27th Apr 2009, 14:27

I bought a 1989 Axxess 6 months ago for $500. No idea how many miles it really has as the speedo does not work. It just bounces, unless it's cold then it works. I love the van. Though the parts are getting hard for me to find.

12th Sep 2009, 20:26

I just bought a 1990 Axxess 2WD automatic today at an auction for $850 before taxes and fees. It has 117,000km (70,000 miles) not bad for a car that's nearly 20 years old.

Don't know much about what it will need to be certified but it's in very good shape. Only a little rust on the passenger door. (southern Ontario area).

Parts of the exhaust have rusted away and it feels quite poky. I expect the Cat may be plugged. I'll be posting a review later.

14th Dec 2009, 08:18

I bought my '90 AWD Axxess 3 years ago with about 290,000 km on it (quick mental conversion from miles to km, being as I live in the US which continues to use the ridiculous English measurement system). After six months the clutch went; parts were a bit difficult to locate and the job cost $600.

I now believe the timing belt is skipping. What are the symptoms? There is a loud "slapping" sound and engine dies when vehicle is brought to a stop; engine oil warning light also flashes on even though it isn't low on oil. Afraid to drive it for fear of ruining engine. Does this sound like timing belt and what am I looking at for repair cost?

18th Jun 2010, 19:54

Hi Folks;

Interesting comments to me so far, and a fair amount of consensus about value.

I will only more or less add to that. I bought my AWD 1990 Axxess up in B.C. for $500 (270k kilometres / 168 K miles). Put a $150 muffler on it, a $600 water pump, thermostat regulator and oil change, and then when I got it down to the States, I added a catalytic converter for $100 (including labour) and 2 lower ball joints for $100 (including labor). I’ve put on at least 3000 miles on my run from Canada to the U.S.

I will most definitely keep my eyes peeled on timing chains.

Anyone know how much is that part for the Axxess – should I replace it pre-emptively?

I also love how the AWD drives in the rain. I have a FWD (same year) that I also bought for $500 10 years back, and have loved that too. It’s also quite grippy, but the AWD feels better so far.

I am having problems with leaky sunroof and will see who can fix it cheap. I also have a funky think with the wiper (sometimes it won’t work unless I start the back wiper, and then only with a minor wait). And the gloss on the pain is coming off in parts.

And I do have transmission issues (just like my other Axxess but with a variation). On my FWD Axxess, I have to warm it up for 10 minutes, then it’s great, shifts fine for the day. On the AWD drive, I have to drive it for 6 blocks or so at 20 mph, and then it’s fine, but only for a few hours.

Bottom line, I rescued a really cool surf car, and the pin stripes on it are right out of Tron. In fact I may single handedly bring back loud disco pin stripes, because of the car, which I classify as a sub mini van (years ahead of its time for interior space and small footprint)

Peace from Manhattan Beach, CA.