2001 Mitsubishi Galant GDI from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Goods looks, but lots of road noise

- Throttle body needed cleaning straight after purchase, because the car was stalling

- Once went into 'limp' mode.

- Started burning oil around 89000 miles.

- Rear wheel bearings changed at 85000 miles.

- Rust started forming on the rear wheel arches.

- Lower suspension arm was changed at 86000 miles.

- Upper suspension arm changed at the same time with the lower arm.

- One front spring was broken and was changed.

- Both tracking rods were changed almost immediately after I purchased the car.

- The car died from cam belt failure, which damaged the engine, although a change was not due yet. If you get this car, I strongly recommend changing the cam belt much earlier than the manufacturer says.

General Comments:

I liked the performance of the GDI engine, but it is costly to run, since you always have to use premium unleaded petrol. Otherwise the engine and throttle body can get clogged, and the car won't start. When I bought the car it had this problem. Mitsubishi cleaned the throttle body, and since then I have only used premium unleaded, since the cost of de-coking (i.e. cleaning) the engine would be in the area of £600 I was told.

The semi-auto Tiptronic gearbox is surprisingly smooth, and you get about 95% of the performance of a manual I would say. The 'manual' mode however is not really useful, since the computer still limits the speed where you can change gear.

Another strong point is the smashing looks of the car. Mine had the original Mitsubishi 17 inch alloys wheels, which are really beautiful.

The worst thing about the car is the road noise. I had the older model Galant before this, and believing this one would be better in all respects, I was disappointed... The noise is very intrusive, and from 60 miles onwards, you could barely listen to the music. Another thing that annoyed me was the accelerator pedal, which was very soft, and I had to put in conscious effort to hold my leg up during long journeys.

Comfort was good but not great. The level of equipment was very good, as expected from a Galant. The road handling was certainly improved comparing to the previous generation Galant.

Review Date: 1st September, 2012

2001 Mitsubishi Galant DE 2.4L 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Sexy car, excellent quality!

I've had my Galant for 3 years now, and other than routine maintenance (oil changes, tires, brakes) I've had only one issue with this car. Two weeks ago, at 88,000 miles, my alternator went out.

General Comments:

This car is very reliable, comfortable, and is very responsive considering it's a four cylinder.

The Galant is very spacious inside, more in the front than the rear.

The interior attributes of the car pre-date the stylish features of the exterior. But even still, the interior is adequate for everyday use and is even good enough for making long trips.

The Galant has the reliability and quality of a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, but for much less cost.

I really enjoy my car and when I pay it off (almost there) I'm going to keep it and buy a new Galant, preferably a silver 2008 Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2009

2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES 3.0 V 6 from North America

Summary:

Cheaply manufactured

When replacing battery had to take to dealership to recalibrate the electronics 3 times before it would run kinda properly. Seats worn horribly. Gas mileage declining as more miles add up. Air conditioner condensation drainage malfunction. Lack of accessbility to the spark plugs.

General Comments:

I will never own a Mitsubishi ever again. I don't trust it as far as I can throw it...

Review Date: 29th January, 2008

2001 Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 V6-24 2.5-litre V6 SOHC from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

It's no A4, but in its own right is smooth, stylish, and smart

After a year and 13,000 km, nothing!

General Comments:

Coming from 10 years of Audi's, this car is pretty good.

I miss the German steering, but this isn't bad for a Japanese family sedan.

Noisier inside than the Audi when driving over coarse chip paved country roads.

The V6 engine makes a big difference, unlike a 4-cylinder motor, this is pretty quiet and relaxed, and cruises at 100 km/h ticking over at just past 2,000 RPM whereas the 4-cyl. cars usually do so at 3,000 RPM. I don't think I could go back to a 4-cylinder car again.

Shockingly frugal -- my 4-cyl. Audi's with automatic averaged about 8.5-9.0 km/L, but the Galant with its more powerful 6-cyl engine manages 9.5 km/L on the average, sometimes even with air conditioning. Amazing!

The Tiptronic automatic is OK, but regardless of what anyone says, it does NOT feel like manual. Depends on the Tiptronic downshifts at high speed for "kick down". I reckon -- either have a good automatic (with normal kick-down), or a real manual, but Tiptronic simply isn't the right compromise. I'd have loved to have the manual gearbox for this car.

Quite roomy, but because of the shape of the front, it's a little difficult to judge where the corners are, especially with the dark blue paint.

Parts can be quite expensive. The Audi A4's spark plugs cost about NZ$40/set, this car's Iridium ones cost NZ$24/PIECE!

A pleasant surprise was that this car also has the outside temperature gauge, and heated mirrors -- two features I have always enjoyed with Audi.

The automatic climate control drives me nuts. You set a temperature, and it heats up quickly, then after a while, it starts blowing cold air at face level. Not what I want when it's 10 deg C outside! My '96 A4's climate aircon maintained the correct temperature all year round, no surprises.

It's got that smart Lexus-like gauge cluster which stays dark then lights up when the ignition is turned on.

Very smart body style (but too common in NZ now). I hate the navy blue colour though -- clean it at Wash World, you get home, it's already dirty. I'd have preferred bright red again, or diamond blue metallic, or even port red, which at least are not common here.

Initial major service (100,000 km) was horribly expensive, more than the Audi -- all fluids, cambelt and tensioner, all filters, water pump, those $24 spark plugs (admittedly good for another 100k km), and automatic transmission all-up cost me $1500. My previous Audi's cost me anywhere from $750-1,200 on the average for the same service.

The youngest second-hand car I have had, my first Japanese one in 12 years, and so far the most reliable.

Review Date: 8th April, 2007

21st Aug 2009, 04:14

Update: The car has now done 146K km/90.7 K miles. It's been pretty reliable, with only regular servicing required. Plus a set of tyres, a new battery (it had the original one), and a new set of brake pads.

Fuel consumption on a mixed city-highway run is about 12L/100 km (8.3 km/L, 19.8 US MPG, 25 UK MPG), admittedly mostly in the city and suburbs, and Auckland is quite hilly.

The climate control still drives me nuts, and the outside temperature gauge is often 2-3 degrees C off.