1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL SDN. unsure from North America

Summary:

Oldsmobile's favorite small vehicle

It only needed the inspection. Otherwise, nothing was wrong with car.

General Comments:

I bought the car off of my brother in law for $2000, and to this day, it was the best money that I ever spent on a second car! It's very dependable, quick, and comfortable. It's a shame that Oldsmobile went belly up because this car to this very day would still be a hot selling car. If you're a diehard Oldsmobile fan and like the small Achieva like I do, go out and buy one. They're great as second cars like mine is, but also great as a first car for the 16 year old kids.

Review Date: 13th March, 2006

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 3.1 V6 from North America

Summary:

Very reliable

At 68,000 kilometers, the alternator and battery were replaced.

At 88,000 kilometers, pass lock sensor went causing the car not to start. The car was towed to the local GM dealership and the sensor was replaced for $200.

At 90,000 kilometers, new rotors and pads were installed on the front.

General Comments:

This car has been extremely reliable in the 3 years I have had it.

While it isn't really a nice car to look at in terms of styling, it does have a lot of go with the V6 engine. The transmission shifts very smoothly, and it is pretty good on gas.

I have more than enough room in the car even though I am 6'3 tall.

This car always starts right up, even in -20 weather outside without plugging it in.

I just keep up with the oil changes and the car continues to run great without any major problems.

Review Date: 26th February, 2006

27th Feb 2006, 17:17

The 3.1 L V6 is a very good engine. I've had my 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera for 9 years now and has the same engine as yours does.

It has 170,000 miles now and still going strong.

I'd highly recommend these cars.

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SC V6 from North America

Summary:

Love the car its quick and comfortable

Replaced radiator and thermostat at 130k due to a crack.

Front rotors and pads replaced at 140k.

The front drivers window stopped working at 140k.

Passenger seat don't slide forwards it was like that when I bought it.

Heater works off and on.

Gets reals close to overheating and sometimes does, but there is probably somthing wrong with it and just need it checked out.

General Comments:

Very fast car beat a lot of sport cars in this.

Very comfortable and I like the looks of the car, but everyone tells me it looks like a grandma car.

Suspension is a little to much.

Good gas mileage, 22 in the city and 34 on the highway.

Take care of her and she'll take care of you.

Review Date: 1st November, 2005

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva from North America

Summary:

I love this car

I had to replace brakes and rotors. Just common things.

Nothing real serious.

General Comments:

This car has very good pick up and can outrun few sport cars. It's a fun car to drive being it's my second car. I was very impressed.

Review Date: 12th September, 2005

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 2.4 Twin cam from North America

Summary:

The Achieva is a fast, fun and reliable car, if you get the chance to own one do so

The only problem that I have had with my Achieva was when my alternator went out on me. However that was my own fault. My Stereo required more power than it could handle.

With just standard maintance the car runs great.

The only complaint I have was the suspension. There was to much roll when taking fast corners. The problem was solved with a strut tower brace and an Eibach pro-kit. Now I can whip through corners with hardly any roll.

General Comments:

The 2.4L twin cam engine is awesome. With 150hp at 5000rpm and 155lbs of torque at 4500 the Achieva can climb through any situation.

Achievas are cheap great running cars.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2005

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva LS 3.1 liter V6 from North America

Summary:

Good, reliable car with some unexpected power

The alternator went bad at 75,000 miles, bought one with a lifetime warranty for only $100.

The 'check oil' light comes on intermittently when there is no real problem (probably bad sensor).

Mysterious coolant leak, I replaced the lower radiator hose, but it still leaks. The rate of leakage is so slow that I've just been topping it off once a month.

Nothing else major beyond standard things like brakes, oil changes, filters, tires, etc...

General Comments:

It's pretty powerful and handles quite well. For what I paid for it, I'm very satisfied and will probably run this car into the ground.

Doesn't quite have the pickup of my old Cutlass Supreme, but it definitely isn't lacking in power. Also, the air conditioner seems to bog this car down really bad when accelerating.

Overall, it's a very reliable car that has never left me stranded.

Review Date: 16th September, 2004

13th Jun 2005, 11:27

I agree. Replacing alternator today at 173,967 miles. Repaired coolant leak 2x's. Plus power steering problems. Mine is a 1998.