1984 Oldsmobile 98 Reviews

Year of manufacture1984
Engine and transmission 307 Automatic
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carDodge Dart

Summary:

I see 13 second quarter mile times in the future

Power windows got a little sluggish.

Headliner sags badly.

Starting to get a little rusty.

General Comments:

I've always had an appreciation for GM B-Bodies, including this one.

With the 307 it was slow, very slow, that's why I'm putting a 350 Rocket in it.

I'm putting it on the road this spring after the drivability issues (brakes, driveline) are situated, and I will repair or replace other parts that need attention as I drive it (body, paint, performance) to make it like new again.

Review Date: 19th February, 2010

20th Feb 2010, 11:01

You want that car to run 13 second quarter miles? It can be done very easily. Don't use the 350. Use the 455 and a TH400 trans.

Also go to http://www.mondellotwister.com/; a site which has a vast amount of speed parts for the 455. You can very readily build a 455 with a minimum of 500 HP with the items there.

21st Feb 2010, 22:55

I'm the guy who wrote the review, and I hear ya with the 455; love 'em, but I've got the 350 (Oldsmobile) laying around, and I've got a soft spot for those too, plus that 350 has sentimental value. You know what I mean?

1984 Oldsmobile 98 Regency 307 from North America

Model year1984
Year of manufacture1984
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 307 Automatic
Previous carMazda B2500

Summary:

Quality and durable performance

I have only had to replace the fuel pump and the master cylinder, pretty much a few months after I bought it. Mostly because the previous owner said it had been sitting for a long time.

Other than that and routine maintenance, that's been all I have had to do.

General Comments:

This car is a work horse.

After all the miles and driving it just keeps going.

A lot of people want a new car every year or every five, but I don't understand how people want a new plastic fiber glass valued car versus a real metal quality engine and body that can withstand enormous abuse if it need be.

This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. When I am driving in it, I feel like nothing can even touch me, like it's a tank on wheels.

And restoring it is gonna be a blast.

They say technically it's an antique because it's over 25 years old, so I'm gonna get it back to mint right off the assembly line perfection and park it. It is my pride and joy.

I would much rather have an 84 Oldsmobile versus an 09 Camaro. Because mine is quality metal and durable parts that I know will never fail me. This car will last forever.

Review Date: 26th July, 2009

1984 Oldsmobile 98 5.7L from North America

Model year1984
Year of manufacture1983
Engine and transmission 5.7L Automatic

Summary:

Can't wait for her to be a daily driver with all new parts

Lack of power-note mileage-needs rebuild.

Interior trim falling apart.

Radio not working.

Paint is shot.

Rear main and both transmission seals gone, leaks bad.

Steering wheel cracked.

General Comments:

Last owner charged AC, new headliner and kept her in good shape, but age is taking a toll.

Surprisingly vinyl roof still intact.

Feels like driving your couch around.

Most people stay away from you on the road with this tank. No tailgaters or people hogging parking spaces.

Most parts are still easy to find.

Review Date: 12th March, 2009

13th Mar 2009, 06:21

Sounds like you'll be throwing good money after bad.

With a vehicle this old, it seems everytime you fix something, something else goes bad.

Take my advice, don't throw your money away - you'll never come out ahead with an old clunker.

13th Mar 2009, 18:09

I tend to disagree with the "old clunker" assessment. I think it depends on what you mean by "come out ahead." If you just want something to get from A to B, doing some catch-up maintenance and repairs on an old car is far more economical than making a new car payment, or even buying a late-model used car. Consider that if you get an old beater for $500 and it moves under its own power, you have just saved $5,500 even if it pukes in a year. If it costs $50 a month to fix something, you still save $4,900. Cash in the bank!

On the other hand, it's important to maintain a little perspective. In that sense, the other guy has a point that if you plan to "cherry out" an '83 Olds with a tired-out engine, shot transmission, and peeled-off paint, you kind of have to ask "why?" There will be better cars that come along after this one is finished serving its purpose of basic transportation.

14th Mar 2009, 10:21

Well the opening statement:

"Can't wait for her to be a daily driver with all new parts"

Leads me to believe that the owner wants to make it "new" again, and to me spending that kind of cash on that particular vehicle would be a waste of time and money.

14th Mar 2009, 15:40

I've owned 3 of these automobiles. 2 '85 Delta 88 and 1 '86 Caprice classic. These cars are all basically the same with diff names built on the Caprice chassis from 1978-1985. These cars are built like tanks and from my experience have been extremely reliable. It is getting harder to find one of these cars in decent shape these days, a lot of people use them in demolition derby's. If you enjoy your car as much as I enjoyed mine then it is well worth the expense and TLC to fix whatever's wrong! And you will have a well-built comfortable vehicle that you don't see see at every stoplight (unlike the Honda Accord I drive now lol)

12th Apr 2009, 19:18

My alternator won't charge, and I changed the plug and put a new alternator on it. Other than that, it's a great car, all original and 43000 miles. Great paint, love it.

20th Feb 2010, 22:27

Definitely fix this "clunker" HAHAHA, they turn heads when they look nice. I always got compliments on mine even with it's um, 'patina'.