1984 Oldsmobile 98 Regency 350 gasoline from North America

Summary:

A very good clean riding car

Oil Leak- I had to tighten my valve covers when I first got it.

Seats are original as is every thing else on the car, but they are starting to dry rot.

The rag-top roof needs replaced (not enough money yet) and the paint needs re-done.

Break Booster- like $80.00 used from junkyard installed self. (very expensive if bought brand new like $160)

Transmission seems to slip it's at 87,000 original miles.

Windows come of track sometimes.

I have mainly had to maintain normal wear and tear. Best car I have ever had!

General Comments:

My only complaint is it eats through gas like a rat through wood.

I have never had a single problem getting it so start.

Doesn't have the pick up and go from the start, but once it hits 30 m.p.h it takes off.

And it has lots, and lots of room for us big people.

Review Date: 31st October, 2003

14th Oct 2004, 05:29

I haven't had a problem with mine taking off from the start. He must be just plan fat dude.

3rd Aug 2011, 08:04

I purchased a used forest green, 1984 Oldsmobile 98RB with 70K miles on it. I ran it for another 200K miles, then me and a friend changed the timing belt. Ran it for another 50K, and gave it to another friend when it had well over 300k miles, and to my knowledge it is still running.

I changed the oil every 3000 miles; one time I brought it to a mechanic to change the valve cover seals, and they did such a bad job I had to replace the seals/gaskets myself. The point being, you could work on this vehicle yourself with a little common sense and time.

Great, great, great vehicle... they really don't make them like this anymore. What a shame. Chris.

1984 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham 307 V8 from North America

Summary:

If you can find one of these -- it is a GREAT car!

Most Recent - Transmission at 94,0000 - overdrive gear went out -- replaced transmission with junkyard tranny! 200 bucks!

Freeze plug replaced at 75,000 miles.

Radiator replaced.

AC out of freon.

Heater Core bad.

Replaced Exhaust System.

General Comments:

This has been the best car I've ever owned -- I had an 82 Olds Ninety Eight before this. I sold it and bought my grand mothers 84 model and currently have it today! I use it as an every day driver! This car has NEVER given me a problem other than normal maintenance items and things of replacement due to its age -- the original power options still work fine -- antenna and windows and seats! The car has vinyl padded roof just replaced and a new paint job -- total of $2500 bucks! The wood grain still looks new and so does the velour interior. The car has always been taken care of and always dependable. The original starter, alternator and AC compressor are still on the car -- only radiator has been changed! I will have the AC charged up, but it uses the old freon which is almost 200 bucks a pound now! This car rides like its on AIR -- forget Cadillac or Mercedes -- this is the RIDE -- sit back and relax - it's a great feeling to have Olds Ninety Eight around you! Forget Air Bags -- you don't' need them - if you hit something you won't' have much if any damage -- solid metal -- no plastic! I have probably only spent in the last 10 years around $3500 bucks in repairs and most of that is the paintjob!!! You just turn the key and go! I would highly reccommend finding one of these and restoring it to anyone -- and I wish GM still made this car! If anyone wants pictures please email me at sgicuteboy25@aol.com.

Review Date: 29th January, 2003

15th Mar 2004, 14:50

I own a 1984 Oldsmobile 98, and I love it very much!

I got the car at a very good price, due to the fact that my father owns a paint and body shop! When I got the car, it had a super duper motor and transmission, but the body had rust in a few spots. The exhaust system had corroded, the windshield was busted, the headliner was blowing in the wind, the stereo system was shot, I had four mixed matched wheels and tires, and the vinyl top rolled back like a sardine can top, and the paint job looked like a faded mess. But that was a year ago since I acquired it, and boy you should see me now.

New exhaust system from the front to the back, brand new windshield. I had the vinyl top removed, a brand new stereo system added, a Pioneer 2004 CD unit, (4) 400 watt 4-way 6x9, (2) Q-POWER 15's, Alpine disc changer, 1000 watt SPECIAL EDITION COMP. amplifier, Phoenix gold RCA connections, 3.25" highs in the dash, fuse block, the works!

My car also received a brand new paint job (CANDY CALIFORNIA GOLD with the chrome stripes down both sides), and a European front end KIT was added, with quad fog lamps for night vision in the bumper! I also added triple gold Daytons on VOGUE tires, and a fifth wheel KIT to the rear bumper, limo tinted windows all around, and a state of the art security system with remote, and a GRANT woodgrain steering wheel!

I'm sure I forgot to mention a few more accessories, but in all I got myself a real piece of American motor, customized to my every need and want, and my Olds 350 leaves them in the dust every time I pull it out of the garage, because I only drive it on weekends, and I know I put over $8000 worth of customizing on it, and it was worth every penny! YOU REALLY HAVE TO BE AN OLDS 98 DRIVER TO UNDERSTAND! It's a real player's kinda car!

27th Mar 2010, 04:33

When I was a young man, I had owned a '40 Buick Roadmaster coupe, a '33 Chevrolet Master series 4 door, a '46 Ford Tudor, a '50 Jeepster phaeton, a '37 Chevrolet 4 Door, and a '38 Chevrolet 2 Door, but when I bought a 3 year old '50 Olds 88 Deluxe 4 Door sedan, I thought I was in a whole other world.

I owned many cars after that, but until I owned an '84 Ninety-Eight Regency Brougham 4 door, I figured GM had forgotten how to build cars.

I would have to rate that '84 among the best cars I have ever owned, and right up there among the best is another Ninety-Eight I have owned for 27 years, a '49 Ninety-Eight Deluxe Club Sedan.

1984 Oldsmobile 98 Brougham 307 from North America

Summary:

This car is a Cadillac,just with a prettier body

I have changed the water pump. I replaced the timing chain at 150,000 miles. To make the ride feel like new again I replaced the shocks and springs. My top was torn by hail, so I needed to have that replaced.

General Comments:

This car is a beauty. Of course its not a sports car. But on the open road there is no question that this car is made for the road. The ride is quiet and smooth, and the car gives you the feeling of comfort and security. In the city it can handle its own. With the 307 engine it is not to much of a guzzler. I plan on fully restoring this car.

Review Date: 11th January, 2003

23rd Jul 2005, 20:20

Dude I just bought a 1984 oldsmobile 98 regency brougham. it has 120,000 miles on it. I'm the 2nd owner. tan 4 door loaded ' just needs air charged. so its smooth sailing 4 me.

1984 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham 307 from North America

Summary:

Better than a Cadillac

Very little actually.

Water pump (new one $29.99 installed myself)

Brake shoes and pads (cheap)

That's about it, besides things that need replacing like tuneup parts belts and tires.

General Comments:

This is a very comfortable car to drive down the highway. It may not handle or accelerate like a sports car, but for reliability, safety and comfort I would not trade this beauty for any thing. I wish they were still making these, I would consider buying one brand new.

Review Date: 19th August, 2002

6th Jan 2010, 16:44

I also have a 1984 98 Regency Brougham. It started leaking coolant and I am hoping it is only the water pump that needs replacing. It would be of great help if anyone knows where the water pump is located so I can make sure before I can get it fixed.

Thank you.