1985 Nissan 300ZX Reviews - Page 5 of 5

1985 Nissan 300ZX 3.0L V6 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 3.0L V6 Automatic
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

Great sports car for the money

Power steering rack (broken when I bought the car.)

General Comments:

Despite its age, very reliable and preforms well.

For lack of garage space, the car stayed outside all through the winter, but it always started up and ran all day with no problems.

The gas tank is curiously small (10 gallons) and the car does burn through it rather quickly.

Review Date: 19th May, 2002

1985 Nissan 300ZX 3.0 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1990
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Manual
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

I like to drive the vehicle, but the reliability has been very poor

The red paint faded prematurely.

The digital dash malfunctioned.

The automatic air-conditioning malfunctioned.

The T-tops leaked.

The rear hatched leaked.

The gas tank seems to over-pressurize causing gas to leak out of the fuel filler neck and down the side of the car, ruining the paint.

The radio died.

The clutch has been replaced three times (I used to have a Toyota and never had this problem).

General Comments:

Nice acceleration and handling.

Handles very poorly in the rain or snow.

Handles very well on dry pavement.

Review Date: 20th August, 2001

5th Mar 2004, 07:33

Sounds like you work for Toyota, dude, nothing nice to say about this car? I just bought one with a tiny bit of rust (1985 300zx, and I'm loving it!!!)

I think that comment was b.s. or you don't take good care of your car... I just don't find that believable.

Thanks.

1985 Nissan 300ZX Turbo 3.0 turbo from North America

First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 3.0 turbo Manual
Previous carHonda Prelude

No mechanical problems so far.

General Comments:

-BIGGEST PROBLEM... these cars seem to have a problem with underbody rust (the serious, body rot kind).

-Upholstry (leather) has a problem with splitting seams.

-Headliner fabric needed to be reattached (common w/these vehicles).

Review Date: 29th February, 2000

17th Apr 2001, 09:39

I think the Nissan 300ZX Turbo is a beautiful car, I recently bought one and I love it to death. It has power everything and leather, what else could you ask for?

The only problem I have with it is the insurance costs because I'm a first time driver.

17th May 2002, 07:55

I have a 1985 Nissan 300zx turbo 2+2 (a special edition) and I love this car so much that I bought another for parts. I want to make a body job on it, because she really need to. I have this car since year one and I didn't have any problems with it. I think this car is very powerful even if it's a old one. The engine runs really good, the only problem is the rust, even if it's never winter-driven. But I'm so proud of my car, that the rust don't discourage me. I think that this car is better than a lot of new sports cars.

27th Aug 2002, 04:36

I have an 86 and I have under body rust, but there are a few body shops who now know about replacing body panels with aluminum. Sounds strange, but its cheap and effective since aluminum rusts slower and its easier to seal up to keep out rust.

24th Sep 2002, 22:26

Have owned my Fair lady 300zx factory turbo for about 3 years now. Sex on wheels, I say - chicks love it. Only problem I find is if something breaks, usually expensive and has to be either found at a wrecking yard or imported.

22nd Jan 2003, 13:08

I have owned an '85 300ZX Turbo for three years now. After adding an exhaust system to it, it blows away any of these new euro cars. The engine is great and powerful, the electrical components still work fine, and the t-tops are a big bonus. The only thing it needs is a new paint job. This car is for anyone who want a small sports car that is a sleeper to others eyes. I love it.

10th Sep 2006, 13:38

I own a 85 300zx Turbo with 80,000 miles and no rust, it's an awesome car and when people ask me if its fast I just have to laugh, nissan knew what they were shooting for with this car, I love it.