1988 Nissan Sentra 2 Door Coupe 1.6 litre Inline 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

I would buy another Sentra in a minute!

The car needed an air conditioning compressor when I first got it.

Had a new clutch installed at 155,000 miles.

General Comments:

Great gas mileage (36 MPG), very comfortable, even for a big guy like me. (6' 245 lbs.). It has never failed to start or left me stranded. I traded my 95 Caravan with a bad transmission and messed up electrical system for this Sentra. I though I'd just have it a few weeks until I got another car, but I fell in love with the reliability and handeling.

Review Date: 9th August, 2004

1988 Nissan Sentra Wagon XE 1.6L from North America

Summary:

A great car for the money..

AC compessor went out on it around 200k.

Can't complain as that was the origonal.

Door handle's on the interior broke.

Other than that don't have much to.

Complain about. I paid $1,100 for the.

Car in 1999, from the orig. owner and.

Sold it to my neighbor's daughter this.

Year and now she is having a great time.

Driving it.

General Comments:

This car will not die!!! Just make sure.

You change the oil every 3,000 miles and you'll have a steady runner for a long, long time...

Review Date: 30th December, 2003

7th Nov 2006, 10:10

I recently purchased a 1988 Nissan Sentra XE Wagon with 45,000 miles on the engine.

Typical old lady going to the grocery store story. This car is a tank. Maybe the army would like to borrow it?

1988 Nissan Sentra 4wd wagon 1.6L from North America

Summary:

Couldn't be a more perfect design for a sensible buyer

Smog requirements saw mileage drop from 27mpg to 17 mpg. An almost impossible result to occur. A new engine was attempted, only to be deceived by the new mechanic covering up for the Smog Station, resulting in no power to climb a hill properly. The vehicle, vin #JN1PB25YXJU005660 "ran like a top", and would have continued to do so if local fraud had not been put forth.

General Comments:

This vehicle truly ran as well as other favorable reviews have exclaimed. I am seriously disabled, and found the vehicle matching my every need for reliability, especially my first experience with a "hatch back". Four doors; and above all, 4wd upon command, made this a "brick" of a vehicle that's not made anymore, which makes the two repair shops criminals that no governmental agency cared about either. I needed that car held by lien.

Review Date: 1st August, 2003

1988 Nissan Sentra from North America

Summary:

A cute little car that doesn't run too well

I've always found problems with it mechanically. It has low power in first gear and improves in second or third. Runs poorly in damp weather, and better (but not great) in warm weather. I have replaced the cv boots, throttle valve, timing chain, had a couple of oil leaks repaired, etc.

The dealer has taken off all of the engine parts and tested them, and all are okay. They tried replacing the fuel pump, computer, and various other parts in order to fix the problem of low power upon take off, or going up hills, but nothing worked. In the end they admitted that they are unable to determine what the problem is and returned it to me without charging me. They were wonderful by the way!

General Comments:

Interior and exterior have remained almost as new, and there is no rust.

It is comfortable and easy to drive.

Review Date: 15th July, 2003

1988 Nissan Sentra E 1.6L fuel injected from North America

Summary:

An inexpensive plain, but attractive looking car for the money. Rivals the reliability of a Honda !

Both front constant velocity joints were replaced at 129,000 miles.

Mass airflow sensor was replaced at 161,000 miles.

General Comments:

This is an ideal car for someone on a budget who wants reliability and above average handling for a small car. Insurance is very inexpensive and parts for this car are readily available at most parts stores, a rarity for imports!

However, automatic transmission models should be avoided. They have a history of being troublesome and are costly to repair.

Overall, this car has given me (and continues to provide) many miles of trouble and worry free driving! The engine is not the quickest, but it starts effortlessly in hot and cold weather and is very easy to work on for the "do it yourself" mechanic. The timing belt and water pump are very easy to replace on this particular car too.

Review Date: 20th April, 2003

30th Nov 2003, 00:21

Good, thorough write up on the 88 Sentra. I bought one for my wife for $400 and with just a new clutch and tune-up, it runs great! And she loves it!