1978 Mercury Cougar XR7 351 V8 from North America

It's a classic

I've had quite a bit of trouble with the power steering, which sounds common when reading comments from other Cougar owners. I just replaced the hose and it works fine now.

Also, I have had problems with the lights dimming on me when I apply the brakes or roll down the window. I can't find the problem because I've replaced the voltage regulator and the alternator and the battery is good.

General Comments:

I'm 17 and I got my car for my 16th birthday. I love it. I would not trade it for another car. I put a new paint job on it, some Mag wheels, and I tinted the windows. It looks beautiful. I receive comments on it all the time.

Review Date: 5th April, 2001

1st May 2001, 02:13

Put a relay in for your brake lights and the headlights.. Place the relays nearest to the bulbs and trigger the relays by the wire that would normally power the actual bulbs. And run a heavy gauge wire with an in line fuse direct from the battery to your relays.

You will notice a HELL of a difference with the intensity of your headlights AND break lights. Do this with fog lights too - this applies to All cars.

Relays = good.

31st Mar 2005, 18:14

Check the grounds on light connections and check the high/ low head light switch on the floor.

15th Jul 2005, 13:57

The problem is neither with the lack of a relay or the ground. The reason you're having trouble with your lights is strictly the fact that you've not got enough power. To correct this problem the best solution is a heavy duty alternator and a larger battery, most likely to be a 850-650 battery. That is a 850ca-650cca. I had the same problems on a 1978 Cougar XR7 the vehicle is still numbers matching 100% even the the alternator has been rebuilt. Even has the stock carburetor on it.

1978 Mercury Cougar XR-7 302 V8 5.0 litre from North America

Lead sled luxury

Just little things like hoses, etc.

I had a problem with the brakes, but that, like most of its problems, was the fault of the previous owner.

General Comments:

I love this car, I'm 16 and this is my first real car. I bought it with my own money and wouldn't trade it for any other car in the world.

Review Date: 6th February, 2001

4th Apr 2001, 12:18

It is nice that I am not the only teenager that loves these cars. I have two 79 Cougars and they are my favorites other than the 77-79 Thunderbirds. I think I would trade my Cougars for a Thunderbird of that year.

1st May 2001, 02:17

You guys sound like me! I have a '79 Thunderbird, it was my first real car. I Love the thing, and I am almost done with rebuilding it. If you have ANY questions about '79 or '78 T-birds I know nearly everything about them and what can be done with them.

Email me- Jdejong@pressenter.com.

29th Jan 2002, 05:46

I traded for a 78 XR7 with only 92K on the odometer. Features a 351w engine C4 transmission, tilt,cruise, power locks, windows, seats, etc...I've always liked the style of these 77/79 Ford/Mercury cars. I am just getting started customizing it, so we will talk more later. (RDW)

1978 Mercury Cougar XR-7 302 5.0 V8 from North America

Timing chain slipped at 140k miles, bent 3 valves & cracked a piston. Was burning 1 quart of oil every 1.5k miles. For this reason I had to put in another engine (runs great now).

General Comments:

Car was recalled a few years ago for power steering pump problems, did not know this until recently. Never had any problems with it anyways.

Review Date: 18th October, 1998

1st May 2001, 02:22

Ouch.. that almost happened to me..

Usually when your 5.0 is loosing power it means that your timing chain is stretching.. In my T-bird it stretched so far it was grinding a groove in the cover.