1992 Nissan Hardbody Pickup Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1992 Nissan Hardbody Pickup from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carDodge Shadow

Summary:

Greatness!!!

Nothing wrong with this car. Got vehicle at over 200K miles from my dad. Been through three skirmishes with other vehicles (other person's fault on each). Every time it had less damage than the other car. This time, damage exceeds value (according to insurance company). Still drives, will be using as a work truck on my Dad's farm. Won't be allowed back on the street, but keeps on going.

General Comments:

Best vehicle I have ever had. Good A/C. Good everything. Seat is not always comfortable, but hey, they weren't built to be comfortable in 1992 only reliable. And reliable it was and is. I'd recommend this vehicle for any person that is looking for a good truck to drive to work or hunt in, or play in.

Review Date: 31st January, 2004

1992 Nissan Hardbody Pickup King cab 2.4 liter 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 2.4 liter 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carDodge Diplomat

Summary:

Good truck

The exhaust system from the catalytic converter back fell off from rust.

Brakes, pads and rotors in front, shoes and drums in back.

The power steering belt broke, and had to be replaced.

A couple tiny spots of rust, mostly around the wheel wells.

General Comments:

Good acceleration for a four-cylinder engine with automatic. It's not a Corvette, but I never have any worries when trying to pass somebody. Gas mileage is about 20 miles to the gallon, which I don't think is very impressive for a four-cylinder engine with only rear-wheel drive.

Only rear-wheel drive, but still good in snow. I don't even have snow tires, and I can drive more confidently in snow than most anything else, even front-wheel drives. It's a truck, it has high clearance, it can drive in snow where anything else will get stuck.

Handling is relatively carlike in most driving, but it could be better, it can feel very tippy just going the speed limit on curving rural roads and highway onramps and offramps. Steering is very stiff, which is fun when you're trying to have fun driving, but gets on your nerves when you just want to get somewhere. Steering is more precise than most trucks I have driven, less precise than most cars I have driven. High center of gravity, which means heavy winds can make it feel tippy.

Ride is good for a truck, bad for a car. It gets better with a load of firewood in back. The seats are better than in most Japanese cars, but I'd still prefer a big old American car with a bench seat and an armrest.

Extended cab is a good option. The jump seats in back are cramped, of course, but even adults are fine for short trips. Good for storage in back, too.

Like all the chrome, the chrome wheels, bumpers and grille. Would definitely recommend the chrome package.

Has held up fairly well, but not quite as well as I expected from a Nissan. The engine is already starting to ping a bit on the low-grade unleaded. The brakes that went were not the original brakes, and at least two sets of brakes in 80,000 miles seems excessive. My Dodge Diplomat's brakes went at 133,000, and those were the original brakes. I only had to do the front brakes on that, I still have the original drums in the back of that thing, and it stops beautifully. The Diplomat has been driven hard all its life, first by the police and then by several teenagers; the Nissan was owned by an old man for many years.

But that's a minor criticism; everything else has held up fine, it has started every time and always driven well. It's a good truck, probably the best small truck you can buy.

Review Date: 30th December, 2003

1992 Nissan Hardbody Pickup SE 3.0 from North America

First year of ownership1992
Most recent distance202000 miles
Previous carFord Thunderbird

Summary:

A great value machine

We lost the radio at 3 years, replaced under warranty with a rebuilt. The replacement lasted approx another 3. This time, I replaced it with name brand which is still running.

We lost the instrument panel (specifically the gas gauge) at 2 years and the panel was replaced under warranty.

At 8 years or 180,000 miles, we lost the starter, which I replaced.

I do preventative maintainance of belts, hoses, timing belt, and water pump at a 2 year interval. I have also had the alternator bearings and brushes replaced just on principle.

Seats need replacement, but are still usable. Just not so comfortable as when they were new.

I keep waiting for something else to go amiss, but the old gal just keeps on running.

General Comments:

Other than above, this has probably been my best automobile in 30+ years of driving. Take a lesson, Detroit. I would love to buy one of yours, but you would have a rough time matching the reliability of this machine. Make a good, small, reliable, truck. Heck, even charge me more to buy it, but support it and me and you will keep me. The Japanese have learned that lesson.

Review Date: 24th November, 2003

29th Jun 2004, 14:11

Agree totally! Bought my truck in the summer of '92 for $6900 with 10 miles on it. It now has 170,000 and running as strong as ever. Still getting 20+ mpg (good considering how I drive it.) I have done all routine maintenance as recommended.

The only thing replaced on the block so far is the water pump because the gasket started leaking, but the pump was fine. Oh, replaced the thermostat also because I was right there. That's it! Starter, Alt., timing chain, (although I'm not sure how long those are suppose to last) are all original.

Hard to believe that I drove this truck through my senior year of high school. Do you know what kind of abuse my clutch has been through? Hasn't gone out yet.

I'm sure being a 12 year old truck with most original parts, I'll be stranded somewhere, sometime. However, it has been much more reliable than my '97 GMC Yukon with 69,000 miles. Thank you Nissan for the full size trucks!

24th Nov 2008, 12:22

Me too! I bought in late 91 with about 14 on it, now nearly 300K. Same basic things went wrong. Radio - replaced under warranty. Gas gauge - replace the entire instrument panel under warranty. Starter (3 so far). Clutch is starting to slip so I'll be yanking the transmission and replacing it before end of the year.

Take a lesson, Detroit. You want my business - sell me a comparable vehicle and STAND BEHIND IT. I have had my fill of Detroit's finest and except for the 62 Olds that I had that lasted for 20 years this is the finest functional vehicle I've owned. I expect I'll be putting my own crate engine and transmission in at some point and don't plan to buy another until the new generation vehicles have proven themselves.

1992 Nissan Hardbody Pickup Long Bed V6 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission V6 Manual
Previous carMazda MX3

Summary:

Nissans live forever

Steering box went out after hitting a dip in the road

Starter.

New engine, but the transmission is sick, no problem.

General Comments:

I have decided that Nissan trucks are indestructable, yo can't kill them. I've lowered it and have no problems, and it handles curves at 95mph like you're going 25mph.

Miles per gallon is bad, but I have a K&N intake, aftermarket intake manifold, 18x9 brevets and DC exhaust system. I've had this truck pushing 128mph easy, no lie, I can prove it!

Review Date: 8th June, 2001

23rd Jul 2001, 00:45

I have a 93 Nissan Pickup, lowered 4 inches. I've done everything to it rims, stereo, interior... etc. It truly is indestructible.

1992 Nissan Hardbody Pickup 4X4 2.4L from North America