1994 Nissan Sunny Reviews - Page 3 of 4

1994 Nissan Sunny LX 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2001

Summary:

A super Sunny

Left rear window motor.

General Comments:

This is the quickest 5 door car I have ever driven. The cabin is spacious although a little dull. The running costs are high due to front tyre wear from the 150BHP engine.

Review Date: 12th September, 2001

12th Sep 2001, 11:36

I find this a very peculiar review... you say this is the fastest 5 door car you've driven, you say it is a 1.4 LX, but yet it has a 150BHP engine and you give it 4 out of 10 for performance.

Just doesn't make sense to me... since the 1.4 sunny is only 85BHP and it's the 2.0 GTI that has approx. 150BHP

18th Oct 2001, 04:49

The injection pressure has been changed to 150psi, its fast, but I am not sure how long the engine will last.

1994 Nissan Sunny SLX 1.6i from UK and Ireland

First year of ownership1994
Engine and transmission 1.6i Manual
Previous carNissan Primera

Summary:

Excellent build and very nippy

Top timing chain tensioner, engine was running fabulously until Halfords used engine flush against my recommendations.

I hate this stuff, it drags all the crap out of the bottom of the sump and through the engine into all the oil holes.

Exhaust, original lasted 7 years, carshack replacement lasted 12 months. If you intend keeping the car buy an original.

Rear shocks getting creaky when stopping at lights.

Parts are dear, but you very rarely need any.

General Comments:

Very reliable car (touch wood), good acceleration. Fuel consumption is average.

The 1.6 SLX is a rare for Nissan multi point injection, chain driven (no cam belt to change), twin cam 16v giving over 100 bhp. I have surprised a few people at the lights with mine. The new Almeras would not pull you out of bed.

When I first got it, it was like driving on oil with the standard 175 Dunlops. I binned them and fitted 185 Goodyear Eagle NCT's and it handles excellently in the wet.

Unusually for a FWD, if it does go, only the back end slides.

Only buy Japanese built Nissans. I had a British built 2.0 Primera after 3 Sunnys and found the build quality very shabby, both cams knackered after 27,000 miles, luckily under warranty. Flogged it after 12 months and bought the SLX Sunny.

The front seats are very comfy. Full electrics. Rear legroom only good for children, I am flogging mine as my family has since expanded and I am going for a QX.

A lot of motoring magazines call Nissans boring. Is it because you never have to lift the bonnet to work on them?

Review Date: 18th August, 2001

11th Nov 2001, 17:55

Just adding another few words to my review, since the last review the top timing chain has gone completely (absolute nightmare to change), the front discs have disintegrated, all the heat shields have fallen off the exhaust, the thrust release bearing is screaming (I drilled a hole in the top of the bell housing and sprayed WD40 on it), hopefully it will keep quiet till I sell it.

The car was registered in 1994, when I rang the dealer with the VIN number for the timing chain they said it was built in 1992! It must have been sat in a rice field for 2 years.

1994 Nissan Sunny ARX 1.4 petrol from Belgium

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 1.4 petrol Manual
Most recent distance193000 kilometres
Previous carCitroen AX

Summary:

Small, lovely jet

I bought this car second hand. I got it as a replacement car, when my AX was being fixed. I liked it so much I switched my AX GTi for this sporty version of the Sunny.

Battery (the original that came with the new car) broke in 2000.

Besides that nothing wrong, nothing had to be replaced!!

General Comments:

Compared to a Citroen AX GTi, this car flies!!! The engine is so powerful. Even in the lower rev-range, you still have all the revs you need. Needless to say, overtaking is not a single problem for this car.

Maybe the suspension is just a bit too stiff. Although I can imagine some people who would like this. Personally, I think it's just too stiff for me.

The car easily transports 4 grownups (it's a 3 door Sunny) and you still have room for some hand luggage.

The truck is also quite big for a 3 door car.

The only thing I can think of that might be a turn-off, would be the fact that the car is damn ugly when it isn't fitted with a back-spoiler that "lengthens" the roof. At least I think so, seeing the rear window is bent near the top.

Review Date: 16th July, 2001