1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 Classic 1.8 16v from South Africa

Summary:

Nothing to get excited about

Lots of rattles in the dash and roof mounted interior light console.

Rear passenger door kick plate fell off.

General Comments:

The car is underpowered. The bodyweight is very close to my previous car that was powered by a 1600 engine, but the C180 has a much bigger engine and is a lot slower.

The car drives like a bus. The steering is lifeless with very little feedback.

The driver's seat is very uncomfortable with little room between the steering wheel and your knees.

Nobody can sit behind me when I'm driving. The gap between the driver's seat and the back seat is about 15 cm. Despite the big body, this is not a tall persons car.

The glove box light would stay on even when it was closed. Eventually the dealer fixed it with brute force, but now the catch is visible from the driver's side. When I look at it I wonder what the fuss is about Mercedes Benz.

Despite the battle to get rid of the rattles in the dash, there are still lots of creaks and vibrations in the dash.

Review Date: 7th August, 2001

16th Sep 2009, 12:43

I had the same issue with all the cracks and rattles. The interior is cheap plastic. It feels like a Ford on the inside. I got rid of some of the cracks and rattles was superglued the damn thing. Screw it I said. The car is junk and will be getting rid of it soon. I did just that and thank God I did. I had the C230K.

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C200 Classic 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Lacking in performance, but wow that engineering!

Drive belt tensioner chatters on full lock.

General Comments:

Handling is mediocre.

Needed a part from Mercedes to boost the brake servo from a cold start.

Front tyres - wore the outer edge very rapidly. Now re-shod and re-tracked and watching.

A nicely engineered car.

Review Date: 2nd December, 2000

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C200 Esprit 2.0 from Germany

Summary:

A good solid reliable car

The horn turned itself on and wouldn't stop. Fixed under warranty.

General Comments:

Execellent car. Drove for 6 months at high speed between Frankfurt and Munich every week with no problems. Slightly uncomfortable after long distances (about 400km without a stop).

Review Date: 22nd September, 2000