2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML-500 from North America - Comments

24th Aug 2010, 13:52

My wife and I purchased an 05 ML500 in 2005 with approximately 8,000 miles on it.

After 80k miles and numerous dealer repairs I was tickled to get 10k for it. I just feel bad for the sucker who bought it.

Do not buy this car. Do not look at this car. This car will drive you nuts.

15th Mar 2012, 16:18

I brought a ML 500 2 weeks ago, and now the amp in the radio is out, the brakes squeak, and the back door get stuck. It's leaking transmission fluid. The dealer said he just replaced the power steering pump and the brakes, but I can't tell. I don't know what to do about this car. I'm stuck with it. Ugh!!!

29th Jun 2012, 18:24

I have the same brake noise problem with my 2002 ML 500, which has 50,000 miles on it. The brake always has noise, and the dealer said when the car only has 10,000 miles, that it is normal, and there is nothing they can do, other than putting new brakes on at my expense. I have already replaced the brakes three times.

Now at 50,000 miles, the ABS system malfunctioned, and luckily my mechanics were able to replace just the broken part at 900 dollars, rather than the whole system that costs US 2,500. I will not buy Mercedes again.

3rd Nov 2012, 14:34

Owned a 2002 ML500 since 2004, 109,000 miles. Vehicles shut off when coming to a stop, restart, next light same problems. Changed fuel filter (2 months ago), changed crankshaft position sensor since the problem arose, same response. Planning to change throttle cable per Mercedes diagnostic 2 months ago, however I cannot figure out how to change the cable, unable to pull the pin from the gas pedal, will it break? Do you think if I change the throttle cable, that might solve the shutoff problems? Does the throttle body need cleaning, and if so, how? NEED SOME HELP!!!

26th Dec 2012, 02:13

I've just been tempted to buy a MB ML500 for what seemed a good price. I heard the squeaking when driving it, which stopped after a minute or so. I'm so glad that I was able to read the posted reviews. Thanks to all, I won't be selling my very reliable off road upgraded KIA Sorento, to buy what appears to be a US manufactured lemon.

Add another comment