1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 2.0 petrol Automatic
Distance when acquired112000 kilometres
Previous carHonda Inspire

Summary:

Quality and great design in one package

Nothing.

General Comments:

I was not thinking to buy it in January 2011, and had been wanting a Renault Laguna 2 litre wagon, but after a day driving a couple of VW Golf wagons, a Renault Scenic manual and a Laguna 2.0 Auto, I drove the Merc C200 wagon and decided to buy it on the spot. I was so impressed with the general feel and quality of the car, that it paled all the others straight away, although I didn't like the black interior that much.

I gradually got to appreciate the common-sense design of it over the next few months, and after a few bits and pieces to sort out the previous owner's hangovers, like missing the rubber inserts on the rear suspension (suspect the previous owner had lowered it), raising it back to factory spec and getting the necessary second electronic key, all was well.

Great ride, quality and economy. Best of all, the steering was spot on. Best steering I have ever had in a car, as well as the best aircon that I have had as well. The only thing was not a lot of legroom in the back and the stereo speakers are bad - but that's easy to change.

Review Date: 8th September, 2012

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 Elegance 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 1.8 petrol Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Very comfortable and reliable, a real keeper

After 3 months, I noticed gearbox oil on my drive; turned out to be a leaking electrical connector in the auto box. Easy fix, €18 part from a Merc dealer.

Next, the car started shifting roughly between 2nd 3rd and 4th gear. Turned out to be a MAF sensor; another cheap fix, €57 from local motor store.

Rear window stopped working recently, but doesn't bother me, so I never fixed it.

General Comments:

Overall the car has been very reliable, with just a few cheap fix problems.

After 115000 miles, the interior still shows no signs of wear, and could pass as a much younger car.

Still drives very well, and will cruise at 120kph for hours on end.

I do my own servicing, so I've had no contact with dealers, and will keep driving it until it gives up, or something very expensive goes wrong.

Review Date: 22nd July, 2011

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 Classic 1.8 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 1.8 petrol Manual
Previous carHolden Commodore

Summary:

Not bad for a car, but for a Mercedes?

Air conditioner compressor broke just after I bought it.

Fuel pump had to be replaced.

Many creeks and rattles from the dash.

General Comments:

The seats are very hard and unsporting. Though the ride quality is very good.

There is no leg room in the back if the driver is over 5 foot 9 inches.

Its engine is not as smooth as it should be for a luxury car, and the transmission can be VERY jerky when pushed hard. The throttle is stiff and sticky, which as a whole ruins the driving experience.

The car just doesn't feel solid like a Mercedes from the 80's. But it still feels better built than most modern cars.

The things I like about the car are:

The clear dials and buttons that are easy to locate.

The power boot release, which when pressed, fully opens the boot.

The one touch power windows, which can be operated via the key in case a window is left open upon exit. The key can also be used to lower the windows before you get into the car on a hot day (by holding down the lock and unlock buttons respectively).

In conclusion, it's not as well built as Mercedes of old, but it still has some nice modern touches. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad car by any means. It's just not perfect.

Review Date: 8th January, 2011

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class 230 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carVolvo 740

Summary:

Not a good quality car for a luxury brand

The entire electrical system went out. Radio/CD player went out the 4th year I owned it.

Rust spots on exterior.

Car/body frame fell completely to the ground 2 years ago while I was parked.

Factory brand tires have little to no tread.

General Comments:

I loved the car when I first purchased it. The previous car I owned was a Volvo. I had it over ten years and it was still going when I passed it on to my daughter in college. I then purchased the C230. I was hoping that this car would last me since I was planning to retire soon and needed a good lasting car.

I am very surprised at the poor quality for this car. I have never had a car that gave me this many problems and I surprised that Mercedes would sell something like this.

About 2-3 years ago, I was parked at the airport when the entire car fell down to the ground with a huge bang! I was in shock (as was everyone around) It took the tow truck 2 hours to try to get it hitched because the frame was completely on the ground and wouldn't budge.

My Mercedes dealership fixed it, but seemed bewildered by what happened. There was no charge for fixing it, but also no explanation. I think they were embarrassed as they should be.

Because of other problems with the electrical system going out, tire quality, etc. I have to purchase another car unfortunately. But I know one thing for sure -- it will not be a Mercedes.

Review Date: 25th January, 2009