Here is some updates to my 02 ML500. Since 7th Aug 2006.
1. V-belt noise, replaced and fixed.
2. Engine clunking noise (wash the internal of the engine).
3. Massive oil leak near the driver's side area of the engine.
4. Transmission clunk/bump (replaced transmission and car battery for some unknown reason).
5. Broken HID, replaced the starter.
6. HID changed to purple again (replace both bulbs).
7. Transmission oil leaks.
8. ESP light on (stop lamp switch replaced).
9. Very noisy brakes (squeaking when driving, replaced all 4 brake pads and rotors).
10. Rear differential oil leak.
11. Water pump noise and shakes (replaced).
12. Stuck ash tray again.
13. Stuck rear cup holder again.
14. Door panel weather strip peeling off again.
15. Window shaking noise is back again.
16. Broken ignition wires (4 of them have to be replaced).
17. Overhead trip computer replaced due to no more back light.
18. Broken rain sensor again after windshield replacement.
19. Broken rear view mirror again (replaced).
20. Side rear view mirrors will not dim at night.
21. Side rear view mirrors will not retract again.
22. Maybe some more, but I can't remember now.
As you can see together I have over 50 problems with this car.
Previous problems before Aug, 2006.
I also own a 02 ML500, and the not so quality built car disappoint me. I've also had many many problems, which bug enough to make me go back to the dealers. Here are some of the problems on my ML:
1. Squeaky brake.
2. Malfunction e-brake signal light (it will not come on when e-brake is engaged.
3. Exterior window trims replaced 3 times.
4. 1 sensor for the traction control replaced.
5. Refitting the bumper both at the front and rear since the cap is getting bigger.
6. Cup holder in the rear will not retract.
7. Ash tray will not stay in or will not come out.
8. Auto door lock screaming (when you take off).
10. Both front seat frames are replaced (the bottom part of the seats, because it is going to come off soon)
11. Wiper sensor replaced.
12. Back mirror coming off (on top of the console, and it was replaced).
13. Secondary coolant container (the one on top of the engine) replaced due to leaking coolant and replaced the cap.
15. Shaky window when driving, repaired.
16. Rear window defrost, repaired due to burnt fuse.
17. Xenon light turned purple twice on the same side.
19. Oil pan leaking, replaced the rubber seal.
20. The gas door will not lock properly, when the car is locked, repaired with crazy glue by the dealer.
21. Dead engine due to broken throttle actuator (while I am in Arizona, in the middle of no where, heading back to Vegas from Grand Canyon at mid-night).
22. Timing belt replaced due to the car miss-fires.
23. Moon roof will squeak when tilt up, repaired and replaced the rail, lubricate etc.
24. Some of the screws are missing in the engine bay for no reason, replaced when serviced.
25. I think there are more, but I am tired of listing them.
All I can say is this is a hack of a car, don't ever buy it if you see one with attractive price. And good luck if you are picking one up. Recently the car is having a noisy suspension at the rear, and I am going to have the dealers checked soon. Wish me good luck.
Thanks for viewing.