1984 Nissan 720 Pickup Reviews

Year of manufacture1984
Most recent year of ownership2011
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carNissan 720 Pickup

Summary:

It's been better to me than I have ever been to it

Seats wore out.

Clutch.

Coils.

Transfer case.

Carb.

Tires.

Hubs.

And a few other normal things.

General Comments:

I love my old Nissan 720's. I have owned 3.

This truck will run forever unless it's abused too harshly, in which case it's not uncommon to have a few issues, but even then, it seems to always surprise me.

My first 2 Nissan 720's, I admit I extremely abused, and for some reason they always seemed to get me anywhere I wish to go (might not be the fastest pickup, but that's not what trucks are supposed to be for anyway).

I have submerged my Nissan completely in the mud by accident. I have slid off a mountain side into a river, and I have been up and down almost every old goat trail I can find... Yes, being submerged stopped the truck, but it was an easy cleanup to get it back on the road again.

I live in a deep snow area, and with chains this vehicle seems to dig its way anywhere I need to go, and some places I really shouldn't go.

Everything that has gone out or broken in my Nissan, deserves to go out after all I've done to it, and I wouldn't feel as unstoppable in anything else.

I do suggest that if you plan on lifting this truck, to upgrade to much bigger tires to stop the falling over feeling..

I also suggest changing out the auto hubs for manuals, to know for sure when the hubs are locked instead of guessing.

Review Date: 8th August, 2011

1984 Nissan 720 Pickup 2.4 liter from North America

Year of manufacture1984
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.4 liter Automatic
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Good solid truck, simple and fun to drive

Since I got the truck last June, all I have had to do was replace the fuel pump relay, bought two of them at a pull-a-part salvage yard for less than 10 dollars; one to replace the bad one, and the other as a spare.

I had to repair a short on the left tail light using a soldering kit, after a couple of attempts of fixing it.

Took the radio out, because it was no good. Never bothered as of yet to put another one in.

General Comments:

Bought my 1984 Nissan 720 for 900 dollars to replace my 1985 Ford F-150 that I sold for 1,100 dollars. I just wanted to downsize to a smaller pick-up that was better on gas.

I bought it from the original owner, and the owner gave me all the maintenance records that have been done to it since it was new. In the last three years before I bought it, the owner put in a new carburetor, new fuel pump, head gasket, battery, belts, tires, brakes, and power steering pump.

It's a king cab, has some minor hail damage and some rust spots, the interior is fair, it's a 3 speed automatic, rare for a pick up for that year, but it has the original transmission and it shifts very smooth.

Starts up every time since I fixed the fuel relay pump. I used it as a back up, so I only drive it once or twice a week. I have had several people who have wanted to buy it from me, but I like it and plan to keep it.

Review Date: 10th May, 2011

1984 Nissan 720 Pickup 2.4L Z24 from North America

Year of manufacture1983
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.4L Z24 Manual
Previous carChevrolet C10

Summary:

Great fun, and worth every penny!!

Alternator died shortly after purchase, and replaced it for $58.00 from Autozone. Works perfectly now.

Have just given new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, complete front brakes, fuel filter, oil filter and change, battery, 31x10.5x15 mudder tires, dash light bulbs and tail light bulbs. It's a 4x4 and will be used accordingly.

However, the ongoing issues are the fuel gauge. Oddly it reads the level when above 1/3rd tank, then drops to empty and stays there until I fill the tank again above half. Thinking it might need a new fuel leveler for the tank, but not quite convinced yet. Also heard it could be a grounding issue on the negative lead to the tank. It runs like the carb needs rebuilt, and I've been looking into getting the Weber Redline 32/36 for it, but not sure which Weber is the best to get for this motor. Any ideas?? The Weber is about $300. Anything less expensive?

4 wheel drive works perfectly, and it will go anywhere and do anything, but it needs shocks and the 3" body lift. Have the body lift, just not the time to put it on yet. Needs it bad since the new wheels rub horribly with the stock lift. Just took off the complete A/C and will not be putting it back on. Less lag on the motor with it gone.

Despite all the little things, it has been a great truck and tons of fun. Not looking to get rid of it, but I need help finding parts and determining issues.

Review Date: 17th April, 2010