2000 Mercury Grand Marquis Reviews - Page 3 of 5

Model year2000
Year of manufacture2000
Most recent distance132000 miles
Previous carFord Crown Victoria

Summary:

Good economical tranportation

Rear axle carrier bearing.

Idle speed motor.

Heater core.

Transmission jerky in cold weather between 40 - 50 mph unless overdrive is disabled.

General Comments:

I have done a lot of towing and pulling trees down etc with this car, so some driveline problems were expected.

Otherwise the car has been very reliable, and it is easy to work on.

I get about 18 mpg city and 27 mpg doing 70 on the interstate.

It will get up to 60 in about 8 seconds, and has plenty of passing power, even towing a 1500 lb boat. It handles surprisingly well, nothing like the old boats of the 70's, though you can still tell there is a solid rear axle.

The ride is smooth, not overly soft though. The seats are very comfortable, long trips are a pleasure. It could use a little more rear legroom.

The trunk is huge, as big as a bed on Toyota pickup.

This car would make a good alternative to an SUV or minivan as a family vehicle.

Review Date: 28th November, 2005

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LX 4.6L V8 from North America

Model year2000
Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 4.6L V8 Automatic
Distance when acquired52000 miles
Previous carGeo Prizm

Summary:

Nice cruiser; we'll see about reliability

Battery was questionable under load test when car was bought - replaced it.

52500 miles - Entry keypad; one key died. Not fixed yet.

53000 miles - Car started making fog horn noise, apparently from the air filter box. Replaced IAC motor and cleaned MAF sensor at the dealer (I was pressed for time, and knew I was going to get robbed), $330.

General Comments:

I wanted a safe, reliable, durable, long-lived cruisermobile with not many miles for not too much money that could haul a lot of people and stuff plus possibly tow a small trailer or boat. The Grand Marquis is all that - I would have been happy with a plainer car or SUV - and in the internet, magazine, and people research I've done, just about everybody likes their MGM/CVs and their value. Only drawbacks are the storied exploding gas tank, the RWD in snow, and the intake manifold.

After some research on the gas tank (and putting in the fuel tank shield, $200) I don't think it's an abnormal risk (a 75mph rear end collision isn't good in my Geo, either).

For the RWD, I've got the best all-weather tires I could find (Touranza LS-Ts), traction control, ABS, and 300 pounds of sand in the trunk. We'll see.

I didn't find out about the 4.6L's intake manifold problem (it's plastic and apparently can crack, leaking coolant into the oil and potentially destroying the engine) until after I bought the car. I think that GM's 3.1L and 3.8L engines have the same problem in used cars (in 95's to early 2000's?). Something to watch for, and a reason to look under the hood weekly or so. No one I talked to mentioned it, and it's not written about much, so I don't know how often it happens. Maybe it's not a significant risk.

The car drives likes an SUV, big and creaky. Very good on the highway, and OK in the city. Mileage is about 20-22mpg for the mixed driving I do. It goes as fast as you want it to, and it accelerates fine; I've never had to floor it yet. Radio, CD, leather, all the fancy stuff is fine.

I'm a little disappointed that I've had two failures so soon after getting the car, and both seem like common failures for this model car. The IAC was supposed to be more of a 1999 problem than 2000, although apparently it's pretty common across model years. If Ford really is trying to beat the Japanese, you'd think they'd fix this kind of constant trouble spot. These cars are supposed to last a long time (e.g. "MGM taxis drive for 400K miles", etc), but only if you follow the maintenance schedule. I'll update here from time to time.

Review Date: 19th November, 2005

30th Nov 2005, 21:43

Flooring the car will destroy the intake. If it breaks, get the Ford improved part. The problem is from 96 to 2002. The new ones have an improved intake, and so will you whenever you change it. Good luck. It will easily run 300K miles. Check crownvic.net.

13th Jul 2007, 12:48

YIKES! I've not yet heard anything about cracking intakes on the 4.6L V8. Cracking intakes is exactly why I refuse to buy any GM with the 3.8L. It was otherwise a great engine until they started using a plastic intake, so any 3.8L post '92 I avoid like a plague. Stupid design. Who are these engineers? Maybe I should just play it safe and stick to Volvo.

13th Jul 2007, 12:49

Or better yet, buy a full-size, V8 GM. Like a Caprice.

20th Jul 2007, 09:02

The LT1 B-bodies were not without their problems. I'd much rather do an intake swap than try to wrestle with replacing the Optispark module.

2nd Jul 2010, 02:57

Original poster again... still have the car in 2010, at ~92000 miles.

Had to replace the battery and an ignition coil (there is one for each cylinder), and a headlight and turning light or two.

Other than that, it's been great. Drive it all long distances - Yellowstone, Glacier, etc - and it is terrific for road trips. Sits in the garage for weeks, then starts right up. I like having one newer car I can rely on, and this ten year old car still qualifies.

Oh yeah, a couple of years ago I was on the highway and some maroon in an Expedition rear-ended me while traffic was stopped for an accident - absolutely no injuries to my son and I, and I drove the car 400 miles home and to the shop. Shop guy told me I was lucky I was in this car, and I believe him.

8th Jan 2012, 05:19

We have GM with around 140k. Great car. Easy to work on such as replacing spark plugs, ignition coils and so on.

However, have run into a leaky heater coil, which I understand involves almost taking out the dash.

Other than that, it has been a great car, with surprisingly good gas mileage on the highway.

Oh, had to replace windshield wiper motor, which is a job that can be done without too much effort by the owner. A couple hour job. However, be sure you get a good quality replacement and not junk. The one I put in started not fully seating after about 6 months.