1978 Mercury Cougar XR-7 351 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Why don't they make them like this any more?

General Comments:

Have just received the car in Australia after purchasing from a seller in Nevada U.S.

Since the vehicle arrived, have received some documentation that the vehicle was originally purchased by Henry John Deutchendorf Jr., and since then discovered that this was John Denver's real name. Have now received original photos and clippings of John with my car, and had it verified by John Denver fan club members.

Review Date: 20th September, 2005

20th Sep 2005, 11:08

Gosh, thanks for that informative review.

Fyi, John Denver wasn't even on the "B" list since long before his demise.

21st Sep 2005, 15:26

How cool!!! It is always nice to have a collectible car and be able to document it's past. Who cares what anyone else thinks? To answer your question, if they still made cars like that, no one would buy new ones:) Please write more about the specifics of your car.

22nd Sep 2005, 16:56

Why don't they make them like this anymore?

You mean, overweight, poor-handling, gas-guzzling, SLOW and last, but not least, shoddy quality?

Why, indeed.

20th Oct 2005, 19:23

Well, I have a Chrysler LeBaron convertible that was once owned by Jon Voight, so there.

--George Costanza.

1978 Mercury Cougar XR7 351 Windsor from North America

Summary:

The greatest luxury sports car made

Not much, the brakes needed a sevice.

And the vacuum lines need work.

General Comments:

I first bought a Cougar reluctantly when I needed a car. Then when I first drove it I was amazed.

This is my second, the other got hit. Driving this car is a pleasure. It is like no other car on the road and when you drive it you feel like it is the only car of its class on the road. I drove it from Jersey to Maine and back, and never felt the need or want for anything while driving. A Mercedes could cost more, but not ride as well. If you know the top speed please tell me and post it please. I think it must be close to 180. Thanks.

Review Date: 31st March, 2005

1978 Mercury Cougar XR7 351 Windsor from North America

Summary:

They don't make them like these anymore

Engine main bearings gone due to oil pump failure.

Light switch.

Moon roof power assembly.

Automatic trans shifter broken off.

Quadraphonic AM/FM tape player right side amp fail.

Busted power seat middle button (back and forth up down)

General Comments:

My uncle bought this car off of his neighbor who bought it new.

It ran perfect up until 95 and then the Windsor went.

I asked about it and he gave it to me just in time.

It sat out in the middle of a field with a bull tied to it!

Its burnt orange with pale yellow interior.

I have very available interior option for that particular year.

The vinyl top (white) is still intact and in perfect condition.

Its hard to explain what it looks like from behind the wheel.

The driver and the hood ornament (intact) are 6+ feet away from each other, unbelievable.

It sits with the blown engine now and I'm deciding what to put in it. (anything)

Review Date: 1st July, 2004

1st Jul 2004, 10:50

Chrush it.

30th Oct 2006, 12:25

Put a Ford 302 in it. It's the same bolt pattern as the 351W, so you can use the existing transmission. There are lots of aftermarket toys available for the 302 thanks to Mustang enthusists.

The 351W had a stock compression of 8.3:1, so it's output was not great. A 4bbl 302, with 9:1 compression will run on regular gas and give you more power than the original.

23rd Nov 2006, 01:01

I own a 78 Cougar with a 351w. Check out after market parts. I rebuilt my 351w very reasonably, and it now has 435HP. And I love the car even more. It's truly a dream car. I hope to still be driving it ten years from now.

7th Jun 2007, 09:14

Put a Ford 302 in it, you won't regret it, although you may have to switch out the motor mounts, it is totally worth it.

20th Sep 2010, 13:27

I just bought a 78 XR7.

I'm in New Brunwick, Canada. I got it for 1200. It's in need of some TLC, but is in generally solid shape.

The landau top is mint, the car was originally blue, but was painted purple (hmm... I know), so I plan on painting it white.

It runs great, and the white vinyl interior is still in great shape. It just needs a bit of brake work and a small patch job on the wheel well on the driver side and I'll have her purring in no time.

Rob.

28th Sep 2010, 21:29

I just bought a 1978 Cougar XR7. It has 80k believed to be actual miles. It is Red/white in and out. It has a 351/400 not sure. It is very solid, interior is great.