1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 2.4L from North America

Two weeks after I bought the car the low coolant light came on. Bought coolant filled it up, and the light didn't go off. Changed to switch, and after a 2 weeks it happened again. Had the car checked out and it turned out to be the water pump front seal. Changed that for $400.

Moved and during the move the anti-lock brake system light and the Traction system light came on and wouldn't go off. They only come on in warm weather. During the winter they are fine.

My driver's seat is broke. They said the track wore out. Will cost $300 to fix.

Replaced a O2 sensor.

Replace both front and back brakes.

Driver's side lock/unlock switch works when it wants too.

General Comments:

The car is reliable. Only general maintainence, besides the water pump.

In general, I really like the car.

Review Date: 13th May, 2002

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 2.4L DOHC from North America

Summary:

The best car I have owned and I'm a Ford man

Brakes at around 55,000.

Needs front brakes again at 98,000.

Replaced the rear shocks at 98,000 and the front struts are getting soft.

The check engine light came on at 96K, but found it was because my girlfriend lost the gas cap.

General Comments:

Since I was 20, I have been a Ford fanatic and still am. Swore I would never own a GM car. This has been the best passenger car I have ever owned. Unfortunately, it is one of the ugliest cars Oldsmobile ever built on the outside, but I have always been fond of the way it rides and looks from the inside.

I was commuting between Denver and Salt Lake for 9 months on the weekends in a long distance relationship and managed to put 40K on the car during that time.

My advice about this car, keep the engine clean (mine looks new) and have the oil changed by someone other that a jiffy lube type place. They use crap filters. Get the PF44 AC Delco oil filter and use decent oil like Valvoline. Never EVER use Penzoil in anything!

I really can't say enough good about this car, I just wish it wasn't so ugly on the outside. I added a pin stripe along the shoulder and that helped with overall looks.

If you have any questions or comments email me brian31@xmission.com

One last thing, the long distance relationship isn't long distance anymore and she sold her Honda and now drives this car everyday.

Review Date: 12th January, 2002

12th Jan 2002, 13:35

What's wrong with Pennzoil? I have read that Pennzoil is actually a good brand of oil, because their oil comes from Pennsylvania, and has a low content of some engine-damaging substances (sulfur?).

I use Pennzoil in my Accord, and it has 252,000 miles on it, with no sign of engine wear. My dad has a '92 Sonoma with 152,000 on it, and it runs just as well as it did when new. Ditto my grandfather's '93 Park Avenue. And my brother's Accord, with 190,000 on it.

I have never had a problem with Pennzoil.