Goods looks, but lots of road noise
- Throttle body needed cleaning straight after purchase, because the car was stalling
- Once went into 'limp' mode.
- Started burning oil around 89000 miles.
- Rear wheel bearings changed at 85000 miles.
- Rust started forming on the rear wheel arches.
- Lower suspension arm was changed at 86000 miles.
- Upper suspension arm changed at the same time with the lower arm.
- One front spring was broken and was changed.
- Both tracking rods were changed almost immediately after I purchased the car.
- The car died from cam belt failure, which damaged the engine, although a change was not due yet. If you get this car, I strongly recommend changing the cam belt much earlier than the manufacturer says.
I liked the performance of the GDI engine, but it is costly to run, since you always have to use premium unleaded petrol. Otherwise the engine and throttle body can get clogged, and the car won't start. When I bought the car it had this problem. Mitsubishi cleaned the throttle body, and since then I have only used premium unleaded, since the cost of de-coking (i.e. cleaning) the engine would be in the area of £600 I was told.
The semi-auto Tiptronic gearbox is surprisingly smooth, and you get about 95% of the performance of a manual I would say. The 'manual' mode however is not really useful, since the computer still limits the speed where you can change gear.
Another strong point is the smashing looks of the car. Mine had the original Mitsubishi 17 inch alloys wheels, which are really beautiful.
The worst thing about the car is the road noise. I had the older model Galant before this, and believing this one would be better in all respects, I was disappointed... The noise is very intrusive, and from 60 miles onwards, you could barely listen to the music. Another thing that annoyed me was the accelerator pedal, which was very soft, and I had to put in conscious effort to hold my leg up during long journeys.
Comfort was good but not great. The level of equipment was very good, as expected from a Galant. The road handling was certainly improved comparing to the previous generation Galant.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 1st September, 2012