1997 Nissan Vanette Cargo 2.3 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Complete rubbish

Leaking oil for three weeks. Now it won't start. I think it's the starter motor; can anyone help? It happened before and it was a loose wire. I had a go today to try and fix it. I just want rid so I can get a new van

General Comments:

It's the worst van I've ever had slow; loud and unreliable.

Review Date: 18th February, 2009

1999 Nissan Vanette Cargo 2.3 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Solid reliable van with reasonable comfort and good sized cargo area, but is lacking in power

The heater switch started to only work on full power no4 soon after I got the van; I believe this to be a common fault and have found it to be a little credit card sized circuit board located under the bonnet that has blown.

The covers for the side loading door tracks corrode; again this appears to be a common fault.

General Comments:

This van has been very reliable in the three plus years I've owned it.

It is reasonably comfortable, but very noisy, especially over 50mph.

It is quite gutless for a 2.3, but weight does not appear to make any difference; I always have around half a ton in it, and sometimes more.

It does 33/34 mpg on medium and long journeys, and burns virtually no oil between changes.

Review Date: 16th March, 2008

1999 Nissan Vanette Cargo 2.3D from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A more refined and powerful power unit would make this van the complete package

Rear spring-leaf rubber inserts worn out. Suspension "squeaks" over bumps as an indication. £30 materials, managed to replace myself.

General Comments:

Fantastic reliability.

Power steering, central locking and two side doors as standard.

Not designed for long journeys - seriously under-powered and noisy for motorway use, but geared effectively to take heavy loads around town - most of my work!

Fuel economy is not brilliant, but driving style can make a big difference.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2007

24th Mar 2010, 05:11

Not particularly fuel economic, but it is a big heavy non-aerodynamic brick!

Reliable starter and runner (as you'd expect from a diesel) until you try and start it over 2000m above sea level, then lack of oxygen makes it trickier (crazy I know, but true).

Actually quite comfy for a long journey (5000km round Europe in 40 days), just a bit warm on the leg touching centre console, and significantly noisier when emptier!!

I think later models have better sound proofing, I won't say mine is quiet, but if you stay out of the range of natural body resonance, it's perfectly tolerable, and you can still have a conversation at motorway speeds.

As with any sliding doors, I'd recommend keeping them clean, free from dirt/sand, and well greased and they'll be fine.

Only real negative comment is that the handling, empty in the wet, is lethal, back end slides out way too easily, even with the minimal power this van has!!!

9th Apr 2010, 12:34

I have a Vanette on a P reg 2.3 diesel. Does anyone know if I have power steering, because I don't at the moment, and steering is hard???

1998 Nissan Vanette Cargo cargo lwb 2.3 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Good mid sized van

Brake Servo Failed.

General Comments:

Having worked within the motor industry for a lenght of time, I was aware of the reliability of Japanese vehicles.

The Vanette Cargo is not the Quickest vehicle around and certainly not at home on a Motorway, however they are a honest work horse that returns 33 mpg when driven sensibly.

I have found the Parts to be Expensive if purchasing from a main Dealer, However try ebay and your local LDV CUB (its appears to be the same vehicle, but badged LDV CUB) dealer.

Review Date: 19th December, 2006

16th May 2007, 18:57

This comment seems to be dead right ie mpg. Being a light van, I thought it might get a lot more mpg.

1998 Nissan Vanette Cargo GL 1.75 from Sri Lanka

Summary:

Cheaper option

General Comments:

Good performance, but lack the comfort.

Road clearance is too low for rural roads. Controlling is not so good over 60 kph speeds. Hood is made out of cheap very thin iron plate.

Safety is minimum for the front people.

Review Date: 6th April, 2004

2000 Nissan Vanette Cargo 2.3d from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A cheap van, but you would soon get to know the dealer very well

6000 miles rocker gasket leaked and oil made its way to clutch and then clutch started to slip.

7000 miles fan blower for interior had to be replaced.

11000 miles rocker gasket leaking again.

28000 miles drive shaft fell off.

32000 miles 8 bushes had to be replaced in back suspension.

39000 miles breather cap went causing oil to leak.

General Comments:

No power for a 2.3d engine had a Toyota lite-ace 1.8d engine and performed way better. Funny noise off fan belt all the time.

Review Date: 22nd October, 2002