1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class 230 from North America

Summary:

Not a good quality car for a luxury brand

The entire electrical system went out. Radio/CD player went out the 4th year I owned it.

Rust spots on exterior.

Car/body frame fell completely to the ground 2 years ago while I was parked.

Factory brand tires have little to no tread.

General Comments:

I loved the car when I first purchased it. The previous car I owned was a Volvo. I had it over ten years and it was still going when I passed it on to my daughter in college. I then purchased the C230. I was hoping that this car would last me since I was planning to retire soon and needed a good lasting car.

I am very surprised at the poor quality for this car. I have never had a car that gave me this many problems and I surprised that Mercedes would sell something like this.

About 2-3 years ago, I was parked at the airport when the entire car fell down to the ground with a huge bang! I was in shock (as was everyone around) It took the tow truck 2 hours to try to get it hitched because the frame was completely on the ground and wouldn't budge.

My Mercedes dealership fixed it, but seemed bewildered by what happened. There was no charge for fixing it, but also no explanation. I think they were embarrassed as they should be.

Because of other problems with the electrical system going out, tire quality, etc. I have to purchase another car unfortunately. But I know one thing for sure -- it will not be a Mercedes.

Review Date: 25th January, 2009

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C43 4.3 V8 from North America

Summary:

Wowie-zowie

Exhaust system failed @ 60K.

General Comments:

This was a limited AMG edition for 3 years in this body style. For its weight it is extremely powerful linked with the 500 SL 5-speed automatic. AMG enhanced everything, but there are 2 shortcomings: harsher ride due to stiffer suspension, and less-than generous rear seating. Otherwise mine has all the bells and whistles and operates flawlessly. It was obviously well cared for, and I intend to do so too. With its limited production, it could become something of a collector car (hope hope hope).

Review Date: 27th November, 2005

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220cdi Estate 2.2 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

None.

General Comments:

The MB C220 cdi is heavily based upon the 190 Series, which it replaced, and retains most of the best characteristics of that long lineage. As such, it has inherited many great attributes like comfort, roadholding, good brakes, reliability, reasonable spares prices, strong engines, excellent automatics etc. Add to these the advantages of modern electronics, a powerful and frugal common rail diesel, simple and efficient climate control, cruise control, ABS, traction control and the undoubted satisfaction of riding behind "the 3 pointed star" and you have a fine recipe for customer satisfaction.

There are only 2 downers. One is the paintwork around the doors, which is a well known manufacturer's problem and can be fixed under the bodywork warranty. The other is the often (but not always) poor and overpriced service provided by the main dealers (or stealers, as they are known to MB owners). The answer to this problem is to find a well recommended local independent MB specialist. There are plenty of them and you will find servicing your Benz can be cheaper than servicing of many other "lesser" vehicles.

Don't miss out, take advice from an experienced mechanic or owner, get a survey and make sure of the service history. Your Merc could be the most economical used car you will ever buy!

Review Date: 20th June, 2005

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Kompressor 2.3 supercharged from North America

Summary:

New: A lot of money for a car. Used: a lot of car for the money!

1. Noises from gear selector housing: lots of squeaks going over bumps

2. Groaning from rear and front of car when going over humps or getting in/out of car

3. Three light-bulbs blew in one week (but not an expensive problem)

General Comments:

Good points:

This car is:

Quick

Powerful (185 hp) yet economical (I get 29mpg)

Comfortable

Elegant (I like it better than the new C class)

Solid.

Bad points:

Far too many noises, squeaks, rattles groans. The quality of materials is not as MB was used to in its heyday.

Servicing is expensive ($800 for a major service + extras so think of $1000+ every time unless you;'re under warranty)

A little noisy when accelerating, and sometimes the supercharger takes a second or two to deliver the power.

A little noisy inside, compared to Lexus, BMW and other peers.

Review Date: 15th February, 2005

20th Jan 2007, 07:19

I bought my 1999 C230 K used with 35,000 miles. Overall, I like everything about the car except very expensive MB service. But service does come with a loaner.

Rust is starting to emerge on the door, while the 1999 Intrepid that my son drives is clean. I am now experiencing loud rattles coming from the door jam / center post area. I expected more from an MB as it aged.

But I like the car enough to have the problems fixed. Wish me luck.