a bit slow, but from 3rd gear on it goes very well.

Performs best between 130 and 170 km/h.

Keep in mind that it is not a compressor aspirated engine, and it has heavy body to drag around; a bit of an advantage when you come into an accident.

Can't complain otherwise; if you look after it, it will look after you.

Review Date: 29th July, 2011

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C200 136ps/hp from Germany

Summary:

Great vehicle from the 90's

The door locking mechanism seems to be going, but other than that, I cannot say anything else is going or has gone wrong since I just purchased it about a month ago.

General Comments:

This is the second older Mercedes I have owned... the former being a 1990 E320 TD Wagon/Kombi, which unfortunately I had to sell due to an overseas move, and I have since said I will buy no other car than a Mercedes.

I love the car as it handles great, looks wonderful and is overall a great driving experience. I am looking to upgrade it, yet keeps its original form and style... need a bit more horses under the hood though, so performance tuning here I come.

Review Date: 26th January, 2009

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 Elegance 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Dignified and comfortable

Diff went at 70,000 miles.

Water pump at 73,000 miles.

General Comments:

Take all clich├ęs about old Mercs (excellent build quality, "clunky" doors etc) as read, they certainly apply here.

It was the best C180 (W202) I could find but unfortunately it came with a nasty, dealer fit rear spoiler which was attached to the boot lid with 3 screws (I am not kidding here). I've removed the offending article and filled in the holes as best I can, but may have to get a new boot lid.

The interior will outlive me. The seats are comfortable and supportive (more so in the back than the front, strangely) and there is plenty of room. The dash is the dash of an old Merc, which you either like or you don't. The windscreen demister is asthmatic and I find I have to wipe the thing with a cloth in winter the way my father had to with his Hillman Hunter. Americanised foot operated parking break and dash mounted light switches are just things that you have to adapt to. The lack of a folding rear seat is irritating.

The 1.8 litre engine is enough, it's not a huge car. Fiddle about with the gears enough and you'll get as much forward momentum as you need. Any kind of meaningful overtaking needs to be done in third. This you will find to be a raucous experience that tends to unsettle the car's otherwise dignified approach to things.

Handling is in keeping with the over all theme of the car. I tend to average late twenties MPG in town and mid thirties otherwise. It will happily cruise all day at 150km/h (90mph).

If you are buying one (and I recommend you do), go for the Elegance spec for the alloys, metallic paint and classier interior. Get one with automatic transmission, and if the car also has air conditioning, the gods have smiled upon you indeed.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2009

1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 Esprit 1.8 Litre petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A quality German automobile with an affordable price

Needed a new starter motor upon purchase of the car (at 172000 Km).

Tail light bulb failed.

Driver power window began to become scratched when wound up and down.

General Comments:

Look of car made more modern with large 18 inch mag wheels.

This car is slow to start off in first gear, but very quick and responsive in higher gears.

Good manual gear ratios.

Very responsive power steering.

Solid, comfortable ride.

Very small and impractical glove box.

Distinct sense of build quality that only comes with Mercedes-Benz.

High service costs are a pain, but worth the money to keep the car running for decades.

Review Date: 14th July, 2008