2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Kompressor SS 1.8L 4 cylinder Supercharged from North America

Summary:

Quick, good looking, great gas mileage

Nothing wrong with the car mechanically.

Few cosmetic things, for example:

- Release truck button on driver's side rattled with the music. Dealer replaced for free.

- Radio stopped working for a little while. Dealer updated the software for free.

But the BIGGEST annoyance is, since I have the Harmon Kardon premium sound system, and it has a 8" sub woofer. It rattles the rear hatch like crazy. Even with the bass turned down. It's just a poor design. The dealer said they did all they could do under warranty to fix it (i.e: adding some foam); it helped a little, but it still rattles. The thing is that they KNOW it's a problem, but according to them, they have not come up with a solution.

General Comments:

Other than problems stated above, it's a great little car. Get AWESOME gas mileage. I average about 20-25mpg in city, and 30-38mpg on the highway. It is FASTER than the 2006 and 2007's because of the higher torque in the 4 banger, and because the 5 speed auto on this car is less sluggish than the 7 speed that Benz is using on their new cars. So this car is faster and gets better gas mileage than the 2006 and 2007.

It's a great looking car, and since I have the Orion Blue, it's is very rare in a sea full of silver, black and white C-classes. I have my ipod hooked up to it, it works great. (except for the bass thing).

Although this car is only listed as 189HP and 191lb.f of torque, it delivers just fine on the freeway and city driving. This car FEELS wonderful at high speeds (above 80+) handles nice, comfortable. Although I've been told by passengers that the rear seats are not exactly comfortable on long rides.

Review Date: 6th August, 2007

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class c230 1.8 kompressor from North America

Summary:

Totally Competent

Slow leak of power steering fluid. Fixed under warranty.

Brittle plastic radio antenna broke off... My fault. Replaced under warranty.

General Comments:

Overall good car, muscular lines, but smooth also. Not much to say really, I wanted a BMW 3er, but couldn't/wouldn't justify the $5000 premium over the price of my Merc. Dead reliable so far, great dealer experience, expensive oil changes. EVERYONE thinks that I spent at least $45k on the car which is not necessarily a good thing. The one thing i'd like is a bit more power and/or better shifting from the tranny, but that's what you get for choosing the auto. I am very picky when it comes to cars and I am not disappointed.

Review Date: 20th July, 2007

29th Nov 2008, 23:32

How much is maintenance? Like oil changes and services they do?

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG 3.2 litre 6? from North America

Summary:

Fast

I have to admit that I do not own this vehicle, I merely transported it for an acqaintance of mine. That being said, I cannot comment on any faults of the car.

General Comments:

This car is a lot faster than it looks. It has more power than you would ever realistically need. I believe it had somewhere around 349 horsepower? After turning off the traction control, I left a 40 foot tire tread mark on the road, and saw nothing, but smoke in my rear view mirror, it's THAT powerful.

Handling was crisp, it went right where you wanted it to go.

Review Date: 14th May, 2006

7th Jul 2007, 11:28

This car runs on a 4.3L v8, not 3.2 V6 --- the V6 engine is a piece of ***** that is made here in America and not Stuttgart and is put into E320 and M320, which is why those cars have deplorable reliability.

10th Sep 2007, 04:04

I think you will find that this car "IS" a 3.2v6 supercharged.

Hence the '32' designation, the engine is also custom built by AMG so does not suffer the same problems as the normal v6's.

You need to do some research before spouting off utter nonsense like this.

16th Dec 2007, 03:49

Great car, but there was no C32 in 2005. That would have been the C55 with the V8.

5th Jan 2012, 12:24

I agree that the AMG C32 seems to be a wonderful car, but could you please comment about the radiator leaking into the transmission or some other reliability problems?

20th May 2012, 16:05

The 4.3 litre V8 that you are referring to was the W202 C43 AMG; the previous C Class.