1998 Nissan Altima Reviews - Page 5 of 5

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

No more Nissans. Cheap

Just an annoying, noisy, uncomfortable, frustrating, paint-peeling, thin metal, little chumpy blue/green, dirt showing, non-shiny car; even when waxed monthly... especially after driving a 1986 Honda Accord for 14 years without one speck of trouble except for front brakes and springs! All the door seals on the Nissan are bad; letting in cold/or hot air, noise, water, and dirt all come inside jams. Gas mileage is terrible...20mpg, maybe as to the 32 mpg I got on Accord. I will NOT keep 98 Nissan. I already found and bought a 1988 Accord, and IT is in the garage... the Nissan on the street; even tho 10 years newer. and 10 times more expensive.. I hate it 10 times over. LONG LIVE HONDA.

Review Date: 27th April, 2003

14th Nov 2006, 22:19

I don’t agree with you, because I own a Nissan Altima 1998 and it serves me well. I got it at 44000 miles and driven 70000 miles on it. I have yet to have a problem with it and Nissan as you say are not all that bad. Personally I would gladly buy another Nissan. I believe that they are very reliable cars and my Nissan has yet to prove me wrong. And for the price at which it sells right now, it is a smart and logic choice. I would recommend Nissan to anybody. Now Honda on the other hand, I had some bad experience with it. I don’t know why I had problems with it, because I treated it as I treat my Nissan, but I still put a lot of money into it and then ended up selling it for a cheaper price then what I originally bought it for.

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 2.4 from North America

Previous carVolkswagen Fox

Summary:

The logical choice

I got it from a dealer who changed a front tie-rod before I took possession. In the first month the "check engine" light would go on and they replaced a part of the anti-pollution system for free.

Since then it's as peaceful and quiet as it can be.

General Comments:

I bought it because I read some reviews who mentioned it's incomparable reliability and it's supposedly 0-100 in a bit more than 8 seconds. I would say it's closer to 9 seconds, but this car is reliable like no car I had before.

Review Date: 12th March, 2003

8th Jul 2003, 14:53

Actually, the 0-60 is about 8.5 - 9.0 seconds. I don't know what the 0-100 is...I'm betting more like 15 - 20 seconds.

22nd Aug 2003, 13:14

The 0-100 is for kilometers... the 0-60mph time should be a solid 8.

1998 Nissan Altima GXE from North America

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carOldsmobile Delta 88

Summary:

Very reliable car

There has been nothing wrong with the car. It is very reliable.

General Comments:

Another highlight of this car is the passing power. The power on the highway is great. The drawbacks to me were the size (too small) when baby came along. Very difficult getting in and out of back seat with baby seat, etc. Also, road noise is loud. When 8 months pregnant, the seat is not very comfortable. I could not drive it after 8 months pregnancy, but yet could drive our full size half ton. In the end this is th most reliable car I have ever owned.

Review Date: 31st July, 2002

1998 Nissan Altima GXE from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2001
Distance when acquired19000 miles
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

A cheaper but good alternative to the Corolla

Rear window defroster doesn't work.

Cigarette lighter never did work (not a smoker but would like to use it to charge my cellphone).

Left front speaker blew out.

General Comments:

I've always liked the design of this car. It looks pretty classy for a cheap car.

The engine is not very peppy compared to my 1986 Honda Accord with fuel injection.

I have just kept up routine oil changes and so far, so good.

The brakes are very squeaky and the dealership actually told me I did NOT have to replace the pads, that's just the deal with Altimas.

Review Date: 22nd February, 2001

13th Jul 2001, 17:18

The Altima does have fuel injection. The above review leads one to believe that it doesn't.

22nd Oct 2009, 20:20

I believe all cars from the early 1990's up to now are fuel injected.

1998 Nissan Altima GXE Inline 2.4L 4-Cycl from North America

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission Inline 2.4L 4-Cycl Automatic
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

Great bargain

Nothing, runs great.

General Comments:

Great car, would buy another in a heartbeat, never regreted the buy especially with my extended warranty for 100,000 miles that I may never use.

Review Date: 1st August, 2000

1998 Nissan Altima SE 2.4 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.4

Replaced water pump.

Replaced starter.

Replaced front struts.

Replaced window moulding.

Engine torn down to repair engine noise.

Fog lamp bulb replaced

Replaced idler pulley.

Undetermined noises

General Comments:

The car has spent more time in the shop than on the road with a variety of problems. It has not been reliable!

I would not recommend Nissan products to anyone. Their Satisfaction Centre only repeats the "party line."

Review Date: 18th October, 1998

4th May 2001, 15:07

My Altima from day one was bad because for one the brakes made noises which in my mind said bad brakes. To Nissan it was spraying some form of lubricant on them and to them that said fixed. They said that they fixed them, but of course Nissan were stupid because it rained that day and here comes the noise, so I took it back in and of course they said the brakes were new & why they SQUEAK. Well end of long story, they don't fix anything, they just color coat it.

My car is burnt to a crisp now thanks to Nissan.