2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4-matic 2.6L V6 from North America

Summary:

A solid, confidence-inspiring vehicle

Minor valve cover gasket leak & front brake pad replacement at ~110,000 km.

Driver's seat heater element on seat bottom failed and one headlight bulb burned out.

That's it.

General Comments:

I purchased the car from a family friend in March 2011, when he traded up to a 2011 GLK 350. My C240 had 74,000 km on it at the time. In 3 1/2 years, I have put 48,000 km or about 14,000/year on it. I own three cars, so this vehicle doesn't see high mileage. I keep it in a garage most of the time and rarely use it in winter. The exception is during really bad weather, when I depend on the 4-matic system, which works great! I consistently get an average of 9 l/100 km or a bit over 26 MPG (US). On long highway trips, I can count on getting around 8.3 or over 28 MPG.

In terms of comfort, it has a more "sporty" ride than my old '84 300SD, which rode like a dream. However, when I take it on highway trips, it is great. It's the only car I've ever owned that I can drive 12 hours straight and walk away from the car without limping. The climate control works great.

If I were to complain about something, I'd prefer to have a timed intermittent wiper than the rain sensing type, which either doesn't wipe often enough or chatters across the windshield too much. My other beef would be that the heater on the driver's seat bottom died this past winter. It's built into the leather seat bottom and I've read it's costly to fix. I haven't bothered digging any deeper.

I would definitely get another Mercedes. My friend is trying to sell me his GLK (the 2011 from earlier), but I can't afford it! From my perspective, a Mercedes isn't 100% better at any one thing, but is a few to several percent better at many things. I used to go to the dealer for service, but have found a former Mercedes mechanic who provides excellent service at a significantly lower rate.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2014

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4Matic V6 from North America

Summary:

Nice car, but it's for kids

The car starts when I turn the key. It's only been in the shop one time for a battery. New battery and that's it.

I don't like the car.

General Comments:

I had a 2000 CL500 that my parents sold off. It had close to 100k, and they figured I needed a new car. It was not really an issue to have. I loved that car.

I HATE THIS NEW ONE!!! It's a C Class... I went from a CL coupe to a POS C Class. The interior is nice looking, but it rattles ALL THE TIME. I HATE IT!!! The speedo creaks, the glove box rattles, the sunshade rattles, and the plastic wood trip parts creak all the time.

The most annoying thing is the passenger head rest rattles (how does that happen?) along with the blower motor fan for the AC/heat squeaks. WTF?? I had a fine car until they traded it in on this junk box. What am I, 16 years old? A C Class? Wow why not just put me on "My super Sweet 16" for Christ sake.

I use to drive an AMAZING CL500. That had REAL leather and hand stitched dash, and now I drive a cookie cutter crap box. I would never buy one of these things ever. It's been reliable and I haven't put much into it at all, but it's built like crap!!!

Review Date: 21st October, 2010

8th Nov 2012, 13:55

You don't like the car, you got it for free from you parent's wallet. Give it back to them and work for your own. Your hate for this car is what makes the car look bad, otherwise it's fine in my opinion. Be grateful someone bought it for you, and sorry there are great people driving C class, and they are not 16.

31st Jan 2013, 00:05

It seems like you're just griping about how your parents bought you two different cars.