1978 Mercury Cougar xr7 351M/400 from North America

Summary:

Cool and laid- back

Front rotors and brakes needed to be turned down and replaced.

The guts in he rear end had to be changed.

The passenger side axel was bent.

Rear bearings also had to be replaced.

Tail, signal and back up lights had to be rewired.

General Comments:

Many things were wrong with the car considering it was only bought for $400 Canadian.

I have made a few modifications to the car.

Since ownership I have had the body redone and painted. I elected not to go original, decided on 97' prowler purple.

Added mag wheels and circular chrome mirrors.

A hood scoop was a must, also added chrome to the hood off of a 61' Buick.

This summer I plan to tint the windows and add two white stripes on the hood. Also will have the chance to put the chrome duel exhaust on that I purchased last year.

Over all is an excellent car. I just hate the gas mileage you get with.

Review Date: 5th June, 2002

1978 Mercury Cougar XR7 6.6 litre -400 from North America

Summary:

A gas guzzling hog, with a lot of balls

I have found that the Mercury Cougar is a very reliable car. The only problems I have had with it are the power steering, which was only a hose needing replacement.

The only other thing I have had a problem with is the lifters. I plan on rebuilding the motor in the near future anyway, so it's not really an issue at this time.

General Comments:

This car is a very fast car, especially with a 400 in it.

However the car is a boat, and uses a lot of gas.

I only payed $1000 for the car and have all the original paperwork for it (which is a plus).

I'm thinking of new ways to better the car and would like all the input possible.

If you have any details on engine accesories please e-mail them to me @ cougar 78 XR7.

Review Date: 26th April, 2002

1978 Mercury Cougar XR-7 302 V-8 from North America

Summary:

This car is the perfect sized luxury coupe for power and safety

The engine blew up three months after I got the car despite all attempts to save it. After I put a new Ford factory 302 back in it I've changed the oil every 2500 or so miles and nothing has gone wrong with the engine in the last 120,000 miles (still runs like new).

I have had problems with the light switch, the headlights used to flicker out on me, so it's been replaced twice.

The fuel pump went out twice, and the ignition module went out twice.

The master cylinder was replaced once and the brakes pull and vibrate badly (rotors), twice replaced. No other trouble.

General Comments:

The car has been with me through all kinds of weather and terrain, always handled well. Very comfortable and safe feeling.

This car was a graduation gift for me, and most of my single life's memories involve that car, it's never let me down without warning.

I bought a parts car to help resore it to perfection, but I can't bear to tear that one down, it's got ALL the options. Now I have two, and one mad wife.

Review Date: 15th June, 2001

16th Jun 2001, 22:47

My 78 Cougar also had light switch problems. Problem solved by putting the driving lights on a separate toggle.

20th Jun 2001, 13:15

Check the hi-beam switch on the floor. The headlights are grounded through this, by the screw going through the floorboard, and if any corrosion is present between this screw and the sheet metal of the floorboard, it will cause intermittent operation of the headlamps (even in low beam). Next time it happens, hit the switch with your foot, I'll bet they'll go back on. Cleaning this ground screw and the base of the headlamp light switch should solve your problems. I doubt the headlamp switch itself was actually ever at fault.

Kevin

19th Jul 2002, 14:07

Hey, I also have a 1978 Mercury Cougar, got it for 700 bucks, it runs great, never had any problems, except for the headlights flickering, my dad fixed this by attaching a toggle switch, nothing has gone wrong since.