1984 Nissan 720 Pickup 2.4 liter from North America

Summary:

Good solid truck, simple and fun to drive

Since I got the truck last June, all I have had to do was replace the fuel pump relay, bought two of them at a pull-a-part salvage yard for less than 10 dollars; one to replace the bad one, and the other as a spare.

I had to repair a short on the left tail light using a soldering kit, after a couple of attempts of fixing it.

Took the radio out, because it was no good. Never bothered as of yet to put another one in.

General Comments:

Bought my 1984 Nissan 720 for 900 dollars to replace my 1985 Ford F-150 that I sold for 1,100 dollars. I just wanted to downsize to a smaller pick-up that was better on gas.

I bought it from the original owner, and the owner gave me all the maintenance records that have been done to it since it was new. In the last three years before I bought it, the owner put in a new carburetor, new fuel pump, head gasket, battery, belts, tires, brakes, and power steering pump.

It's a king cab, has some minor hail damage and some rust spots, the interior is fair, it's a 3 speed automatic, rare for a pick up for that year, but it has the original transmission and it shifts very smooth.

Starts up every time since I fixed the fuel relay pump. I used it as a back up, so I only drive it once or twice a week. I have had several people who have wanted to buy it from me, but I like it and plan to keep it.

Review Date: 10th May, 2011

1984 Nissan 720 Pickup 2.4L Z24 from North America

Summary:

Great fun, and worth every penny!!

Alternator died shortly after purchase, and replaced it for $58.00 from Autozone. Works perfectly now.

Have just given new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, complete front brakes, fuel filter, oil filter and change, battery, 31x10.5x15 mudder tires, dash light bulbs and tail light bulbs. It's a 4x4 and will be used accordingly.

However, the ongoing issues are the fuel gauge. Oddly it reads the level when above 1/3rd tank, then drops to empty and stays there until I fill the tank again above half. Thinking it might need a new fuel leveler for the tank, but not quite convinced yet. Also heard it could be a grounding issue on the negative lead to the tank. It runs like the carb needs rebuilt, and I've been looking into getting the Weber Redline 32/36 for it, but not sure which Weber is the best to get for this motor. Any ideas?? The Weber is about $300. Anything less expensive?

4 wheel drive works perfectly, and it will go anywhere and do anything, but it needs shocks and the 3" body lift. Have the body lift, just not the time to put it on yet. Needs it bad since the new wheels rub horribly with the stock lift. Just took off the complete A/C and will not be putting it back on. Less lag on the motor with it gone.

Despite all the little things, it has been a great truck and tons of fun. Not looking to get rid of it, but I need help finding parts and determining issues.

Review Date: 17th April, 2010

1984 Nissan 720 Pickup from North America

Summary:

GREAT!!!

Other than normal maintenance, not much has gone wrong with this truck.

Alternator replaced once at 150,000.

New clutch plates at 180,000.

Truck body is showing signs of rust.

General Comments:

This truck has been a great vehicle. Gas mileage is as good as it gets.

Very fun to drive.

Review Date: 29th November, 2009

1984 Nissan 720 Pickup 2.4 Liter from North America

Summary:

Great commuter vehicle

Head gasket burned through at 98,000 miles.

Anti-dieseling solenoid, which is a fuel shut-off valve, malfunctioned at 168,000 miles.

About one in every 20 start-ups the electric choke does not want to wake up, and starts flooding the engine with fuel.

Catalytic converter imploded at 168,000 miles.

Air conditioning stopped working due too bad seals from non-use.

Severe rust-through on the side of the bed.

General Comments:

Overall, this has been a very good truck. It runs great, gets decent mileage, and has a drive train, frame, and suspension built to last a long time and take lots of abuse. It is not very comfortable on long trips, because the seat is quite firm. I replaced the automatic choke with a manual setup and it warms up fine in the cold weather of New England. It has a rare long bed, and that comes in handy for hauling just about anything. I wish I had a new one just like this one to use another 10 years, instead of a costly, high tech, half plastic new vehicle.

Review Date: 25th October, 2008