1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class 430 430 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A lemon

Automatic transmission split spraying oil over the exhaust.

A large whole was blown in one of the rocker covers.

Vehicle locked in part on two occasions and could not be driven.

Fuel sender required replacement.

ESP computer required replacement.

Steering rack required replacement.

Back of the drivers seat collapsed.

Oxygen mass sensor required replacement.

Harmonic balance fell of and the repair cost was A$5000.

General Comments:

This car is a lemon and Mercedes Benz will not stand by the vehicle.

Review Date: 24th August, 2003

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class from North America

Summary:

Pile of junk

Tires, three sets at 75000 miles.

Brakes, three sets with rotors 75000 miles.

Fuel pump, 74000 miles. MB are installing a modified fuel pump.

Oxygen sensor at 74000 miles.

Sun roof rattles.

Back and side doors rattle.

Cup holders on both sides broke.

Drivers side window switch failed.

Parts of interior trim falling off.

Muffler rattles.

General Comments:

The ML 430 is a rattletrap.

I have contacted MB USA and they don't want to know about it.

Would never again purchase a Mercedes.

There should be a class action suit brought against MB for selling such a lemon.

Review Date: 6th August, 2003

24th Oct 2003, 15:23

I agree with the comments on the ML320. There definately should be a class action lawsuit out there. If not, I am going to begin working on one.

14th Nov 2007, 11:01

Its funny to me that everyone expects these vehicles to go like the energizer bunny. I have a 99 ml320 and have had no problems with it since October 1998. The key word is 'maintenance.' Go by the guidelines and should be no problem. I'm up to 146,000 miles and had it in the shop for the driver window and 2 recalls. I don't think that's too bad at all. Go and buy a Pinto if you want a vehicle with cheap maintenance costs.

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class 430 V8 from Bulgaria

Summary:

I am going to keep it

The ESP sensor warning light constantly on, the dealer states there is no fault showing therefore cannot fix it.

Battery only lasted 3 years, I have now switched to Delco.

General Comments:

I am in general happy with this car, it has never let me down, except of course for the previous battery.

It is great on long distance touring.

Review Date: 24th June, 2003

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 3.2 from North America

Summary:

A high priced mistake

The weather stripping on one door kept falling down.

The door locks went into ghost mode frequently requiring 3 visits to the dealership to correct.

The drivers side power window failed in the lowered position. Good thing I had a garage.

I had a mysterious ear-splitting grinding noise from one of the wheels/brakes. It appeared to be something came loose and it would start when I made a left hand turn. I could make it go away with a right hand turn. So I travelled home making right turns only for 25 miles. I took it to the dealer immediately, who found no problem, but it mysteriously went away.

General Comments:

I purchased this car as a replacement for a mini-van (which my wife felt quite frumpy driving). I thought I was doing a good thing by buying her a "quality" Mercedes Benz. I've owned mostly Toyota vehicles. Very good quality, but sometimes missing in the personality aspect.

I also purchased the 3rd row seat. This was one of the reasons for purchasing the ML320. The dealer was not help in telling me that the 3rd row seat was a permanent fixture that could not be removed. I discovered after having it installed that the seats were removable.

I must comment on the dealership. Here in Phoenix, Arizona there were only two, now three. I hated the place, I spent the extra money to purchase an ML320 and felt like a leper waiting in the service line watching the Service Managers fawn over customers in 80K+ cars and leaving the "many" M-class customers waiting.

I happened to also own a Lexus RX300 at the same time. Which I can't say enough good things about, including the dealership/services.

The kicker is that when I finally got tired of the ML320 and I tried to sell it, I almost had to give it away. Comparing the Mercedes resell and Lexus, ML320 vs. RX300. Two years after purchase at similar prices, the ML320 was worth $10K less.

The only upside to the ML320, was the engine and transmission felt smooth and powerful. The ML320 also had a much better turning radius that the R300.

Review Date: 31st May, 2003