2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Kompressor SS 1.8 DOHC Supercharged from North America

Summary:

I love this car!!

Nothing!

General Comments:

I've had this car for a little over a year now. I LOVE it. This Sports Sedan package is black, with black leather interior and gets lot's of attention. Great wheels. Superb performance! It really seems to love the open freeway, as if it wants to go back to the autobahns of Germany. Just went 127 MPH the other day on open (cop free) freeway! It rides like it's on rails. The breaking is deadly, stops on a dime if needed. Precision turning, great handling in extreme circumstances. Only drawback here in Michigan is the high performance tires become almost useless in over an inch of snow on the road. Almost dangerous to drive in snow. You have to stay at home, or be careful. But on rainy or dry roads, watch out! This car is truly fun to drive!!

Review Date: 4th May, 2006

17th Jul 2007, 16:46

Read the gentleman's review again. He rated the car 3/10 for running costs, not for reliability.

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class 230 from North America

Did not handle well in rainy/snowy conditions, even when in "control" mode. Minor rain/snow caused the car to fish tail, even at 25 mph.

General Comments:

Great spring and summer car. However, when it rains or snows, this car is not reliable. Very hard to handle, and control mode does not make the car any safer in snowy conditions. If you live in California, great, this would be a nice car, but where it pours and snows, don't even consider it.

Review Date: 24th November, 2005

25th Nov 2005, 13:23

I don't think this car's any worse than any other large rear-wheel drive car in this respect.

17th Jul 2007, 16:52

Most C Class cars come with Michelin MXV4 tires mounted. These tires are notoriously bad in the snow or the wet. I found that if you put snow tires on the rear when it snows, the car behaves much better and safer.

18th Sep 2007, 14:04

With snow tires I have no problems in the snow or ice. In the winter I take this car to the ski hill at least twice a week, sometimes in whiteout snow storms.

10th Dec 2007, 19:35

I have problem with the door grab handle. It's broke. I thought this car suppose to be more tough than other cars, but I was wrong. I am very dissapointed. I barely drove this car for 50K miles, and the handle broke.

9th Oct 2008, 17:53

Seems like broken handle is a problem on this car.. not a usual fault for Mercedes.

1st May 2009, 20:33

Stop pulling the door handles hard enough to move the car and maybe they won't break.

24th Jun 2012, 06:13

My C200 had the insider door puller (not the handle that opens the actual door) broken. It was fixed before I drove away with it from the car dealer of course. After 12 months it's still fine, and nothing is falling off. Seems like a good build to me. A door puller or handle should be a relatively simple fix anyways.

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Kompressor 2.3 Supercharged from North America

Summary:

Sweeeet!!!

Weird little things have gone wrong with this car. 1st it was a passenger door that wouldn't totally unlock with the key fob which when they put it back together the door handle came off in my wife's hands! Just like the Visa commercial: Mercedes X-mas gift $35,000 New... Premium Gas $3+ a gallon... look on wife's face when the door handle came off in her hand of her new Mercedes Benz...Priceless! Then when that was fixed, the reflector inside the Xenon headlight assembly came loose and fell in front of the bulb in the headlight housing. Then the radio has no volume on two different occasions 7 months apart. Only took it in to get fixed once. After a couple of days the radio came back on by itself. A software update patch seem to fixed the problem. Everything was fixed under warranty without questions.

General Comments:

Besides those little weird things... the car has performed flawlessly and we have been very happy with it this last year. It always brings a smile to your face to see that shiny, pretty new black Benz sitting in the garage. It also has plenty of pickup for those passing games on the streets or the highways. It brakes on a dime with the 13" cross drilled rotors and handles tightly, but comfortably at all times. No complaints! Would buy another one!

Review Date: 2nd November, 2005

24th Jun 2012, 06:15

Is the C230 build in the USA? My C200 came from the South African plant, and it's been super quality for as long as I've owned it. Just a few small glitches here and there, fixed under my extended warranty. Been a great car.