2008 Nissan Qashqai 2.0 DCi diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

TRASH

Where to begin? Passenger door actuator failed, faulty engine sensor, OSF window came out of its guide. DPF problems ongoing from around 13000 miles, usual pointless advice... long runs, high speed etc, £600 and counting to sort this ongoing problem.

The car has 55000 miles, 1 owner from new, full service history, mmm, sounds great. BANG! Crankshaft main bearing failure, when the engine is stripped down we find the timing chain is also stretched... to cut a long story short, £1800 to repair, totally lost confidence in the car, getting rid of it ASAP.

Wouldn't wish this garbage on my worst enemy! Avoid at all costs, the 2.0 DCi has been a disaster.

General Comments:

Overrated, underpowered, uncomfortable, UNRELIABLE - SEE ABOVE!

Review Date: 16th March, 2017

16th Mar 2017, 14:42

Nissan are going downhill these times. The company just doesn't have a good management/engineering team. Better stay with Honda or Toyota until Nissan turns either into a competitive car maker, or just simply leaves the car making market.

16th Mar 2017, 16:40

I don't know about Nissan or any other manufacture in particular going downhill, but I think the problem is modern diesels.

By modern I mean most cars built after about 2005 onwards.

Across all reviews I read a lot about clogged DPFs, faulty injectors, and even flywheels wearing out prematurely.

Myself I went back to driving petrol cars after bad experiences with diesel. The extra cost on fuel is still better than dealing with the £1000+ repair bill a diesel hits you with at some point, thus defeating the purpose of saving money on fuel!

I'd only recommend a modern diesel to someone if they were doing crazy high mileages to see the benefits out of it. Otherwise stick to an older petrol car - cheaper in the long run.

17th Mar 2017, 01:47

Nissan is also terrible here in North America. Not as bad as Mitsubishi, but pretty close. People buy them thinking you get "Japanese quality", but the engines are nowhere close to as reliable as Honda or Toyota. Had 2 Nissans, both leaked tons of oil on my driveway and were in the shop often. Now I only buy Ford, GM, Honda and Toyota; I'm not wasting my time and money with Nissan ever again.

18th Mar 2017, 03:59

Nissan hasn't gotten much right since the merger with Renault.

2008 Nissan Qashqai Tekna 4WD 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Trash

Interior trim started to fall off after less than one year and barely 10,000 miles.

Heater and air-conditioning were slow to work, and finally failed after 15,000 miles.

Interior light-bulb blew after 17,000 miles, and again after 22,000 miles.

Ignition failed after 24,000 miles.

Driver's window motor failed after 26,000 miles.

Stereo packed up after 27,000 miles, and shortly afterwards I traded it in.

General Comments:

This car cost me nearly £20,000 to buy, and I've never wasted so much money in my entire life.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't too bad to drive, and it was quite comfortable.

But it was badly built and unreliable, and within a year I knew I would be getting rid of it as soon as I'd paid for it.

As soon as I paid for it, I traded it in for a new Mondeo. My previous 3 cars were all Mondeo's, and they were all far better than this trash.

Review Date: 7th September, 2011

2008 Nissan Qashqai Tekna 2.0 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Don't buy the Nissan Qashqai

Interior light bulb blew 5 times.

Leaked oil on 7 occasions after 5,000 miles.

Clutch worn and needed replacing after less than 10,000 miles.

Gearbox became faulty and needed replacing after just over 12,000 miles.

Window motor on front passenger side failed just days after gearbox was replaced.

CD ejection jammed after 15,000 miles, and the whole stereo had to replaced.

General Comments:

Bought one because I kept hearing about how brilliant the Nissan Qashqai was, and how it was a new breed of family car.

But it's been the biggest letdown I've ever shelled out for, and I would never touch a Nissan again.

Apart from being unreliable, it was nowhere near as good to drive as I had been informed it was.

I had a Renault Laguna before, and they were notorious for mechanical and electrical problems, which were expensive to correct, but mine wasn't bad, and it was actually far better than the Nissan Qashqai.

Review Date: 26th November, 2010

27th Dec 2012, 19:56

This is because of the diesel engines!! The petrol engines were made by Nissan and the diesel engines by Renault. I was after a diesel Qashqai until I found this out, and now I have a 1.6 petrol and it's never let me down.

I think the build quality went downhill when Renault took over!!

14th Jul 2014, 19:34

Well I have been an owner of 2 Qashqai, namely a 1600 and a 2000. Both were petrol units. Km traveled: the 1600 - 185000km, the 2000 - 275000. Both were fantastic vehicles.

I am busy purchasing a 3rd one, a diesel 1500 DCI. Hope to get the same service out of it.

David Hird from South Africa.

8th Jun 2015, 10:59

Having a Nissan engine would hardly solve the problems this owner had with the transmission, wiper motor, driver's side window or interior lights.

Would the original reviewer happen to still own the car? If so, would you like to update us on how ownership has progressed in the past 3-4 years?

2008 Nissan Qashqai Acenta 1.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

I will never buy a Nissan again

Clutch plate broke at less than 5,000 miles.

Interior light bulb broke at 7,000 miles.

Driver's side window motor failed at 10,000 miles, followed by malfunction of stereo buttons.

Oil leaks started at around 15,000 miles, and resulted in valve cover gaskets needing replacement.

Clutch worn out after 17,000 miles.

Engine needed replacing, following fire at 22,000 miles, brought on by leaking water cooling pipe.

General Comments:

Not a bad car to drive, but the Qashqai has been terribly unreliable, and so different from the Nissans I owned in the past. I had a second hand Saab 9-3 before, and I'd rather have kept that instead of buying this heap of junk.

Review Date: 11th January, 2010

5th Jun 2011, 09:07

Had a disappointing experience with my Qashqai -- first brand new car ever - never had as much trouble with any secondhand car previously owned - have completely gone off Nissan..

25th Sep 2011, 06:00

Had a 1.5 diesel since March of 2011, and a few minor problems, one - the bluetooth kept freezing and not working properly, two - the driver's door kept forgetting that it had a full-auto mode, and I had to keep reprogramming it.

It's a good drive, not as good as the adverts say it is on fuel, unless you want to go everywhere on tick over!!

The paint is thin and scratches at the slightest hint of being rubbed or on leaned on.

Yes, you will bang your head every time you get in it unless you're shorter than five feet five.

Overall, I like this car and all it has to offer as a driver friendly vehicle.

Oh, and the glass roof makes the black leather seats become hotter than my old mum's spiral oven rings!!